Farcry 6

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kx11, May 28, 2021.

1. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    And wasn't it FC3 or maybe 4 that had arrows on the ground to show where you should be driving your vehicle? C'mon...

But... at least its customizable.

2. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    I only have 50% GPU utilisation?? Playing at high res everything enabled and framerate is below screen frequency (v-sync enabled)

3. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    LOL 4K Ultra settings not starting out well on RTX 3080.Awesome
    fc6.jpg

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Blame leatherman for crippling the GA102 with only 10GB of VRAM.

5. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    It is sad,not the first game I had problem with on the 10GB. Selling slightly used crap RTX 3080. Well at least 2560x1440 Ultra HD textures work but on the max 10GB.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Warzone was the first game that 10GB of VRAM isn't enough for 4K/high textures and now Far Cry 6 which is on purpose because AMD sponsored it.

Witcher29 likes this.
  7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    With consoles having 16GB of memory, it's just normal that system memory and vram memory requirements are going up.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    With consoles having 16GB of memory available for textures etc, means the optimal VRAM for PC is 16GB for next-gen games. I bet RTX 4000 will be up to it even with mid-range/performance cards.

9. Wrong. 16GBs of shared memory is not the same as 16GBs of GPU-dedicated memory. PS5/XSX games hardly ever use more than 8GBs for GPU-related assets... including textures, meshes, shaders and rendertargets. Developers don't even have access to full 16GBs. 2-3GBs are reserved for the OS.

Maddness and OnnA like this.
  10. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    On consoles they have a single pool of memory, that can be accessed bu the CPU and GPU.
    On PC, because there are two pools of memory, there needs to be some level of duplication of data.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Who cares about consoles when playing on PC? New Dawn already trashed VRAM with HD texture pack (Nvidia driver just could mitigate it better with D3D11, unlike AMD), so nothing new or unexpected with situation being similar in 6. Do we pay for more expensive hardware to play with console IQ? Probably not, so we actually do need more RAM/VRAM...

Of course the game could run much better on PC with HD textures if it had better texture streaming. But it hasn't.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    game runs good but crashes if I dont have AA enabled.

running on windows 11

14. Duplication is in system RAM, not in VRAM.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It's the same data in both pools, so it's duplicated in both.
    The CPU has to prepare work for the GPU. So it needs to have some data going back and forth.

16. No, VRAM has only the data required by the GPU, while system RAM has some assets mirrored and some other cached. Data in system RAM is very different from the data in VRAM.

17. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    game on 3440x1440 on my womans rig runs better than it does on mine, same settings, hers a 5800x 6800xt and mine a 5900x 3090oc

made me emotional.

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The VRAM only stores what the GPU needs render the frame. This includes textures, meshes, shaders, framebuffers, as well as all the "generic" data needed to render the scene. What this data looks like is very dependent on the engine but it might contains stuff like objects transforms, graphic settings (used by shaders), lights, etc...
    RAM contains everything else like the actual game executable, sounds, and all the gameplay data. It doesn't typically contains copy of assets like meshes and textures that are already in VRAM.
    Things like animations or objects transforms can be duplicated in RAM and VRAM. These are typically things that get updated by the CPU every frame and then copied into VRAM for rendering.

19. Yes, you've just repeated what I wrote. So well done. Except of one thing... though:
    That is not entirely correct. VRAM is also used quite a lot for caching, because you can't push GBs of data every frame via PCIE. Let's say you have a texture pool with size of 4GBs. The amount of texture data used in one frame is usually less than 1GB, depending on camera position/angle, meshes in view and also screen resolution (because of mipmapping). The rest of texture data is staying in VRAM as a cache for "other frames".

btw dynamic objects matrices, camera world/screen/projection matrices or shader parameters, which are sent not only each frame, but also many times per frame, are insignificant compared to other data in terms of size

20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Like I said first, there is some duplication of data. I didn't say most of it, or all of it.
    The amount of duplication depends on the game, but there is always some duplication. Unlike what you said, claiming that there was none on the GPU.

But if you want to talk about cache, then this will increase drastically.
    A lot of times, ram is used as a cache for vram. So the CPU gets data from storage, loads into ram, and when the GPU needs it, sends it over to vram to be used.
    Data on vram, that isn't needed at that moment might get erased or it might just get put into ram, until it's needed. No point in going constantly to storage for the same data.