What generation GPU are you using ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cucaulay malkin, Jul 3, 2021.

?

What generation GPU are you using ?

1. Nvidia Ampere

45 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. AMD RDNA2

14 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Nvidia Turing

17 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. AMD RDNA

8 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. Nvidia Pascal

35 vote(s)
    25.2%
  6. AMD Vega (GCN)

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. AMD Polaris

12 vote(s)
    8.6%
  8. AMD GCN legacy (7000-R9 300/Fury)

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Nvidia Maxwell

9 vote(s)
    6.5%
  10. Nvidia Kepler

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio early adopter :cool: Was lucky enough to get mine about a week after launch. I assume part of the luck was that MSI got a lot of negative press due to the "graphene" backplate which only had traces of graphene in it and was rather a plastic plate. That and the high temps due to overly silent operation which was fixed later with the release of a new vBIOS. These things made the card a lot less popular than the ASUS TUF version.

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    True mate I was already happy with the 5700 and the cheapest 6700xt was near 100£ more

This 3060Ti is the coolest running card I have ever used

Timespy with oc of +120 core and +1000 vram (2065-16000) and it got to 51c at 70 percent fan which i still cant hear its that quiet

Undying likes this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yes but it isn't
    and i don't wanna buy a 650eur card that can't do proper RT either
    that was my big issue with Titan Xp that I was offered

weak rt performance
    no dlss to aid in running it
    I wouldn't if the price was the same

https://www.purepc.pl/test-wydajnos...icznych-nvidia-geforce-i-amd-radeon?page=0,12
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-wydajnos...icznych-nvidia-geforce-i-amd-radeon?page=0,13

quality rt is unplayable on 6700xt,it can do is some console level quarter resolution stuff but that's it

lol
    https://www.purepc.pl/misc/img_comp...ale_dodano_ray_tracing_i_directx_12_nc5_b.jpg

and they don't even do rt on glass surfaces,just water and metal

compare this to nvidia sponsored (rtx)
    https://www.purepc.pl/misc/img_comp...l_zdjecia/2020/wd_legion/wd_legion_rtx_01.jpg

everything has full resolution reflections and it looks on another level

amd's rt is pretty wack on rx6000,and especially the 6700xt since it's just 40CU with one rt core each.It's the main reason for me to put 3060ti over 6700xt,especially if for non-rt games they are exactly the same.

the difference in theoretical rt capabilities of 3060ti and 6700xt is worlds apart.that's no 5-10%

untitled-3.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Playing the numbers game, I'm not really sure "RT performance is worlds apart", that 1440p Metro benchmark, 3060ti is 49.7 vs 40.7 for the 6700XT - they're both sub 60fps there (I'm surprised the 6700XT is matching the 2070 super), to me, that's awful! 19% might sound like a lot but then remember... They're both in the 40fps range... (1080p the % difference is 13% at 66.8 and 58.2 fps respectively) Lower FPS typically means greater % differences, it's not really a true representation of the experience. As a result, you still need upscaling to make it acceptable or only play at 1080p (and we know DLSS has more problems with lower resolutions than it does higher resolutions). I will grant you DLSS is quite a remarkable technology that's constantly improving though, and the upcoming DLAA I think is a great technology, having AA that doesn't impact performance too much that looks fantastic is definitely a plus point.

Now I please ask you, don't take this personally, this is my own opinion, I don't understand why RT is a deciding must have factor on a mid-range card if it's still relying on upscaling to support it, and, if you're happy with 60fps gameplay - come next generation, those midrange cards are going to be obsolete for RT anyway. I guess though, if you're really interested in RT, you have the opportunity to play it now (I just feel it will be short lived, hopefully I'll be wrong in that assumption).

I agree with you that the 3060 ti is the better card compared to the 6700xt when they are the same price (and especially so if they're being sold at MSRP too, there's no contest) since it has the richer feature set but in my instance, I couldn't justify paying an extra £50 for a 3060ti, just to play a handful of games for their RT effect at 60fps on a 144hz monitor... But this is my choice and I wouldn't force others to enjoy their games the same way. Heck there are people that can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps and will argue until they are blue in the face about it but that can also be related to types of games played too. I'm also unsure of how much value to assign to RT capability, especially when it hurts performance so much. although to have a definitive experience you need to pay (currently) at least £1000 so perhaps RT is worth £400 on top of £600 for a definitive raster performance?

The market is constantly shifting, this generation of graphics cards has been some of the biggest leaps in performance in a seriously long time, they're both great cards and I think there' s a lot of undue criticism and lack of perspective going on. I honestly think Nvidia's mid-range of cards is great this time around as they are power efficient and perform well, but their upper range cards I'm not happy about, mirroring how AMD went with GCN, increasing the power limit (Fury and Vega - yes, my old Fury.... I didn't particularly like the fact it could do 300W and as a result, I'll never go for a 300W card again, just dumps waaaaay too much heat).

Eitherway, if anyone has been able to snag an Ampere GPU or an RDNA2 GPU, they'll no doubt be extremely happy at being able to play any and every game available currently at great performance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021

5. ern88

ern88 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080
    MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 OC

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    good grief,how do you even respond to this

1. the difference is lower at 1080p because rays are cast per pixel,more pixels=more rays=better card has a bigger lead.at 4K it's 28%.
    2.it's actually not rt that kills performance in tayga level but shading on grass.rest of the game runs superb,this is the worst case scenario,and still 3060Ti wins by 21% here.I would say it's especially important when fps drops so dramatically,40 vs 49 fps is a huge difference in the experience it delivers.Technically 40.1 and 48.5 are in the 40s range,but good grief,this argument on a pc forum......
    And btw it's native, dlssq runs close to 70fps here and looks close to native
    3. "still relying on upscaling" is a silly argument when dlss vs fsr are on different level.Yes,you can rely on one if it works well.
    4.No,one mid-range card is gonna be obsolete for RT,the one that lacks rt capabilities and support for image reconstruction technology that allows it to run it smoothly.

while both of them are mid-range,dismissing RT on both for the exact same reasons sounds like you just didn't want the 3060Ti in the first place,whether it costs more or less than 6700XT,does RT the same or 30% faster than 6700XT,has support for DLSS or doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    interesting how you've only picked up on my negative criticisms/opinions even though I've shared your sentiments on value.... The 3060ti is undeniably the better card when it's priced the same or lower than the 6700xt

Don't be so harsh on dismissing other people's opinions, my sentiment is that I don't feel this generation is good enough yet for RT, rdna2 certainly so, it's crap for that.

Edit: And yes, sub 60 average I think it's worthless, if it's not above 60 (preferably with no 1% below 60 either). For me it's unacceptable. That is my preference. (Especially when I'm more interested in pairing up with high fps for high refresh rate too).

26.9 vs 21.1 at 4k, a very meaningful 28% 5.8fps difference. You wouldn't be playing at this resolution on these cards anyway, they're bandwidth limited.... This is a pc forum after all, decent fps is what "we" (should I include you there?) like?

I understand that there are compelling reasons to use upscaling. It's a topic of contention I know, one I've sadly been embroidered with you and another forum member that had clear disagreements on before but I'm not going to deny that it works. If you like it, it works for you and you accept the results, that's totally fine and I'm glad you can enjoy it. I simply can't ignore though that it's still a concession, it is still rendering at a lower resolution, there's no denying that and it has the potential to mean that RT experience on mid range cards may be short lived. (Yes I acknowledge that this opinion is speculative, hopefully, performance will be reasonable for a good amount of time).

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    In the UK the 6700xt was near 100£ more than the 3060Ti I currently own

That is 100£ more for less features and lower RTX performance

I thought RTX was just a gimmick and in a lot of games it is but once I saw it in action it blew my mind

DLSS is also that good that I can not see a difference when using DLSS Quality

What was the last Nvidia card you used @Truder ?

Truder likes this.
  9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Yeah it's turned right around, when I got my 6700XT, it was £50 under 3060 ti on Overclockers, it's what, £800 for a 6700XT now? £200 more than I paid.... Crazy! 3060ti seems to have been quite stable around the £650 mark. (I don't understand why the AMD cards are so expensive, it's mind boggling).

I did try Cyberpunk and I can't really say the difference between RT and and non RT made any impact for me by the visuals but I think that's mostly due to how "busy" it is, it's overwhelming.

Oof, last NV card? Was a long time ago, 9600GT by BFG was a good card.

I am a bit sad that I wont be able to use DLAA, that really appeals to me.

Undying and Passus like this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    so is it the whole gen ? or is it rdna2 only ? cause you were quick to dismiss mid-range amperes too
    from my own experience, even a 2070 Super could run RT with DLSS,3060Ti can't do native but every RTX game has dlss 2.0 implemented,the last was sotr and it's been updated in the newest driver.
    tbh 3060ti with dlss 2.0 makes pretty light work of running RT even at high/ultra settings.I agree that 6700XT can't,but mid-range amperes like 3060ti/3070 do that easily with dlss.

yes,it is a concession
    you give up a little and gain a lot.
    as I can understand,the biggest concession in your case would be to use a nvidia card,I feel like your stance on dlss has little to do with the image reconstruction part and more to do with who made it.to me it's a little childish,I do have my personal preferences too,and number one is buying goods in accordance with my own economic interest.

yeah I can't see 6700xt really being cheaper than 3060ti.It's never been cheaper.And the difference is only growing.You can put stories about buying 6700XT's a lot cheaper into the fantasy genre.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Yes it is super stupid, I got my card from overclockers a week ago

I had to do a collection by phoning from outside the shop as it is still closed lol

Truder likes this.
  12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Everything under a 3080 imo but alas, another person that doesn't like to accept opinions other than their own.

And what the hell? Right around the launch of the 6600XT, there was a stock refresh of all the AMD cards, you could get the 6600XT at £375, 6700XT at £600, 6800XT at £800 and 6900XT at £1200, since then prices have risen while stock has dwindled.

Please, show a little courtesy, absolutely no need for your attitude.

Edit: Can't believe I have to do this...
    [​IMG]
    Now give it a rest with that attitude of yours.

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Alright lads let's just agree on the 1 fact that prices are just ridiculous all over the world

No point arguing on cards when prices are so up down up up up down and up again

Truder likes this.
  14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that is the scope
    you have opinions
    I have numbers and facts

you don't have to do anything
    except for calm down maybe

you took almost personal offence to me saying that 6700xt's being much cheaper than 3060ti's belong to a fairy tale genre

I don't know why since it's pretty much common knowledge.it has been like that for quite some time

here's 6700xt pulse,the cheapest of the decent 6700xt's (currently cheapest on geihzals) vs 3060ti gaming,the cheapest of the somewhat decent 3060ti's, showing prices for the last 3-6 months

how you can demand an apology from me for stating actual facts is beyond me.
    67003060.jpg

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    We know prices currently for the 6700 XT are terrible..... And we know mainland Europe is showing extremely poor pricing for AMD cards in general, you've told everyone that enough times in various threads around the forum. Anyone buying a 6700XT right now over a 3060 ti at current prices would be throwing money away.

As @Passus says, prices are wacked across the globe, UK we've had our own problems, AMD (or rather Digital River who operate "Buy Direct from AMD") wont even sell AMD reference hardware because of brexit! If you look on skinflint too, the UK version of geihzals, prices tracked aren't shown across all etailers, particularly Overclockers and CCL who've had the cheapest prices.

I specifically mentioned that it was possible for a brief time during August, to purchase AMD cards (of which I did) for a relatively reasonable price.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    enjoy,it's a great card.
    i was interested in it in the summer,but really,i can't walk away from ray tracing just for the extra vram.not worth it imo.

plus I was pretty much limited to rtx3000 here. I ordered a 3080 last september (!) and bitched and moaned so much to the retailer that they gave me a 220eur voucher (for anything really).decided to get a 3060ti since no other card was available for instant shipping.
    in the end 1070->3060ti is gonna cost me about 300eur.not bad.actually pretty awesome.

Truder likes this.
  17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Another advantage of DLSS is less vram use at lower rendering res.
    This is how 8GB cards with DLSS have no problem with memory hungry games.
    I use DLSS quality with Cyberpunk, its very good. Slightly less sharp than no scaling but a world apart from FSR in image quality and detail.

AMDs FSR is a handy tool for any card that cannot run DLSS and will keep many gamers a lot happier after not being able to buy a new card due to availability and/or pricing.
    But if you have the choice to use DLSS its a no brainer.

18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that true ?
    i thought it was the same.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    cucaulay malkin likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When it comes to ray tracing, if your opinion doesn't match everyone else's on this forum, they attempt to bully you into sharing their opinion. At least that's been my experience over the last couple years. Personally, I still see ray tracing as a gimmick. I don't even look at the charts for ray tracing performance in benchmarks. When I buy a graphics card, RT and DLSS aren't even part of the equation....and for some reason, that seems to upset people.... When I got both my 1660Ti and my RX5700, I had several people tell me I should have gotten a 2060Ti instead because it supports RT. And now, 2 years later, I still don't own a single game that supports RT. When a game I decide to buy finally requires ray tracing support, I'll either finally give a damn about it, or I'll just skip the game. We'll find out if it ever happens. For now, the only thing that will improve my gaming experience is more ram.....

Passus, Truder, Undying and 1 other person like this.