NVIDIA GeForce 496.49 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Oct 26, 2021.

1. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Thank you, however, I don't have anything chrome that I know off. I don't use google, I don't have their browser, I don't have Edge. I'm on the latest MS data center server 2019, chrome free, I have doubts its chrome and the issue only manifests with 496 series. Issue goes away with any driver reversion.

My OS image is static, I only manually update things I need, so if the only variant for bringing on the issues is the driver, and reverting the driver makes the issue go away, then the driver is the only variable at play.

I have an install of 2022 server I'm refining, and the driver makes the same issue apparent. So in both camps, the only thing introducing the issue is the driver itself, or something in the driver installation package.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    I did not get any driver feedbacks for this issue nor did we receive any reports through GeForce Experience. Please fill out the driver feedback form:

https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA

pato likes this.
  3. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Because sir, its a preference for some. This preference may be because of all the telemetry, lack of control, and other personal selections from the house of cards in their decision process.

For some the OS is just there to host the applications and should just stay out of the way after that. The OS is not a lifestyle, its not a friend, its not a virtual assistant, its not a source of ads, its just a base tool to host your applications and games on your hardware, and nothing else.

Its just a preference.

Back on topic.
    so far the issues are limited to the 496 series driver. I have noticed an improvement under the following conditions:

on 496.49 --
    if one has the MS store turned off, and does not allow the appx control panel to install the black polygons do not manifest. IE run without a control panel.

if one does the generic install with appx store capability the polygons return.

if one installs the driver with store disabled, appx service disabled and MANUALLY extracts control panel and installs it in the correct directory - the black polygons are gone.

So the overlapping variable is the appx install with store service. Do it manually, the issue is resolved.

This also support the logic as before this driver (496) the choice of standard existed. Now, with DCH, this is the first time I've seen the issue, and also my first time using DCH.

So if you install the driver and manually install the control panel. the issue seems resolved. So far this has been 100% reproducible for me.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Anything electron is based on Chrome, quite a few electron apps are now on the ms store, others include the twitch app, whatsapp, discord, GFE, Skype, google drive, EA Desktop, and many others.

Thats the trouble with the experiment platform, you may get autoenrolled for new features for electron apps and chromium stuff if you fit a group they haven't completely filled slots for.

Edge is strong armed into Windows 10, and the webview component that is used for things like the weather widget is now unfortunately a chrome based process, if you've installed 11 then even the task bar is now webview based.

Server 22 inherits some of the same issues.

Their developers have already reached out to yours.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It is not a general issue as it appears from that description though.
    So is it related to a multi monitor setup, nvLink or something else that us who never saw those black polygons to begin with?

6. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Several forum members reported the same issue on the prior 496.13 driver. However, I did not perceive a commonality such as video card, GFE in background, windows 11 or 10, multi monitor, or nvlink set up.
    In my case I'm only using one monitor but I do have nvlink. However I have been able to solve the issue. In my case it seemed related to the appx nv control panel and MS store.

Thank you

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I used DCH drivers for quite some time now and never seen the issue myself, but when installing a new driver I disable my network interface and go for at least a clean install and make sure to clean my DirectX shaders besides checking that Nvidia's are on a clean slate to, using DDU only on occasions, did use it this time though.
    So the NVCPL that is installed on my end is the one that is included in the driver, at least when using DDU that is, it is still an appx install package though.

upload_2021-10-26_21-0-36.png

Hog54 and pharma like this.
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't understand why you're using Windows instead of Tails, mate.

9. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    I felt the same when 10 first came out, but I gave it a try about a year later and actually really like it. A lot of the data collection can be opted out of on the initial start up of a windows 10 install.

Passus likes this.
  10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    They took out the cache setting out of these drivers. So I wonder if call of duty black ops still crashes?

11. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    yes Rims racing ctd with this driver.:mad:

12. Maulcun

Maulcun Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    They didn't solve, my screen still flickers sometimes.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    This cache setting?

upload_2021-10-26_22-56-45.png

Funny that the driver thinks that the OS is Windows 10...

upload_2021-10-26_23-0-7.png

Venix likes this.
  14. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    [Rise of the Tomb Raider]: Characters and background disappear and corruption is prominent when Anti-Aliasing is set to SSAA 2X and SSAA 4x. [200777463] Was this fixed in this driver? It was listed as an open issue last driver but removed in this driver but not listed under fixed in this release.

15. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    nop, its fine on this driver

cheers

16. Marcorelle

Marcorelle Member

GPU:
    interesting , what s the difference of shadercache size default between 472.12 (no crash of CoD CW) and 496.xx (With CoD CW crash) ?

17. aduh

aduh Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Windows 7 is for noobs. Win 98 for life.

18. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    That weird I didnt see the cache setting the first time I looked?I swear that cache settng in nvidia drivers didnt even show up until I loaded Call of DUTY black ops and the game loaded all the shader fileslol

19. Franzisca

Franzisca Member

GPU:
    2x MSI Nvidia GTX 980
    @ManuelG @Astyanax Hi, been a few years since I posted here. I never have any problems, until I do:

My monitor went blank during the update/installation of 496.49 like expected but the signal (displayport) never came back. I was able to blind navigate Windows 11 for a shutdown/restart and the driver installation appears to have finished successfully.

I played Guardians of the Galaxy for a while as well as Back 4 Blood and everything is fine. Is this something to investigate further or should I just leave it? No problems otherwise with this one as with any previous drivers.

System details:

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 FE (No OC)
    Intel i9-11900K (No OC, no default auto OC BIOS features enabled)
    64GB (2x 32), JEDEC Spec
    ASUS Maximus XIII Extreme
    Corsair AXi 1600
    ASUS PG32UQX
    Windows 11

Previous driver I updated from: 471.68 (Standard)
    496.49 Installation: Custom, clean, driver/physx/hdaudio, no GFE. I left Windows HDR enabled before I updated, not sure if that's recommended. Had to turn it on again after the update.

Best Regards

20. exdhawk

exdhawk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3
    496.13 and now 496.49 are causing my monitor (asus vg32vq1b) flickers sometimes.