NVidia dropping Standard Control Panel - Is there a Standalone version?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by EnthusiastX, Oct 13, 2021.

1. EnthusiastX

EnthusiastX Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    It looks like NVidia is going to drop Standard Control for drivers 496.13 and later. What does that mean for those who don't want to use MS AppX Store and refuse to have an MS account? I use PowerShell to fully remove MS Store AppX files. There is no way to load them on my PC and so far NVidia CP (or lack of) is the only problem...

Can someone create a standalone version of standard NVCP? There is NV Inspector, but it can't make some changes, such as forcing Ultra Low latency mode.

EDIT:
    Old NVCP file from the previous driver (472.12) works! The only feature it is missing is the Integer Upscaling.You just need the NVCPLUI.exe file to make it work.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My 496.13 driver still comes with the NVCP. That's the normal driver under windows though.

Shouldn't NvidiaInspector do lots of the stuff that NVCP does?

DanielRX likes this.
  3. EnthusiastX

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    If you use or have MS Store then it shows up, but I don't. There is no way to install it if you have MS Store removed or don't log into MS account.

4. Venomsword

Venomsword Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Elite
    No, that's wrong. I'm using debloated LTSC windows and you can install any *.appx file via PowerShell command. You just need to grab the correct installer file by using Online link generator for Microsoft Store.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm on LTSC windows, which comes without a store. I just downloaded it via GFE, I have not tested any other ways to do that, sorry.

6. EnthusiastX

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    There are ways to further debloat Windows (way past LTSC level) and remove ability to install any AppX. I use NTLite to rip away all AppX capabilities. All standard programs work.

I may need to wipe OS drive and re-install Windows 10 just to make NVCP AppX work, which is kind of ridiculous. It also makes no sense to have NVidia CP in a separate package to download from MS...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It makes some sense because in Windows MS Store app is the way of managing of all UWP (what you call "AppX") apps.

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Copy Paste from Driver thread:

-

I dont know what are you talking about guys.

DDU-> Install 496.13 and NVCP is installed, i didnt even get to the MS Store.

I dont even use NVCP, but just saying..

Edit: And i dont even have logged in MS Store, It was all automatic, so dont complain!

Gonna test some Far Cry 6 now, see you later.

9. EnthusiastX

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    The component files for AppX themselves are entirely removed by me (deliberately) to make sure MS Store AppX (except for the Shell and Settings) do not work. The issue isn't that new AppX NVCP is somehow broken, but that it requires AppX functionality. The good part is that "Ultra Low Latency" setting "12bit RGB" for my TV are the only settings I can't adjust via NVidia Inspector, but there may be no way to adjust them without NVCP (old or new).

10. EnthusiastX

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Haha! Old NVCP file from the previous driver (472.12) works! The only feature it is missing is the Integer Upscaling.You just need the NVCPLUI.exe file to make it work.

Can someone upload the NVCPLUI.exe from the latest AppX/UWP version? I can't seem to find a working link to it on MS Store Generator site (RG AdGuard).

There are 2 more things I need to be 100% happy:
    1. A way to create a right-click Desktop NVIDIA Context Menu with a custom path to NVCPLUI.exe
    2. Remove "Install NVCP from MS Store" message on startup that shows in tray area...

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Don't mess with Window installations, learned that myself the hard way when a big update didn't want to install properly anymore.

If it can't be uninstalled via the Apps section you're treading on thin ice.

TimmyP likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can suffer for your neurosis.

Sorry, but you brought this on yourself.

blunden and TheDeeGee like this.
  13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I dont' see a problem with this...unless it affects my W7 boot driver for older games :p

14. EnthusiastX

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    Can someone upload the NVCPLUI.exe from the latest AppX/UWP version? It is newer than the latest one from Standard drivers. I can't seem to find a working link to it on MS Store Generator site (RG AdGuard).

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The whole NVCPL AppX is included in the DCH driver package.
    Did you remove the default App Installer from Windows?

pharma likes this.

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You don't need to download anything from the store. The Appx file is included in the driver package and is sideloaded during the driver install.

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Did you get the standard driver version? Seems you got the DCH driver which does not come with NVCP and you must get it from the MS store. But apparently it downloads on its own, no idea, I always get the standard driver either way, I avoid UWP as much as I can, I do use it for some apps, but basic stuff tbh.

18. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    While you might have solved it for now, just know that DCH drivers are required by Windows 11 if I recall correctly, so expect this to become an issue with more drivers going forward. I doubt companies will bother making separate drivers for Windows 10 that aren't DCH when a unified driver that works on both will work for 99.9999% of people.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Do me a favor, download 496.13 DCH and inspect the folders with 7z or the like.
    NVCPL is included in the driver, even ManuelG stated that Nvidia started to do just that in the 496.13 thread on Guru3D.
    The only thing you do need is a working AppX installer, since that is what the NVCPL installer is launched by.

If you still don't believe me nor official statement from Nvidia's community manager try the following:
    Disable all network interfaces, remove everything Nvidia with DDU, do a manual check for leftovers (there should be zero with everything checked), reboot and install the driver, reboot and open NVCPL.
    Then you can re-enable your network interfaces.

No MS Store needed to get NVCPL with the latest DCH package!

20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    why castrate windows that far as a home user?