Help with an strange issue with my RTX3080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nekrosleezer, Oct 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    hello everyone,

my videocard is behaving really weird since 2 days a go, it started while running Ubuntu 20.04 doing nothing just the desktop (i was eating) and when i came back i encountered a black screen with no response, hard reset and it didn't boot until my bios reseted (just like when a XMP profile or unstable OC occurs) , loaded default setting with just XMP enabled, and seconds after Ubuntu desktop load it shows the following.

[​IMG]
    I tried reinstalling drivers and old ones too through ubuntu recovery mode (command line) but it still happen.

I also have Windows 10 which i havent see this problem and i can play games like Apex legends, Half life Alyx (oculus quest 2) and new world, with max settings, no stutter & no lag.

I use linux for molecular dynamic simulations which doesnt stress the gpu since my ryzen 9 5900x bottleneck my rtx 3080 for this tasks.

I tried to update my MOBO bios (asus x570 tuf) with no luck. tried the new firmware update for black screen boot which occur for some RTX 30 series https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia...to-fix-blank-screen-boot-issue-for-these-gpus since i've been experiencing this since the day i bought the card (it only happen when using displayport).

update: restarted windows and just after windows was closing it happened again but it restarted normal after this.

Is the card dying because that New World thing? i always played with undervolt with decent temps of around 70° C

My pc specs

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

Mobo: Asus x570 TUF gaming plus wifi

RAM: 2 x 8 GB Crucial ballistix 3600CL16

GPU: MSI 3080 Ventus OC

PS: Seasonic focus plus GX 750W Gold full modular

Monitor : Asus VG32VQ

Thanks in advance!

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    When you reset your BIOS did you overclock at all outside of your memory? I'm just curious if you're seeing any issues with default clocks. 70 C is ok but keep in mind the memory on these cards get extremely hot.

Awhile back many 3080 and 3090 owners would experience various display issues. How many times has this happened since your display was reestablished?

If your still in warranty review the number of days you have left just incase.

3. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Yes when i reset the Bios i only activate the XMP (or DOCP) profile, the rest is default i dont like to oc my cpu or ram.
    The hotspot and memories doesnt go more than 87-89° C ( i use a fixed fan speed of 65-70% depending on the day temps)

It only happen when i run linux since two days ago, before that i was working doing some molecular calculation with also fixed speed to keep everything cool with not much noise.

To me it looks like a display issue with displayport.

And yes i have two months left with MSI warranty, but i want to know if it a software/firmare problem since i can game for hours using W10.

4. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    It's good that you can game for hours without any issues. That's a good sign for stability. The earlier production runs of the 3080s and 3090s were made with subpar memory and capacitors due to covid shutdowns and parts from different manufacturers.

I would check with MSI for a VBIOS update. To be honest I personally would play it safe and exchange the card. If you run into similar issues with the second card then there is a good chance it's possibly a firmware issue if your display port isn't damaged. My situation was somewhat similar and I returned the hardware. I found out it wasn't the hardware. Updates fixed the woes. I'm only suggesting a warranty exchange just so you know all options are checked. It's possible you may receive a later revision of your card.

Have you seen any glitches today? I would address this in the RTX 3080 Owners thread. There are some extremely intelligent electrical engineers and hardware buffs that could provide some great information. Hang in there Bro. I and many others feel or have felt your pain.

5. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I tried to run linux again and it completely desastabilize my system even after hard resets, had to shutdown like three times. With HDMI it goes to black screen instead of the picture i posted first, so it may be a linux issue since i can run windows just normal. im gonna send a ticket to MSI if they can help with the "black screen booting until windows login" at least, if not i will rma it. Thank you very much TDJ

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a red herring, bad hardware can have pockets of perfectly fine operation because of a wide array of reasons.

Maddness and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  7. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    No problem fellow Guru. I wish there was an instant fix to provide but with the firmware and VBIOS updates, the feedback is hit or miss. It's good that you have a couple of months left on your warranty. I hope you find some relief soon.

8. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Yes! What's annoying is that so many of these cards were produced and they're still in the retail chains. Many people who've purchased the 3080 and 3090 report the same similar issues. I've read that Micron is back to mass producing the GDDR6X memory all by themselves now. In regards to the capacitors they were from Gainward but I don't know if they contracted out their production or if the Capacitors were faulty from them. This is not my area of expertise and would like better clarification on this matter.

My card is a revised 3090 from Alienware/Dell. It is shorter in length and I make sure it has very good airflow. Since I've updated it, all of my no post woes have gone away. So far so good.