Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max processors have up to 10 CPU cores and 32 GPU cores, respectively.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2021.

1. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Don't be silly. This is the same company that charges 1k for a monitor stand. Think I'd rather build a new gaming PC or buy an OLED TV, that's right, a whole TV which comes with a stand.

tunejunky and Undying like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Guys, let's focus on the improvement and scalability of the M1 chip.
    Let's put on hold all Apple related stuff, just look at the architecture and integration.
    In a way, their SoC is what Intel and AMD did, integrating the GPU cores in the same die, but within the silicon limitations and the x86 architecture.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Running x86 on these has been described as "unreliable" as a minimum...

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

why Yes, it can easily
    using 2020 MacBook pro for my DAW
    most money making acts use the MacBook pro for precisely that purpose. there is vastly more iOS friendly DAW software than not.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    uhh AMD only makes SoC and most of Alder Lake is SoC

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    not at all.
    although i must ask if it was a critical piece of x86 bound software why are you running it on ARM anyway?

7. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    The Dell XPS 17 begs to differ.

8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It has a lot more to do with the fact that Mac has been the industry standard for so long when it comes to music production. It's kinda like graphic design and Mac where back in the day there was a reason for everyone to use Mac, but those issues no longer exist

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    irrelevant
    the question asked was "is 16gb enough to run a DAW".

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Thing is, the mini takes close to no space and all my rack equipment with USB is supported by Apple as well.
    Will probably have to check what my DAW + Superior Drummer 3 and heavy plugins use together while mastering to make sure though, I should probably slap some virtual amps and IR's in as well, memory usage might differ a bit on MacOS though?
    My goal is to separate music production to an offline machine instead of having it all on one PC, I could build a small form factor PC for the purpose, but that will probably cost around the same to be comparable to the mini and still take more space,
    As I understand it, ASIO latency with low buffers is where the Mac with it's OS shines the most, for tracking I can't really have it low enough.

tunejunky likes this.

11. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Apple is only one company which tried make beefier ARM and really make alternative to x86.. and succeded.. it would be funny if even emulated Windows virtual would be faster than native x86 from Intel and AMD..

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It is but they have some pretty cool things. The memory bandwidth is higher than all AMD and Intel servers and that is in a freaking laptop chip. I know Apple gets a bad rap and rightfully so when it comes to prices but chip design is not something to knock them on. They are doing a very good job especially when chip design isn't there primary discipline.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Would it be legal for Apple to have their own PC game emulator? If so, why don't they do this? Having something Proton-esc would be amazing for them seems to me.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To have since few the normal Mac mini M1, i would say it's around a PC that have just a tiny less horsepower.
    It's not a bang for a buck (we talk about Apple a premium brand lol), but it is really a good price/performance ratio.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Brand (sheep) loyalty?

tunejunky likes this.

16. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Price is good considering what you get. Best display, best speakers, best build quality, best SoC, best battery life, best trackpad, best webcam, no jet engine fan noise, FULL cpu/gpu performance without power brick (!!!). All that and they charge similar prices to high end Windows laptops that are basically now outdated garbage thanks to years and years of stagnation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    You know SoC in the way Apple makes M1 is a different beast. AMD makes SoC only for consoles. Fact is no other laptop is as good. And I dislike Apple myself a lot and the UI the most. But M1 is a really good really really good SoC. Firestorm is a decent CPU it's not the fastest. But Apple has advantage having all of that one one die.

Now if Intel and AMD offered all of the things integrated on the die like Apple they would compete easier. Mind you their CPU's are a bit smaller in terms of transistors too. And Apple has the lead with 5nm

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It's not really a match. Especially when it comes to perf/wattage. Where M1 simply shines.

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Just. No.

Ryzen is a SoC, you must mean ARM

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Nah I mean SoC. If Ryzen is an SoC it's not complete as it does not have embedded memory. Whilst the APU's are almost there you still will need those ram sticks in your machine. You won't be getting that sweet 400gb/s memory speeds on any modern Intel or AMD system. Except for the console SoC's.