For 2200 USD You Can Purchase this Gigabyte Z690 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SeriousSkeletor

SeriousSkeletor Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
  3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    How how many pcs they will produce and sell ? 100 ? Max. For 100 fanatics . Good job GB.

Maybe better focous on better BIOS updates ?

DanielRX, Sylencer and insp1re2600 like this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They are targeting the more-money-than-brains segment of the market who might also believe their CPU will OC to 8ghz.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    20+1 100a power stages not 24+1, not that it matters 20x 100a power stages even under LN2 is enough to kill any processor 2x maybe 3x over and are more than capable to be passive in fact doubt you will not even need a heat sink unless you use LN2.

6. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I think companies are using the pandemic, chip shortage, inflation, and the general economic atmosphere as an excuse to just charge any crazy amount they want. There's no possible way this thing can justifiably cost $2200, lol. Can't really blame them though when they see gamers snapping up 3080Tis on ebay for $2000 without batting an eye. Clearly there are plenty of people out there who are literally made of money because these prices don't seem to slow down the sales at all.

Keitosha, tunejunky and alanm like this.
  7. WeRoRa

WeRoRa Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8gb
    Might be the hottest board ever but that unjustifiable price and only 3 pcie slots is kinda sloppy :/
    Guess it will be the halo product for the rich kids out there.

tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sheer insanity. Though I'm assuming this is a product aimed at a show piece build, rather than a daily driver.

9. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Those insane prices have rendered the PC market uninteresting.
    It used to be that we were eager to see what's new, and many discussions were made in regards to whether there's value in upgrading.
    Now everything is so expensive that there's practically no reason to keep yourself updated.
    I'd go as far as to say, buying new components now seems like something bad that you'd wish you could avoid.
    Even if it's not the extreme case in the article above.

Keitosha and Maulet like this.
  10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Everything black except the PCI-E Slots... lol GG.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    - saying it only has a few pcie slots ?
    how to buy a motherboard in 2021 : study your needs first then download and read their manuals....not watch youtuber reviews or look at pictures
    bandwith sharing has been a problem since M.2 became a thing and even before that multi pcie slots only were "real" on HEDT plateforms
    previous intel gen had the bandwith for a single 3.0 x16 gpu and that was it, they were full of fake m.2 slots fake pcie slots fake sata slots you couldn't use because they disabled something else
    many of us went for AMD not for the performance but because of the lack of real usable bandwith X570 fixed that for sure
    there are some "real" multi-pcie slots motherboards this gen but not many because they had to sacrifice on something else, a few motherboards allow you to properly split bandwith between the x16 slots but no many, to take another extreme example, the glacial only really has one pcie slot, the other is disabled as soon as you populate the M2_1 slot with an nvme so it's great that they at least added a x1 slot or you'd have a 2000€ motherboard with only a gpu slot ><

- saying custom loop users only care about aestethics 1st then performance wrong
    let me sum it up for you, a 150w cpu is hot a 300w cpu is burning hot, not only will your computer become an oven but if you try to air cool that kind of hw all that heat will get dumped into your room and in a hot summer in a country where people don't live in air-conditoned freezers like north americans this means you can end up with 38°C in the room...guess how I know ! 4K video encoding with a threadripper + nvenc for 9hrs straight in august that's how and that's when I went custom loop, that was pre RTX3000 now that 400w+ gpu are "normal" you will be in the same situation we are at a threshold at which air cooling is just not doable anymore, if you have air-conditioning good for you but cooling that "opened door oven" won't be free

a custom loop has several advantages
    1) the heat exhausted by your computer case is only a few degrees above liquid temperature, rather than being an hair dryer set on hot
    2) with a custom loop the main heat is instantly extracted out of your case, less hot air in the case means cooler vrm, memory sticks chipset etc...also cpus and gpus because 50+°C air case (sometimes 80°C under the memory because that's where the power stages of a gpu are) is not better than my 30-35° (right now my liquid is at 28°C vrm 36°C gpu 26 cpu 35 the air exhausted is very slightly warm)
    3) temps on components almost immediately goes down after heavy use unlike air cooling, at the end of a 3dmark benchmark in 10s or less my cpu,vrm and gpus are back to their idle value as if nothing happened
    4) a custom loop isn't really quiet if you want proper cooling at max usage but it's definitely quieter than air cooling at low-mid usage for way better temps (30-50% lower temps for half the noise)

I recently played forza horizon 9hrs straight..average power usage at the PSU 620Watts, my room temp was barely warmer than the other rooms, when I was air cooling even with less watts I had to stop and open the windows or I would sweat, now it's not an event at all, thats what liquid cooling is for

warning ! there's a catch with liquid cooling, you think blocks are expensive ? or radiators ? or pumps ? not really the real budget killer are the fittings, someone talked about flexing ?
    I'll tell you where the flexing is on top design custom loops you see on the internet, they have at least the cost of a cpu in fittings if not cpu+motherboard..it's stupid crazy expensive

p.s. if they have a manual available I'll download and check how it compares to the asus glacial in terms of pcie slots etc..brb

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Aimed at the riches, fair play.

13. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    No. Not with that ugly flexing eagle logo. Just no.

Maulet likes this.
  14. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    I never understand why we "waste" ressources just to fulfil a niche.

Keitosha likes this.
  15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    wouldnt touch another gigabyte board with a bargepole, nevermind a gold carat one.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Agree its waste of money, most of the people or OC'ers still choose Asus Z690 Apex over this motherboard

You can have one of the best motherboards on planet but once your loop is not up to task deal with such heat then you know you are in troubles

Would love to see temperatures against the Optimus waterblock or even against the EK or Bykski etc how it performs

But £2k for motherboard is just madness

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

tunejunky likes this.
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    You are not alone with that, still have bad experience with their X58 boards

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My last Z87X-UD5H had USB 3.0 issues.

insp1re2600 and mig_07 like this.
  19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Might be useful for others but I did it for myself because I'm a potential customer for these

@Guru3d this would be a great addition to your reviews because it's something customers always have to do themselves if they don't want to have nasty surprises once they are finished building their "dream" computer

Z690 Aorus Extreme Waterforce
    PCIE
    - 1x 5.0x16 or 2x 5.0x8 (cpu)
    - 1x 3.0x4 (chipset)
    M.2
    - 1x 4.0 (cpu)
    - 3x 4.0 (chipset)

SATA
    - 4x sata 6Gb/s (chipset only 4 satas what ?)
    USB internal connectors
    - 2x 3.2gen1 headers (front panel type A) 4 ports support
    - 1x 3.2gen2 2x2 (front panel type C)
    - 1x 2.0 (internal might be a problem for complex rgb builds) 2 ports support
    - 1x 2.0 (front panel type A) 2 ports support (what? i guess this can also be used as internal ports but you need to use the provided cable for that)
    USB rear i/o
    - 10x type-A 3.2gen2
    - 2x type-C thunderbolt4
    ETHERNET
    - 1x 2.5Gbps intel
    - 1x 10Gbps aquantia aqc113c
    LIQUID COOLED
    - cpu
    - vrm
    - M.2A_CPU (cpu pcie 5.0 unsure if actively or passively cooled)
    - 10Gbps lan (unsure if actively or passively cooled but there's a thermal pad at the i/o)
    PASSIVELY COOLED
    - chipset (my x570 chipset is passively cooled it's bad 60°C at idle 70°C under use..too much)
    - M.2P_SB (cpu pcie 4.0) large heatsink (they are all together not sure this will cool well)
    - M.2Q_SB (chipset pcie 4.0) large heatsink
    - M.2M_SB (chipset pcie 4.0) large heatsink

Z690 Asus ROG Maximus Extreme Glacial
    PCIE
    - 1x 5.0x16 or 2x 5.0x8 (cpu)
    - 1x 3.0x1 (chipset small connector cards only)
    M.2
    - 1x 5.0 (cpu disables pciex16_2 and makes pciex16_1 x8 when installed no other infos)
    - 1x 4.0 (cpu)
    - 3x 4.0 (chipset)
    SATA

- 4x sata 6Gb/s (chipset)
    - 2x sata 6Gb/s (controller ?
    if it's an asmedia expect slower speeds)
    USB internal connectors
    - 2x 3.2gen1 headers (front panel type A) 4 ports support
    - 1x 3.2gen2 2x2 (front panel type C)
    - 2x 2.0 (internal) 4 ports support
    USB rear i/o
    - 7x type-A 3.2gen2
    - 1x type-C 3.2gen2
    - 1x type-C 3.2gen2 2x2

- 1x type-C thunderbolt4
    ETHERNET
    - 1x 2.5Gbps intel
    - 1x 10Gbps aquantia (model ?)
    LIQUID COOLED
    - cpu
    - vrm
    - chipset
    - M.2_1 (cpu pcie 5.0 unsure if actively or passively cooled)
    - 10Gbps lan (unsure if actively or passively cooled but there's a thermal pad at the i/o)
    PASSIVELY COOLED
    - M.2_2 (cpu pcie 4.0) large heatsink
    - M.2_3 (chipset pcie 4.0) large heatsink
    - DIMM.2_1 (chipset pcie 4.0) small heatsink
    - DIMM.2_2 (chipset pcie 4.0) small heatsink

the minefield is intensifying with all those different pcie types, m.2s and high bandwith usbs, make sure to study what your needs are and if the motherboard has what you want

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    In a capitalist world, nothing wrong with this.

Everybody else should just walk away and vote with your wallet to let Gigabyte know how much you enjoy them pulling a Kanye West.

tunejunky likes this.