So only DCH drivers from now on with no Control Panel?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Prophet, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    So have I understood this correctly? From now on you have only dch drivers with no cp and you ahve to get the cp from the MS store that any sane person disables?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    try searching, this topics been beaten to death.

sapo_joe, Ant1Cheater and pharma like this.
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    CP installs just fine here on a non-trashed Windows 10 install.

TimmyP likes this.
  4. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Actually I did search and it didn't give any hits. You could have just given an answer instead of "lmgtfy". Gj. Let me guess it's been "beaten to death" deep in some 20 page thread that has 0 titles related to dch?

I mean if you have ms store installed your install is literally trash. Are you really defending this retardedness? Did you get a rebate for Nvidia giving you worse service or are you just white knighting what two billion companies do to get more control and give you less.

5. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I've seen no performance impact through having the Microsoft Store installed, but if you must remove it (for some mystery reason) then you can download the nVidia Control Panel from https://store.rg-adguard.net/ by searching for URL Link https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NF8H0H7WMLT on Retail. Download the newest version of the appx (currently NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.961.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj.appx) and install through Windows Terminal opened as Admin using
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "C:\NVIDIACorp.NVIDIAControlPanel_8.1.961.0_x64__56jybvy8sckqj.Appx" or whatever path is appropriate on your system.

6. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thank you much appreciated!

It's not only a question about performance. Bloat will decrease performance (generally speaking, especially if you don't debloat your system properly) and there is also the question of privacy. But the real game here is that they want to create a walled garden like Apple, and that's detrimanental to the consumer. This is why Steam started supporting Linux so well, they saw this coming a mile away. Soo Steam will start to function buggily just like Firefox had performance issue manufactured on YT several times. This alone should prevent you from using that abomination.

This is why MS did this, and I bet they paid a lot to Nvidia. They don't really care where you get your CP, they just want to normalize using the MS store.

Just the fact that Nvidia states "
    What is the difference between NVIDIA Standard and DCH Display Drivers?

Functionally, there is no difference between NVIDIA’s Standard and DCH drivers." should alert you something is wrong, since this is a lie.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Deleted member 164252 likes this.
  7. Yep, it's all about money. MSStore is their cash cow, which they are trying to enforce onto their users in similar way Apple does with their AppStore. It's unbelievable how windows install is waiting for the first internet connection just to pre-install all sorts of unwanted junk to the system. But most of their mindless sheeps won't even notice it, let alone realize what is happening. That is part of their business model, giving an app the priviledge of being installed on all systems means a lot of money. All they need to do is to make your live as miserable as possible without the store, so they can cash as much money as possible. And this completely irrational step of separating control panel from driver is yet another way to make lives of advanced users a bit more miserable.

zver999 and Prophet like this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I don't use the Microsoft Store, and it's not bothering me either.

Why is that being retarded?

Keitosha, sapo_joe and SyntaX like this.
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think he feels the software is retarded not you. He very well knows that insulting other members gets infractions.

Prophet likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Result 5 by Mineria

Myth.

The presence of processes does not affect performance without those processes actively performing tasks.

Also removing windows store basically breaks your machines ability to install updates for the xbox control, drivers and firmware gone out the window.

And out of date versions of the firmware is linked to app crashes and performance loss

PapaJohn and TheDeeGee like this.

11. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    All processes perform tasks or they wouldn't require processes. If they are running you have, usually, 0 control over when they do perform their tasks. And they take up system recourses. This is an illformed argument.

If you had said "Bloat/Telemetry processes take up so little system resources as to not affect other processes" then we might possibly be in agreement. And even then, once again, this is jsut a surface argument. Also that's assuming there are no bugs. Ever used bugfree software?

I would never connect my Windows machine with my Xbox for precisely the reasons I stated above.

Ps. Just remembered someone using the Ameliorated scripts on a regular windows 10 install. He had a huge difference in DPC. It was a while but iirc it was like 150 micro seconds so there goes your theory bloat doesn't affect performance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    zver999 likes this.
  12. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yes and I think that was quite clear tbh.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    A simplistic but very wrong thought.

a 0.0% cpu process is doing nothing, it might do something at some point based on user interaction or another service request but until such time its doing nothing

You don't really understand what a DPC is, apart from the obvious conclusion that high = bad the difference to performance between 50us and 200us is not measurable at a frame counter or by the user in input latency measurements.

Theres no methodology to just ripping everything out and claiming "more performance" because

a> it doesn't happen
    b> 0% tasks aren't contributing to dpcs.

SyntaX and TheDeeGee like this.
  14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    No, that's the very definition of a process. It's supposed to do something.
    I mean if you aren't an empiricist, maybe you shouldn't participate in these discussions at all? And making assumptions about what I know and not about dpc is just plain stupid.

zver999 likes this.
  15. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    DCH driver is fine. I used to use Windows 10 Pro with all the bloat removed (MS Store removed as well), NVCP installs just fine.
    Now, I'm with Windows 11 Pro, NVCP installs fine without MS Store.

16. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The bloat isnt a myth, on a VM, I was wondering why I had no space to install an update, installed wiz tree and discovered several gigs used by pre installed uninstallable (normally) store apps. Many of them installed in multiple locations as well.

17. Control panel should install automatically, regardless if Store is installed or not. I'm on LTSC currently (no Store), and UWP control panels still automatically install after driver installation. However, I have seen times where control panels sometimes don't install automatically, and in that case I'm unsure what to do properly to fix that (you can manually install the appx for it).

As for "any sane person", I'd say that any sane person wouldn't bother uninstalling Store :p If I'm not running LTSC, I normally remove all UWP apps (including Store), and then reinstall Store. As mentioned, Store is necessary for some device firmware and Xbox-related apps, and it's needed for some system-wide codecs too (AV1, HEVC, VP9, etc). In-terms of bloat, Store isn't an issue by itself; it's some of the other UWP apps.

18. Risedo

Risedo Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970
    maybe is not a myth
    start from 3:11

19. trancers

trancers Active Member

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2080
    But those got nothing to do with Nvidia drivers

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    NVCPL that is installed on my end is the one that is included in the driver, it is an appx install package.
    It should install itself automatically, else you can unpack the driver and run the .appx file, if that fails you serriously messed up your Windows installation.

View attachment 7564