Amazon: Graphics card manufacturers liable for graphics card failures in New World

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra and chispy like this.
  2. nehaxak

nehaxak Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1070 gtx
    Grand so Amazon, guess many won't be playing your game until it is actually really and truthfully safe to do so, because right now, it really is not safe.

Not risking bricking my 3090FE on the whim of crap gaming devs, no thank you.

Not a peep from Nvidia either on it being a driver problem, or that a driver update can or will fix it.

Funny how I can play RDR2 maxed out at 1440p with no problems, overheating or otherwise, yet I had issues with overheating in New World, actually, the 3090FE going nuts at random times with no explanation other than there being a fault with New World itself.

Sorry, don't trust Amazon to be telling the truth or even being capable of understanding and fixing the problem.

3. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    TBH Amazon is on point about liability, spontaneous combustion aint a feature. If a game pushes the HW to the limit, the HW should have its limit hard coded. If it can handle max 350W then it should never draw more than that no matter what the software is telling it to do, especially an application.

Now is it "bad coding" on Amazons part to code the game as such that it unnecessarily draws so much power in the menu of the game, sure it is. You simply dont buy it cuz of that reason. But if a game is able to brick your HW, talk to the people who made the HW.

4. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    watched Jayz2Cents video on youtube and the amount of very obvious coding errors makes it really hard to trust anything amazon says. I do not take the blame off the card manufacturers, as lately we've seen quite a few screw ups by them, but the stuff i saw about new world is very concerning and i would personally not risk bricking a card for a game that has obvious issues/faults.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I’d try it under warranty then get a card that didn’t do it back.

tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Can't you just set an upper limit to the FPS in the driver for New World (and in the future any game released by Amazon) and be safe? Obviously Amazon doesn't yet quite know how to code, but it's hardly the only company with such troubles. Mostly poor coding habits don't result in broken hardware, of course. Perhaps this incident also served as a headsup call for the card manufacturers to make sure their cards can't permanently fail due to anything present in software.

tunejunky and PPC like this.
  7. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    It's also very obvious from his videos that there's something wrong with at the very least the cards from EVGA. The cards from MSI which he also tests, doesn't display any abnormal wattage usage in the game.

In his latest video about the subject, he also comments that it appears clear that (some) manufacturers have not equipped their cards with a sufficiently robust power delivery system, to deliver the kinds of watts they advertise them as capable of delivering. And that this, coupled with the apparently not-so-tight wattage usage control in their BIOS'es (and possibly their hardware?), causes them to burn out, when encountering some admittedly bad code, which puts them under full stress.

Again, the MSI cards displayed no issues, never going above the wattage they were designed for, and not having their wattage fluctuate, but staying rock-solid.

New World's code is trash. But apparently so is the build and BIOS quality of some cards from some manufacturers. You can add in the list of other manufacturers besides EVGA which had their cards burn out from the game. This is a harsh lesson. You bet your ass you're going to see better power deliver systems, not quite so over the top wattage designs, and super tight wattage usage and fluctuation control from the RTX 4000 series partner cards.

carnivore, Exodite and tunejunky like this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    The MSI card in his video did go to like 110% power limit, while the card itself only goes to 102% in afterburner?

tunejunky likes this.
  9. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Got an ASUS TUF 3080 and im a bit afraid to play this game... cant find anywhere any evidence of them burning up though... anyone saw something like that?

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    In depth forensic work done by Buildzoid to a Gigabyte rtx 3090 that die while playing new world. VRM blew up and he was able to fix it after removing the dead power stage. Quick recap , some vga nvidia partners/manufacturers are using low end cheap components on their rtx 3090 graphics card leading to the dead of their super expensive rtx 3090s. Yes , cheaping out on components of this high end video card is what making the cards go Boom !

Worst offenders been eVGA , Gigabyte and Zotac.

DanielRX, Embra, Netherwind and 5 others like this.

11. Nedum

Nedum New Member

GPU:
    ATI R9 290X
    It doesn't matter how high your FPS are. Even at the start screen (60 FPS), my 3090 takes 340 watts (other games are around 180 watts) and the power level is between 100% and 110%! :cool:
    If Amazon says it's a manufacture problem, they are lying. New World is the only game I ever knew that behaves like that.

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Remember when furmark was referred to as power virus and not to use it to test your graphics card years ago, reminds me of that situation. Safety mechanisms was added to the driver to prevent furmark from damaging cards iirc.

Silva and tunejunky like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have to agree with Amazon on this issue. It should be impossible for any game to brick a modern GPU, with their multitude of built in protections, both hardware and software.

And if it´s true that only a few cards from certain brands are having problems while all the others are fine, then the problem lies with certain GPU makers.

14. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    What?...that's like saying...I'm gonna sue Hustler magazine for giving my wrist carpal tunnel.

DanielRX, ZXRaziel, GetMax and 14 others like this.
  15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Can i sue them for that!??? I´m gonna be rich!:D

Venix, Silva, tunejunky and 1 other person like this.

16. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Could you imagine how that court case would go!

Judge: On what basis do you make this claim.

Plaintiff: Your Honor, the pictures look so good my wrist was doing 1000fps!

GetMax, Goiur, carnivore and 5 others like this.
  17. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I have a EVGA card and would not risk it playing this game.

Mainly because of the general shortage of things, I don't want to have to do an RMA.

I can skip a buggy MMO timesink for now :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    cucaulay malkin, tunejunky and chispy like this.
  18. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Just undervolt your 3080 to 800mV if you haven't already, not like you need every FPS in these grinding MMO anyways.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    it could've been me...

i love mmo's and i was happy to hear of "New World" until i heard about "New World". i also love indie gamedevs but Amazon ain't indie.

not even going to try until six months from now when all of this should be sorted.
    i may be a geek ass early adopter but as i paid over retail for my rx6800xt and it's now in a loop i'm not going to risk it with the biscuit. or with my 2070 (tho no one reported probs)

Venix and chispy like this.
  20. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Amazon may be pushing card, but if there is an hardware limit why is that not reacting ?
    I doubt New World is pushing the cards over the maximum wattage the manufacturer planned. But they may be loading the cards at max all the time while the game run, where other game ease down between the pikes ?

Anyway, EVGA already states that all the cards during beta were slighly flawed, so a great game to know if your card has been perfectly manufactured or not ?