Intel Core i9-12900K roughly 35% faster in Cinebench R20 using Maximum Turbo Power (PL2) state

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Not long to wait now. Really looking forward to your review and how it compares to Ryzen series

chispy likes this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    We are in the...

It has been a very long time since I've been so excited to see Intel and AMD fighting for the lead.

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ah yes, more Cinebench because that’s all we do with our PCs all day long.

BlindBison likes this.

5. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    240w to just be on par with the 5950x, which also performs even better when undervolted, is not really what I was hoping for.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ita gonna require some big ass cooling.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Got you covered[​IMG]

chispy, Ricardo, Airbud and 7 others like this.
  8. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Intel : Expensive as hell mobos that you will use for only one or two cpu generations just like in the past so you can't really get a good performance increase using the same mobo and upgrading the CPU.

DDR5 with a ton of latency from huge timings for a 50% increase in price over ddr4 and it won't even match it in performance because DDR5 does not work in gear 1 so you lose even more performance.
    And last but not least you get to pay Intel a premium for the CPU and the much NOT needed pci-e 5 because it's faster then AMD until the beginning of 2022 when AMD will launch something similar.

This DDR bullshit that happens every couple of years has to stop. If you double the MHZ and you also double the timings you get 0 performance increase from the ram . DDR3 1600 CL 8 is the damn same as DDR4 3200 CL 16 .
    We are getting f***ed by marketing hype with no damn real world change.
    One benefit would be from faster Cpu to RAM buss speed. DDR3 1600 would have a slow buss speed of only 800mhz whereas DDR4 3200 has 1600 buss speed. Currently the fastest buss speed you can get on intel 11th gen is 1800mhz.
    Also the fastest ddr3 that i can find is at 3200mhz cl 13 1.65V. So where the frack is the innovation ? CL 16 at 1.2v for the DDR4 3200 vs cl 13 at 1.65V for the DDR3 3200 ?

If DDR5 is supposed to get up to about 8400 mhz then this seems like GDDR teritory so why not just go for GDDR in a similar manner to consoles. You could still have gddr on the 128 bit buss for the cpu but since it would be gddr you could probably get a speed boost for games since you now transfer data from the now 128 bit gddr to the video card's memory in a more like for like manner meaning from gddr to gddr.
    Of course they will do that slowly over the years while milking every last bit of money from you and calling it innovation.

Also how much does cinebench score relate to gaming performance ? Can someone make a bit of testing and see the % increase in cinebench translates to how much % increase in avg 10 most popular games ?

9. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    During the last AMD release wasn't Intel going on and on about how Cinebench doesn't matter because only practical apps matter like office apps? Personally I have no use for a CPU that does well at Cinebench but it is funny to watch the seesaw here.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    No, that was benchmarks in general and lasted only for six or so months when Ryzen 9s were about to edge out Intel's 10th gen in gaming. They were back to quoting benchmarks as soon as 11900K was back on top in a couple of CPU limited titles.

Intel have already posted some cherry-picked results during their presentation. Looks like we're looking at anywhere between 5%-20% in games. That's either not much or a lot, depending on your point of view and the games you play.

BlindBison likes this.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The hype train continues. ChooChoo.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Enough already!!!!

Just bring them!

13. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    We're commenting on something that hasn't been released yet. Just as we did on the previous Intel releases... or from many other companies who haven't got anything good to sell at the moment. These are basically messages "don't buy already available stuff".

The reality is that 4790K is still kinda okay for games, 8000 series is more than enough, and if somebody wants max workstation-class performance, they've already got AMD. In my opinion, people with Intel 8000+ series, or AMD Ryzen 3000+, have absolutely no reason to buy it. Last week we could read guru3D frontpage news article about ASRock releasing thirteen Z690 mobos! 1 company, 1 chipsed, 13 products, just to add to confusion. And price.

Airbud and bluedevil like this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    next gen gpu and cpu min wattage willl be 250 min and 350+ wattage, cant wait to see feature. where i no longer build pc. price issue is one thing but wattage get get jack up year after year to have better perf is not progress.

curious to see what kind pef the squeek out of that crazy wattage jumps though

bluedevil likes this.
  15. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    You can see how bad the 11600k vs 5600x is when it comes to wattage on YouTube just search for Warzone comparison stuff. Spoiler the 11600 is using 40%+ more power for approximately the same frame rate.
    Considering that electricity prices have almost tripled in my country I think that power usage needs to show up in benchmarks so we can make the right decisions.

Ricardo and Airbud like this.

16. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Indeed. I never really bothered checking power usage, because electricity - though still relatively expensive relative to wages - was still cheap by European standards. That is starting to change. My annual energy bill has doubled in the last year. Tripled in the last two. And that's after I switched almost everything over to energy efficient alternatives (well, ok, other than the PC). I'm becoming more and more conscious about these components using a lot more power than I'd like.

bluedevil and Airbud like this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    The 12400 and 12600 would be killers in their categories !

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    They will come at worst in a month or two , while the top model tries to battle 5950's 16 fat cores with it's 8 fat and 8 slim cores .... On the mid range the 12600 will battle the 5600x , where the fat cores are equal + Extra slim cores , if anything it should be an easy win , maybe will force amd to drop the 5600 to 199 ! And it would be interesting to see how intel responds to that too!

Personally i am waiting to see zen 3d all i have to do is just remove my cooler and add a new cpu to replace my 1600 (and bios update), a 5800x or 5600x much lower on price than currently would be great ! Or their 3d variants . That said considering the reviews if i can move to minimal extra cost on the intel side after selling mb etc i might consider intel but will have to be better than say 5% better to deem that is worth the hustle :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    chispy likes this.
  19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I suspect that the 12600k will end up being priced closer to the 5800x , and a lower sku will compete with the 5600x (the 6core die without the E cores that they are making also making)

just depends on how badly intel wants market share vs margin.

20. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    1fps faster @4K gaming!.....Heck yea!, take my money!....

truly enthusiast website here!....:D

tty8k, bluedevil, Venix and 2 others like this.