Alan Wake Remastered

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Sep 5, 2021.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I never played the DLCs for Alan Wake so I’m glad to go back and check it out again. Also, I gotta disagree about Control just being a remixed Quantum Break, that couldn’t be any further from the truth. Control is one of the weirdest and best games ever made, and I think the collectibles really added a lot to that world.

Anyways, and this isn’t directed specifically at you but everyone here. Does anyone on this website ever actually like any games? Every single game thread I look at is everyone talking about how much said game sucks, nothing positive anywhere. Not looking to start a fight or anything, it’s just something odd I’ve noticed.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Alan Wake is personally Remedy's best game.
    But, Control and Max Payne 1 and 2 are right up. They are all so damn good.

Quantum Break is really good as well, but, does suffer from it's rough development. Where Remedy had to cut a lot of gameplay ideas to get the game done, and... it suffers as the only Remedy game not written by Sam Lake.
    But, still a fun title.

Undying likes this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    When I started playing Control, it immediately felt like a remixed Quantum Break to me, only with a female lead instead of male. I personally do not think the gameplay loop is that different, both feature characters that have powers that they can use to slow down time, pick up stuff and throw things around and both are set primarily inside fairly dull interior locations. They also both have you finding and reading lots of boring text to fill in the background story.

I finished Quantum Break (dear lord though, those life cinematics were dreadful) but not Control, simply because I found the experience way too similar. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree?

P.S. I'm not saying that Control or Quantum Break were bad games, there are both perfectly competent, but I did find both a bit disappointing, especially the former for the reasons stated earlier.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah noticed that too. I though my card is artifacting or having some driver issues since i updated to w11.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, given that Control and Quantum Break use the same engine... and look extremely similar.
    And, Quantum Break has Courtney Hope playing Beth, and in Control Courtney plays Jessie... it does make sense.

The main draw for Control is the story, the expanded powers and how the world shifts around you.
    Quantum Break was originally supposed to be a much more in depth game, powers, characters... all intended to be "more". But, a lot of stuff was cut to stream line the game and get it released. Which, disappointed Remedy a lot.

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah the setting of Control is really the draw. It’s not just a bland brutalist looking place, it’s a weird infinite, dimension spanning pocket dimension thing.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Definitely.
    I bought the Making of/Art book for Control. It's amazing.

I'd like to see a proper comparison between the existing Steam release and this remaster.
    All the comparisons shown are between the remaster and the original Xbox 360 release. The PC version already featured higher res textures, and some other updated elements.

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So the game appears to be running perfectly at 4k60 with settings at high, TAA on and MSAA/FXAA off on my 3070ti and 5900x. Seeing this at 16x the resolution and twice the frame rate of the 360 version is nice.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Found this comparison video...

Yeah, I'll stick with the original Steam release.
    I dislike that the remaster removed a lot of the fog effects, and a lot of the character models honestly look worse. While the facial animations are better, Alan specifically looks a bit derpy in the remaster.

-Tj- likes this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Looks like a completely different person.

11. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It all looks good to me.

Edit: after playing a good chunk there does not seem to be a lack of fog, there’s still lots of fog.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  12. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They changed Alan model to look more like Ilkka Villi the actor who played him. Also how he looks in Control's DLC.

Undying likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah this is the Alan Wake from Control. I dont have issues with that.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Closer to how the actor looks now (in the middle):

[​IMG]

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I see they removed that dark fuzzy fog effect when the enemies appear, that thing was what made Alan Wake so spooky.

Pass,.. will add lod sharpen on top and i have remaster as well

16. Eero

Eero Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Not entirely, Alan in Control has longer hair and a more prominent beard.
    And, the AlanWake Engine isn't compatible with Northlite, so it's not the same model.

It's them trying to update the original Alan model, which mostly is fine... but occasionally the updated model looks a bit derpy.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am unable to see the image you are putting here for some reason.

[​IMG]

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I like the new look in control btw. The older more experienced wake went through some nightmares. I hope thats where they will be going with alan wake 2 and new engine.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2