NVIDIA Hotfix GeForce 496.61 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Glowtape

Glowtape Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you mean on the displays, anything that remotely looks like a deep sleep option has been disabled.

The display wakes up, because the backlight turns on, but then it claims no DP signal.

2. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Recently purchased a new monitor, so its the first time I am using 2 monitors on my system. I have a 24" monitor connected to my GPU via HDMI, and the new 32" monitor via DisplayPort. My GPU is a 1080ti. Now the odd thing. If I plug the new monitor into display port 1 on the gpu, all is fine until a reboot. The motherboard logo appears, and I can enter the BIOS, but as soon as Windows boots, then the display says no signal. The same happens if I use the second DisplayPort. If I use the 3rd display port, then the bios screen appears on the smaller monitor (ie the one connected via HDMI), and the Window boot logo also appears on this monitor. Then as Windows loads, the new monitor will activate, and it switches on and I can use Windows. My question is why cant i use the first DisplayPort?

3. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    The NV Control Panel difference may well cause the issues, as I'd said in another prior thread. If we have background services turned off, which I do, in Windows... then you'll notice there is a slider for the "NV Control Panel" when using DCH drivers. That means it is turned off as I turn off background applications.

Maybe this is why the Standard drivers feel so much better, for me? Not sure, but they feel different

4. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW

Good idea, turn off all the background services just to add more confusion to your misunderstanding, which at this point feels like being gaslit by a confidently misinformed russian bot.

5. Glowtape

Glowtape Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If you start disabling services nilly-willy, you'll be creating an unsupported configuration. Sure, if a component in userland has a bug and is causing drama, disabling things may alleviate things, but typically, they're there to support operation, and disabling them may instead cause odd issues.

However, background services are typically waiting on signals and messages to do things. So long they're waiting on a message, they use exactly 0% CPU time. The waiting stuff happens in the kernel, i.e. the process calls the appropriate API that it's waiting on an object and then gets frozen, until the object gets triggered or an optional timeout happens. The thread scheduler knows what threads/processes to skip for scheduling and which not. There's no utility in disabling core services, if it's solely about saving CPU resources.

Also, I'm using the DCH drivers, where am I supposed to see a slider for "NV Control Panel"? I have NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem in the services, that's about it.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

7. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  8. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    I'm still using the 457.51's and couldn't be happier!

I've played Warzone every night for the past 4 nights and sometimes around 5 hours without a single crash or freeze! - What's even more cool is that Sharpen works in the Nvidia control panel, so I don't have to use Geforce Experience. As my friends have said, if it works why change it? - Latest drivers seem to be going the other way in usability

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I think I'm going to have to revert as I've been getting random flickering with these drivers with my 3080,I'm running at 144hz though DP, it's most noticeable when I'm browsing the web, running windows 11 with Ryzen 3700X and a Palit 3080 gaming Pro, I tried removing the driver with DDU and reinstalling in case something went wrong but still flickering.

Update
    Could just be my system but I reverted to 471.96 and flickering has stopped so guess I'll be waiting for the next branch.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    fluidz and BlackScout like this.
  10. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Crash to desktop in fenyx rising, also with previous driver, never had such thing with this game :confused:

11. blipbloopblapblup

blipbloopblapblup New Member

GPU:
    4080 Gigabyte Aorus
    I had a similar problem for the longest time... I have a setup that is quite specific with a primary monitor connected with DisplayPort and a LG OLED connected through HDMI. I do not have my TV on during boot-up all the time, and every time I had it in standby I would not get any signal on my primary monitor when I reached Windows log-in, like you say you're experiencing. This however would ONLY happen when I had connected the GPU and TV through HDMI 2.1, as soon as I tried a 1080ti with its 2.0b interface the problem went away.

I later found out that what happens is that for some reason, in my case, Windows 10 would change Projection settings (Win+P) to only show on the second monitor whenver I reached the Windows log-in screen, so I had to toggle Win+P until I got it to either the PC screen only setting or Duplicate.

This all went away when I updated to Win11, so if you are not against it, I would give that a try. I tried deleting monitor order caches in registry, endless Display Driver uninstalls, enabling start-up programs 1 by 1 etc etc, until I found out that Win10 itself, for some dumb reason changed the Projection Setting each and every time I reached the log-in screen, while connected with HDMI on my 3080 with the TV in standby mode. I should also add that the problem disappeared, in Win10, if I had only connected through HDMI on both displays, but with my primary only supporting HDMI 1.4 that was a no-go for high refresh rates. Hope my anecdote helps with your issue.

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  12. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    No crashes at all on various engines and games. Perhaps it's only affecting some models?

13. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    @ManuelG Hi, recently when i try to install this 496.61 driver in Windows 10 1607 LTSB Build 14393.4704 (latest) throws an error saying "this DCH driver package is not compatible with the current installed version of Windows.This system is configured to require a Standart driver package." :eek:

afaik Nvidia no longer supports Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 since 496.13 but this "Windows 10" 1607 LTSB OS still officially supported and get updates by microsoft until the end of 26 October 2026..
    the OS is not outdated or out of use. what is the reason behind this ? :mad:

is this a bug ? or what ? o_O
    thnx

venturi likes this.
  14. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX

I use several LTS OS iterations for home and in my offices. I’m still baffled at the push for DCH as those of us without appx or Ms store (some is choice and some is dictated by environment) are put in a gray area. I apologize to the diehards if I don’t see a valid reason for the dch push other than ms profit/ecosystem.

An OS should just host yer apps and get out of the way, period.

SatsuiNoHado and Shataan like this.
  15. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I am using Windows 11, will try using Win+P to see what happens, odd though that Displayport on the GPU's 3rd port works fine, this problem only affects ports 1 & 2, but the ports do work. With Windows running, if I plug the monitor into these ports everything is fine until a reboot. Something really odd going on.

16. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Nothing wrong with this driver for me.

I did some test forcing ReBar in Forza Horizon 5 (nVidia Inspector). I got some more FPS but also more Stutter count.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OnnA and cucaulay malkin like this.
  17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Stutter counts using ReBar ? Then it's not good.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Store is not required for DCH distribution on supportable non-consumer LTSC editions of windows, hence why the appx is packaged.

Theres something odd going on with this combination though on your systsem (Re black square), simply installing the nvcp shouldn't affect anything because its not a component that is always running, the components that are always running are installed whether the nvcp is or not.

LTSB is not a consumer edition of windows and is outside of nvidia's servicing capabilities due to lacking the ability to side load vendor applets, and deployment manifest changes / behaviors such as the concept of System disk only applets.

It's not a bug, please refer to this line by Microsoft:

Your OS is not in scope for support on 49x or later drivers, you will have to upgrade to a latest LTSC release or remain with the 472 security only releases.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    SatsuiNoHado likes this.
  19. BattleOoze

BattleOoze Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB
    My bad, hmm problem is fixed with old drivers. Ran some benchmarks with 471.41, back to normal now. Zero issues since I changed driver.

20. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Perhaps more tests are needed and not just three. I left it on and noticed no problems while playing.

I'll keep testing later, for now, I just want to play it.

cucaulay malkin likes this.