Review: Core i9 12900K processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Meet Intel's new flagship CPU, the Core i9 12900K. It is based on the Alder Lake architecture and is reviewed here. This time around, Intel was back at the drawing board, creating a completely new ar...

Review: Core i9 12900K processor

rl66, vestibule, Airbud and 11 others like this.
  2. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    This is how a new product should be: on the top of the table!
    I'm glad Intel can pull this off, now we just need to wait for AMD's answer to this.

Damn I love competition!

3. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks for the review,cancelled my pre-orders 12900K,motherboard and ram. Lots of stock near me,I do not play games at 1080p but thinking maybe I should.

Valken likes this.
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Making very large cores really pushed single threaded performance. Those large performance cores are going to be a thing we will all have to get used to. Its obvious we need single threaded gains and to do that is to make cores with many more transistors but those cores take up lots of die space and consume more heat. I was doubtful but I suspect this approach will take off seeing the results today.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, colour me slightly disappointed. I expected more. A lot more.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent review article @Hilbert Hagedoorn , nicely written and every bit of information is in there , thank you for the hard work.

Looking very good alder lake , amazing gains compared to rocket lake and vermeer. Only thing i dislike is the very high power consumption, needs at least 360 aio to shine.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Thanks for this great review.
    But there is one important thing missing: 1% low frame rate.

I was also reading on another site, and they found that some games have significantly higher 1% low frame rates on Alder lake. Especially with DDR5.
    This means that games will be a bit smoother to play on Alder Lake than on Zen3 or Rocket lake.
    I'm guessing that the huge bandwidth of DDR5 helps with data streaming in some games.

8. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the article, really enjoyed it. Will you be doing DDR4 v DDR5 at some point?

I'll be interested to see how the 8+0 12700k does for it's lower price, can the efficient cores be thrown away without much loss and how much power is saved over the 12900k? It's certainly cheaper of course.

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    What did you expect? This is very good and much better than 11th gen. You have to wonder what's the point of the i9 with the i5 so close and the 5900x/5950x still being highly competitive for workstation duty but overall 12th gen is a huge success for intel. They are putting pressure on AMD to make the next 6600x and 6800x cpus better for sure.

pimpernell likes this.
  10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Considering the small difference between the i5 and the i9 i don't expect much for the i7 i mean there's almost no room for it to shine.

11. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    @ Hilbert - Please do a DDR4 with TIGHT latencies at the same DDR5 speed so we can compare! 4800 or 5300 or whatever you can get your hands on.

You can just bench at 1080p to show the CPU scaling!

Strange Times and pimpernell like this.
  12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh I am glad Intel is in the lead again. AMD needs to do a better batch next again. So competition is win/win. Albeit Intel didn't destroy AMD in the slightest they did good.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    After reading the review, i´m having mixed feelings about this new CPU.

Performance is good, very good, specially single threaded but overall is not earth shattering compared to AMD, maybe with the exception of gaming, Intel´s pride and honour.

PCIE5 and DDR5 are some nice extras but not a must buy, at least for now.

The power aspect is a big disappointment, the little cores do very little to show their "worth" and the CPU is a power hog, it´s basically factory overclocked, something Intel has been doing over the last years to provide more performance.

In the end it´s a great CPU, but it´s not the second Conroe like some guys whished and it´s not going to destroy AMD.

Talking about AMD, all they need is price to compete against Intel´s latest but the question is do they need to???

Great review as always!

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Dang ! All the 2d and 3d world records have fallen at hwbot , every single one of the benchmarks alder lake beats everything else , fast little devil. Now is AMDs turn to crank up the knobs with 3d Vermeer refresh . Loving the competition !

https://hwbot.org/

yy.png

CrazY_Milojko and Cave Waverider like this.
  15. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    @chispy Oh no! Anyway.

@H83 AMD do need to compete on price now. They got a free pass and fleeced us last year, but fortunately they can't get away with it anymore. Unfortunately, they don't have to do much this time around just yet. Drop the 5000 series at most $30 below ADL and then slightly improve performance with Zen3D and come in at the same price point as ADL did. That's all there's to it - for now. Unless they really don't want to eat into their margins, in which case they will do nothing and wait it out, though I don't know how they expect to sell any of their remaining stock given what Intel have shown us here today.

Maddness, Silva and Valken like this.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What a fail of cpu. Techpowerup said it cant oc at all unless you put in some crazy volts in it.. nvm 100c+

Even 12700k looks on the limit.

Also gaming, meh.. 11700k it is then.

bobnewels likes this.
  17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I am probably biased, but isn't this a bit "meh"?

All these tricks, new memory, new PCIe revision and power consumption to end up at a maybe +5% in single threaded in the real world (with the exception of Hitman), and basically lose in multi-threaded to a year-old CPU. Intel needed this, but I think that even the Zen3+Cache will be equal to this, and destroy it in any power consumption metric. The price seems nice though, unless AMD drops the 5950x to 500$, which they probably can super easily.

The power consumption is indeed ridiculous (and that's from someone with a 3090).

The really interesting parts of this for me is really the GPU, and the platform itself, which looks awesome.

18. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    I know this is 12900k review, but that 12600k for gaming....jesus...for that price and crushing everything and staying within a whisker of 12900k....
    i would imagine the 12700k also having similar impact.

its like the 3080 vs 3090 situation for gamers...

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    1080p gaming seems always better than AMD...so it got it's king of gaming crown back, cool
    tempting for me and my unreplaceable lucky no ghosting 1080p monitor

thanks for the watts per core comparison, people who only owned 1-8 cores don't really understand that they multiply the watts and only see the "big number" something I only understood when I built a 24c threadripper PC if you overclock it and each uses like 3watts well that's +72watts overall and it goes very quickly...I managed to have my 3960x use 430watts like that O_O because I never tought about it and raised voltage too much (unusable even with liquid cooling cpu went to 100°)
    20 watts isn't bad for the new intels

p.s. just for comparison my 5950x with CTR 2.1 RC5 4750 all cores @ 1.35v
    CR23 29451/1609
    CR20 11373/638
    multi-threading is not up to amd but single thread aka EVERY DX11 or older game is noticeably better on intel

@chispy only logical that they fall Intel can be overclocked and tweaked also most reviewers seem to forget when talking about amd that high end gpus are hungry for faster cpu and memory speed, when the 3090 was on the 9900k I did have higher fps in several games than on my current 5950x

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I have a feeling DDR5 is where most of the performance enhancements have come from.
    I agree; but considering how expensive the E cores are, I guess it makes sense that they're still relatively power hungry.
    Especially given AMD hasn't yet moved to DDR5 or released their V-cache.

xIcarus and Dragam1337 like this.