Incompatible PCs actually did receive the Windows 11 Patch Tuesday

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Well since they "sh*t the bed" with that AMD processor performance fiasco they at least have to fix that before they lock it down.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    They are worried about the scathing impression Win 11 might leave on too many ppl. So might as well let it work and be as painless an experience as can be for the majority. Nobody at MS wants to be associated with the potential failure of this OS.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    That windows team is adrift, with no leadership to set it straight.
    Every other week we get news about some Windows update screw up.
    Is most people and companies weren't locked in the OS, MS would not be able to be so complacent about quality control.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    They have to do nothing. Besides, modern AMD CPUs fullfill the minimum requirements just fine anyway.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    When people started to talk about AMD processor issue, M$ where already worked on it and the cache problem on the Intel side too (ho? no one make a drama for the Intel side? how? lol Who can benefit on AMD processor getting -15% on the new Windows?)...
    Also there is the start menu that freeze or deseapear sometime, there is the printer that stuck half way in certain condition, and more... See there is still some work to do.
    In few words: it's a fonctional OS, but it isn't bug free (as any OS at start) anyway it is still a nice Windows.

Like for "Cyberpunk 2077 drama" don't get on the drama train too fast, lot of people make drama or call everything "fiasco" to have follower, like, or just because they don't check the source, or ask to the right people if the rumor is true or not (being popular on social network is the plague of actual internet).
    About "incompatible" PC, check in the dev side on what W11 work and check the missing one on the normal W11 chanel... i guess that at one point lot of PC will become "compatible"... But maybe i will be wrong, who know for now? lol

reix2x likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Cyberpunk is just a game. Windows, meanwhile, is the most widely used desktop OS. When something mission-critical to millions of people has a significant and completely avoidable screwup on day 1, that qualifies as a fiasco. The word "avoidable" is important here, because imagine how many other issues are plaguing the OS. First impressions matter, and the last thing MS needs is to make people lose trust. So many people are itching to leave MS's ecosystem, where gamers and content creators seem to be the largest demographics who want an alternative yet don't have a way of getting out so easily. With all the strides Valve has made with Linux, gamers might just have an excuse to finally leave.

alanm and mackintosh like this.
  8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Microsoft only stated that unsupported hardware weren't entitled to updates - meaning users with such hardware wouldn't be able to request updates or fixes etc to the OS, they never said they wouldn't update the OS for such hardware though.

Airbud likes this.
  9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Is W11 the new Vista?! Looks like it...

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Exactly, there is a clear difference between "might not get" and "will not get".

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Airbud likes this.

11. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    There's plenty of stuff on the net about people applying workarounds to get Windows 11 installed on their non-Windows 11 compliant PCs. Doesn't sound like coercion to me. MS is pushing for hardware based security on PCs that use its new OS, and users whose PCs don't have what it takes are pushing back. My PC doesn't have what it takes. It has SecureBoot, UEFI, and TPM 2.0, but the CPU is a Haswell-E. Intel 8th gen CPUs and newer have hardware assisted Virtualisation-Based Security. Haswell CPUs have VBS, but when it is enabled game performance takes a sizeable hit. I actually tested this yesterday.

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Technically they did not say they would not get updates. They stated that they "may not" get updates. So nothing to see here, yet....

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To have worked nearly all my professional life in it: Pro NEVER ever install new OS at day 0 (sometime even some years after, to be sure it will be with near zero problem).
    Also "those who know" might test it at day 0, but never install it at main OS or if doing so, know what kind of issue it might get doing it (as i did on one "every day" computer with Ryzen).
    So in fact, there is not so much drama and fiasco than what some might want...

Totaly agree :) (optimistic about it)

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Imagine how other issues are still in W10...
    On real computer i agree Windows is still the main OS, but if you consider adding all "smart" things that we have around and that can replace computer, then Linux is already on pair with M$ universe, this is why since W10 and even more with W11, M$ are friendly with Linux.
    To use daily Linux and macOS (since few) even in game, i can tell that it's just an habit to take and it is not too a problem to play on linux or on apple.
    Last point 1st impressions might get you wrong (not only in computer... i remember a red italian car... but this is another track day story lol).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    The rate MICROSOFT is going windows 3.1 will look better and better.

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Naw its just in early beta. I'm sure it will bee fine in 6 months to a year.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Haha you don't have to tell me - I haven't run Windows on any of my PCs in years. I'm using it right now.
    I'm also quick to dismiss first impressions, because more often than not, they're wrong. My point is, most people aren't so willing to change, yet, most people are also easily influenced by the first thing they see. In the perspective of MS, these mistakes are costly.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How long was it from initial release of Windows 10 all the way to the release of Windows 10 1909?.....

That in my opinion is how long it took Microsoft to get Windows 10 to be in a usable state for every day use without standout bugs.

19. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm playing it safe and will stay on Windows 10. Now where is the 21H2 patch upgrade for that ?

20. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Ye im waiting for 21h2 too, gonna migrate to W11 around march.