Intel publishes list of incompatible games with Alder Lake (due to DRM)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It would be good if Denuvo was to die forever because of new cpu releases all the time.

I don't see that happening though.

Keitosha, nick0323, toyo and 4 others like this.
  3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    That's not too bad then. The only games I play from that list are the Assassin's Creed and Farcry titles.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's more likely some old games will become unplayable because Denuvo (or some other DRM) will cease to work with new hardware, but the game is so old that the studio won't release updates for it anymore, or the studio might have even ceased to exist years ago.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Piracy will make a big comeback then.

Not that it ever went away ^^

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It's a bad policy for a company, to give a much worse product to paying costumers, than what pirates can get.
    Denuvo and similar DRM have to go away. Paying costumers can't be victims to paranoid decisions about piracy.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dont rule out the incompatibility with some games in the future.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They have been the victims for great many years, and that won't change. The annoyance of needing to have the CD or DVD in the optical drive when playing a game fully installed on the HDD was the first, historical part of it, if we ignore floppy disk copy protections from even deeper in the history, preventing backups. Pirates never had such restrictions. Of course that led many honest buyers to visit a piracy site to get a no-CD patch, even if they had bought the game. So, the situation has existed for decades already. I doubt it will disappear.

9. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    There will be a time when you need a second rig or maybe a smart phone to run drm protected games two source verification of ownership

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    For games that are old enough where multiplayer is mostly dead but single player is still fun, you can always use no-DRM cracks. As someone who games exclusively on Linux now, I use those cracks for some of my older games.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand i am pretty sure that the not protected version might work on it... (Also those versions are generaly more fast than the original...)

I am clearly not for piracy, but i am also against those selfcalled protecting system,
    that are source of problem since they exist (as they are made more to earn money than really protect).

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Note to myself: to not buy CPUs with hybrid cores.

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's why i'm glad i picked up a 11700 instead, since i play older games as well.

I knew it was a risk waiting for Alder Lake, and i'm glad i didn't wait.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    they'll all be hybrid
    even amd is going that route,even though they can afford to use normal cores,power and space wise.
    p+e will be the new normal.

well if the developer wants not to sell games,then yes
    :rolleyes:
    same as with your "8g will be minimum for 1080p" :rolleyes:, i guess all 1660s,2060s and 5600xt will have to be thrown away then.
    it's a great performer,but I woldn't either at this point

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's disappointing tbh. I was seriously considering an alder lake build. This has kind of trashed that idea.

tunejunky and cucaulay malkin like this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Maybe not extreme/enthusiast ones.

PS
    But if you are correct, then to buy last not hybrid one and to play old games (happily).

17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    anyone who hangs here can wait for either AM5 or Meteor Lake, which is my recommendation based strictly on the likelihood of a new chipset as well to go with either/both.

given the power handling requirements of the mobo, which are never cheap (even @ $250), and the DDR5
    this equals a hard pass in my book.

this isn't anti-Intel, this is Meteor Lake will be so much better across the board - including power handling.
    and as for AMD we know that going to a smaller node will lower the overall draw even if there is another compute chiplet (tho' i ain't going to say by much @ the top, but core for core will certainly improve).

so my crystal ball is for Meteor Lake mobo's to be around the same price, but to last longer keeping the pin config for a bit (for Intel).
    AM5 mobo's will have the same price range as AM4 mobo's, including lower end B and A 6xx, not just the X 6xx.

buying AL is fine if you want to, but to buy a good 5 year system when you can wait a year and get a guaranteed bonkers one is beyond me.

18. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Has anyone actually TESTED these games to see if they work?
    I had no problems running For Honor (afaik this is not even patched), Star Wars Jedi FO and Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my 12900k, and I don't see any "compatibility" settings in the Asus bios.

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Legacy Game Compatibility Mode will be added via BIOS updates. Most mobos do not have it out of the box right now. Your comment about working games is interesting, do you run Win10 or 11?

20. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Windows 11. Asus bios with no 'compatibility" setting. Those are the only 3 games I have on that list (not going to spend money buying something just to see if it will run) :/

tunejunky likes this.