Is it worth upgrading from i7 6700k to ryzen 7 3700x?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ramthegamer, Nov 2, 2021.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    1080p Ultra settings using roughly 6gb
    [​IMG]

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Everything is subjective, videos can be found of the 580 running mid 30's on ultra but with no stuttering and a 3060Ti running same settings with much higher FPS but stutters, both being 8GB cards and tests conduct by the same person.

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    welcome to youtube. that is why I asked for a normal test from a legit site,not a YT screenshot taken out of context.
    btw high framerate might mean it's cpu stutter,it needs a lot of resources to run high refresh.

5.5G on nvidia, 6G on amd.I think architectures don't compress data the same.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    In this example, VRAM usage increased by 1GB from low to ultra and RAM usage increased by 2GB also from 8GB to 10GB

Definitely pushing the limits though, I imagine other maps will behave differently as well as player count, does 2042 have any levelotion as well? (Giant destructables) I wonder how that will fair as the game progresses.

The other question though, is it VRAM actively being used or is it just allocated VRAM?

I also wonder if all settings are being applied properly as they are on the fly, if there is any different behaviour if the client is restarted after applying settings

Eitherway, this game definitely skirting around the barriers of 6GB cards and you certainly need at least 16GB RAM to play.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    For gaming and other media consumption, office work etc. I think would be questionable benefit.

For content creation, code compiling, vm host, a good upgrade.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's a pretty big upgrade for gaming

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    If it's 2x 8GB and 2x 4GB, it'll run dual channel. Remember, 4 slots, 2 pairs of channels - it'd be single channel if it was a quad channel.

I used to run 6GB of ram on my old Q6600 system, 2x2GB and 2x1GB, still operated in dual channel (before later changing it to all 2GB sticks for 8GB).

Passus likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Truder likes this.
  9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You still need a better GPU on top though.
    Check the Competitive and Ultra requirements: Minimum and Recommended System Requirements for Call of Duty Warzone on PC (activision.com)

If you can get a GTX 1080, RTX 2070 or 5700XT and either a 3700X + board or a 11400F (should be available at good pricings, no?) + board besides 2 RAM sticks that are fast enough...

I would stay away from Flex Mode, you probably too. :)

As for z490, it supports 2 DIMMS pr. channel, need another chipset for triple and quad channel support, but that is where prices go up.
    And as mentioned above before I finished the reply, it can be 2x8+2x4 which still is dual channel, I would better make darn sure that those sticks use the same timings etc.

10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol

2060.jpg

11. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    :up:

while this thread helped, im still unsure, with luck next time i could get a used 3700x for below 200 bucks (just today saw one go for 180) and pair it with a new mobo (msi b550 ~120 bucks say)

use case would be the exact same, min and 1% etc fps for online shooters, im on 1440p though

im so fed up with new prices and availability etc just want a cheap and somewhat practical upgrade and be done with it

necro edit
    on a 5700x now :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wait a little bit longer for the Alder Lake i5 12400 to get released. If rumors are true, it's going to be the best option for gaming on a budget. If, in the meantime, you run across a reasonably priced 3060Ti....grab it. Either way, avoid Zen2. It's not a good (practical) "upgrade" path at this point. If you absolutely have to upgrade your CPU right now, look at the 5600X and 5800X.....

Intel published a list of games that were, at the time, incompatible with Alder Lake-S. That list should have started to shrink by now as games and DRM schemes get updated. The compatibility issues were directly linked to DRM according to Intel.

Kaarme and Maddness like this.