Is there such a thing as a PC case that...

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Danny_G13, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Has a 'reservoir' on the roof so you can exhaust air out the top but it's got a cover over that so it kind of masks the sound of that air coming out?

This is something I don't know if I've seen implemented - an air 'reservoir' that gives a notable gap so hot air can be exausted out of the top but it's not straight 'outside' but rather goes into a chamber at the top?

Means you can close the top of the case but still safely exhaust warm air out of it.

Wondering if that's a 'thing'?

Thanks!

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    [​IMG]

this barely works btw
    better have an open top and run your fans at minumum speed than use a hard cover top with vents to the back and to the side.or just an open top with no fans.

Dragam1337 and Danny_G13 like this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    NZXT Phantom 610/820

no longer produced.

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Be Quiet. That's not a command btw :D I jest, which model is that? Silent Base? Barely works though? Not overly promising!

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    dark base 900

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    For silence there are a few choices besides Be Quiet!, also comes down to how effective fans are at the duty cycles where they are silent.
    Not sure if I would recommend such for a 3090 unless you throttle it.

My current build has a ton of intake fans going at low speeds, 3080 Ti is also set to run with les draw than factory default, measuring 36.6-41dB with a meter at head location in my chair, can get it down to whisper silent by reducing fan speeds further but that increases motherboard and SSD temperatures.

IMG_0867.jpg

EDIT: You could probably also have your existing PC case placed inside a wooden cabinet with open front and back and some room between case and cabinet top.
    Probably a good idea to drill holes for bottom side intakes as well.
    Guess you could even use some foam in such to catch the frequencies that emit to the outside of the case and even experiment with DIY diffusers.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Danny_G13 likes this.
  7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Thanks for the photo, some points to note about your rig:

Interesting setup but your air pressure is curious? Unless you have reasonably the same number of fans exhausting then you're just accumulating excess warm air inside there. Could get your temps lower with reasonable symmetry of the fans? I've got 3x120 intake, 3x120 exhaust plus 1x140 exhaust.

Two intake groups cancelling each other out like that? 3x140 + 4 x 120? Intriguing, what are your temps like with that?

Sorry, I don't mean to criticise, I can see the 3 exhaust on the roof - that's an Artic Freezer AIO? My 3090 has an AIO as well, that's what I use for intake on the front - an Eiswolf 2. Maxes at about 66C but I think I've got that improved lately, Hitman 3 is struggling to get past about 55C.

Ok this is getting away from the point... which was about a chamber at the top, not silence! I've got silence down to a fine art. My PC is literally inaudible aside the c-states VRM coil whining. Which I am ooing and aahing about removing.

And just saw your edit - I get where you're coming from, but sticking a case in a wooden box to give it a chamber of exhause is a bit of a workaround rather than a solution. Not the worst idea, but equally I want to be able to see the case.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You have to keep some things in mind.
    On the case I got there the front restricts the airflow to some degree, regardless, the 3x140 + 7x120 are set so that the front and bottom intakes push the most 35-50%, side fans are going very low duty cycle 20-25%(could probably remove them).
    The fan in the back is set to work the hardest and the Freezer to their in between recommendation.
    Temperatures are not an issue, none of my 3 M.2 SSD are getting on the hot side with the intakes used like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Very good temps, is that with GPU OC or factory? Also, those temps with the aftermarket cooler?! That's... surprising! I've rarely seen an RTX sub-70C with the bog standard included cooler.

And 7 x 120? Where are the other 3x120 I can't see?

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    GPU set like below, with it's stock cooler, the TUF cooler can keep temperatures decent even at the cards factory stock settings though.
    With a full cover water block it will hit even lower temps, but couldn't afford one just yet, the card itself was expensive enough as is.

upload_2021-10-11_18-57-39.png

The other 3 120's are at the bottom of the case, you should be able to spot them on the picture if you look closely.

Once I get around getting a new loop for the GPU the bottom fans will exhaust trough a rad and 2-3 side fans will be removed for a flat pump/res combo, going to mod the front for less air restriction at that point.
    Those 3 Artic 140's can move plenty of air and are more silent than Noctua's silent options when going at high speeds, which kinda is a joke considering their lower price.
    Bought them after seeing a few Noctua users switching their Noctua's out after testing them, same flow but not some sort of annoying noise when going up in speed.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Component temps are directly related to ambient temps.
    Room ambient is always lower than -> Case temps, which are always lower than -> Water temps, which are always lower than -> Component temps.
    As the ambient rises, so will the other temps.
    So while a GPU temp of say 50c might be deemed as great, its only great relative to the room ambient.
    A GPU temp of 50c is not so good if the PC is in an igloo with the doors and windows left open ;).
    Thats why people asking for or quoting component temps is always a little pointless.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A wooden box isnt such a bad idea, I still use a table with my 6700K machine, in the living room as a coffee table.
    At the time the CPU was water cooled, the radiator was hidden underneath the table.

This was a dining table with its legs chopped in half, the table pullouts cut in half and used as sides.
    The base holding the PC was made from old MDF I had lying around.
    The rear of the table is open for wires and air to go in/out, now using large silent fans to circulate air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    pegasus1 likes this.
  13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Back when we have free reign over voltages and heat was always the limiting factor, i used an external wooden box for the Res, Pump and Rads, was a good solution and made working on the loop much easier.

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    This has given me an idea for a project, i have the following spare .
    1080Ti with waterblock.
    Intel 2700k with waterblock on a Gigabyte Mobo
    Various SSDs
    16gb Ram
    Loads of rads, pumps and res and fans.
    Corsair 850 PSU

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    My 750D is damned near silent just with the stock fans in the front (and the high airflow front panel), Noctua on the (overclocked) CPU and GPU whose fans barely spin up. Plenty of space for rads if you want 'em and all the hard drives in the world!

pegasus1 likes this.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Its a shame the monster basic cases went out of vogue, with the exception of storage it seems all components are getting bigger and bigger anyway, my 1200w PSU is a monster as is any top end GPU card. I remember having to buy a 120mm hole saw because cases only came with 80mm holes ha ha ha.

BLEH! likes this.
  17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I went with the 750D because I'm quite fond of the "unassuming black box" look nowadays, rather than the LED-fan strewn cases I used to buy...

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    The LED in everything craze is way out of control.

19. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    It looks more like a hospital bed than a PC with all those cables coming out :D, but you must have had a tonne of fun compiling that.

Mufflore likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah it was fun designing and making it, seeing it finished + working well, then so much quieter + better looking.

The white wind tunnels, water cooling and carpet roll are gone now.
    Instead there is a 230mm inlet fan on the left blowing a little toward the gfx card and a 230mm outlet fan on the right blowing slightly to the right.
    The CPU coolers fans (ye olde TRUE 120+2 silent fans) blow straight out the rear.
    Also a 200mm fan blowing across the hard drives to shift warmer air from that area.
    All fans are dead quiet.

There was some hard drive vibration but laying them on old socks fixed that lol.
    Nothing needs to be secured except the gfx card (green garden string takes care of holding it up), accidentally kicking the table will only dent my leg, nothing moves.
    Its been a great success, approaching 5 years old now!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    pegasus1 likes this.