B2 stepping of Ryzen 5000 CPUs Spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kcajjones

kcajjones Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1.28GB
    I wonder if these might overclock better?

3. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    That God hopefully they are finally fixed.

4. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Fixed what?

5. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Fixed for volume production ! :D

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    LOL
    they've been in volume production from the jump. they're only the #1 cpu for enthusiasts (by sales) and in some regions the #1 cpu(s) overall

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Temperatures? I don't know...
    Hopefully the yield is better and prices come a bit down?
    Intel new CPUs must be near too.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Temps won't go down unless it has two active CCDs.

9. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    That is not how steppings are noted. That is a revision number and the two are not the same. Steppings refer specifically to the lithography masks. Revisions are changes to any step in the fabrication process and there are usually more than a hundred steps involved. Here is a screenshot from CPU-Z that shows how the two appear :

[​IMG]

As you can see, the revision of that chip was B0 so the new one is two versions later.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    with Ryzen, simply changing the IO Die without any change to the Chiplets can trigger a revision bump.

JonasBeckman and tunejunky like this.

11. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Yeah but mostly in DIY market, they still have to overthrown Intel in the OEM. I guess that B2 stepping is a small step to help.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yield seems fine. I'm already seeing the 5800X on sale for $370. Still more than I'm willing to spend but that's a hefty price decrease from MSRP.

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hardware bug fixes would be neat with less workarounds in bios or the chipset driver but yeah the cache CPU's was what I was thinking of too, thought there was a earlier stepping too but maybe the integrated GPU models didn't see any changes like that when those were released.

Not sure if the stepping had to be updated for the cache or not either, newer has to be better though something being fixed or whatever.
    Unlike hardware revisions were components are stripped out changed to be cheaper. :p

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    my thinking has the b2 stepping being the v-cache capable die ,minus the vcache, would make sense if they are going to use the same production lines as the current chips.

tunejunky likes this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Isn't it common practice for cpus to have more steppings on their production lifetime ? What is strange exactly here ?

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Considering the 12900K is rumored to cost more than 800€ I'd say 370€ for a 5800X is a good deal looking at price/perf.

schmidtbag likes this.
  18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    so far amd hasn't bumped the stepping for any of their zen cpus for a given product generation, (with maybe the technical exception of the 1600af, though it may not count since its on a different process node ). It's the first time in a while that we will see a product of the same name receive a newer stepping.

Venix likes this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Huh.. i am wrong then ! All these years i thought it is almost standard to improve yields and what not.

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    They do improve yields but that generally doesn't result in a newer stepping, steppings are usually changes to fix bugs or make improvements to the design.
    intel/amd used to release alot of steppings with penryn we got c0 c1 e0 all within a pretty short period of time all of which were retail chips, intel was also a little loose with their steppings too, they would make pretty significant changes, most notably the E0 stepping of penryn actually adds a new instruction and changes the cache timings allowing them to clock much higher.

nowadays most cpus will be lucky to see a couple steppings hit retail,

for reference here is a the revsion guide for old athlon xp chips https://www.amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/25759.pdf there are 13 different steppings! , then we look at 10h (phenom) and there are 12!, bulldozer https://www.amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/48063_15h_Mod_00h-0Fh_Rev_Guide.pdf there are only 2 publicly released steppings, zen 2 only has 1 retail stepping https://developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/56323-PUB_0.78.pdf , admittedly some of the older ones include engineering samples, but still they're definitely not releasing new steppings into the wild the way they used too.

probably for the best tbh, means cpus are less buggy in general.

JAMVA likes this.