Found my Old 3dfx card

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by tsunami231, Sep 2, 2021.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    pretty sure the pass threw cable was like y cable vga (2D) and VGA (3D) where mergered at the y end an single end went to monitor , if it was normal y vga cable i dont know, i could be wrong about it being y cable it been long time since i seen this card

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the vga cable was a male to female dsub, 2d operations were passed through the voodoo.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was looking at video install of one, I assuming by ide cable thing I sow in the video that what ment by passthrew? as my card only has 1 vga port

I think my was done via y cable cause if you look link i posted has picture of vga cables that are why cables

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats the sli cable.

vga passthrough looks like

[​IMG]

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your picture is picture of picture XD

anyway

[​IMG]

pretty sure these are passthrew cable for my card which are y cables to me even if there not wired the same i will still call them y cables :rolleyes:

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is for the card that had a rgb in for the 2d card and rgb out, my card only has rgb out. hence those card have the y cable post able it was quantum 3d thing from what i read i pretty sure if i use that to send my 2d to quantum 3d card i would have no way to hook my crt monitor back then which what it was hooked too, and my tv use the svideo.

I could be wrong but i pretty sure my card was set using the cable u used but the that y cable that was shown above.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  8. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I remember my Dongle being much thicker and a little hard to bend.

The blissful memories of gaming with 3DFX in SLI. 1024X768 at 100fps. Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, Shogo Mobile Armored Division, Jedi Knight Dark Forces II, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadows of The Empire, Half Life and Rogue Squadron.

Then along came Quake 3 and Game Over Yeeeeeeaaaaaahhhh!!! Well....the Glide wrapper helped but it just wasn't as sexy in 16 bit color compared to 32 bit.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    same, white/grey cable too.

i don't think you're remembering too accurately with duke3d though, it never had a 3dfx variant - shadow warrior did though.

10. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    :confused:

I know I'm getting up there but didn't Shadow Warrior get released during the Matrox Reign? I thought the Dongle was black for 3dfx/Voodoo2? Or am I thinking of the Crossfire setup?

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    1997, Build engine - MSDOS / 4GW Extender

Guess it depended on the AIB for the voodoo and voodoo 2, i see usages of both the black and the white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  12. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Man I wish I still had my old hardware. Looking at that beautiful Slot 1 Pentium 2 takes me back.

I installed 128mb of EDO RAM to ensure things were butter smooth. I think my drives were 4gb or 6gb. Windows 95 version B ran so well. I remember have the ATI All in Wonder as my base card. I also remember having a Leadtek TV Tuner for some reason and then later a Aver Media TV Tuner in a future build. Hard to believe that was almost 23-25 years ago.

I remember Shadow Warrior with Lo Wang. You woke up my memory in regards to Duke Nukem.

13. Lloyd_Braun

Lloyd_Braun Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus rog strix 3080
    I still have an old mobo, was a decent sli board back in the day. The A8n 32 sli deluxe or whatever. Still have it and a cpu and maybe ram on it.

14. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    Nice find. Did a little google searching and turned up the following...

Full name: Quantum3D Obsidian2 S-12
    https://vgamuseum.ru/gpu/3dfx/quantum3d-obsidian2-s-12-pci-3dfx-voodoo-ii-12-mb/

This thread talks a little about it using an special cable for the pass through.
    http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB62fe-3.html?num=1217385600/1

One of the Image's here show what looks like a special dongle for the pass through on a different Quantum3D voodoo card :(
    http://www.rashly3dfx.com/products/quantum3d.html

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  15. Uncle_BoB

Uncle_BoB Guest

GPU:
    RX480/8Gb
    "DON'T READ!"
    Quantum3D always has a great sense of humor)