Windows 11 is up to 15 percent slower with AMD CPUs, fixes coming in October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2021.

1. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Guess I'll just wait a bit till the fixes are out :)

Airbud and tunejunky like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    According to Wikipedia, MS has 182,268 employees. You'd think they would be able to work on both AMD and Intel system optimisations simultaneously. If it was a company with 100 workers, it would make sense they would need to queue the work heavily, prioritising Intel in this case, due to the market share and presence in office environments, and only then look at AMD.

schmidtbag and Cave Waverider like this.
  3. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I've been running Win 11 on my 5950 for a couple of days now with no problems. It is noticeably snappier/more responsive than Win 10.
    Not playing games at the moment but if there is a slow down, I'm not seeing it running a wide range of software.
    Double thumbs up experience for now :)

sykozis, eGGroLLiO and tunejunky like this.
  4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Been saying that for long time.

Boost clocks of mine 5950X suffered with Windows 11 as well as the UI lag is horrendous.

5. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Well... i upgraded yesterday to Win11 and i think New World is doing better so i dont know what to say about this...

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Do you have any like-for-like benchmark runs/timings that you ran before in Windows 10 that you now also ran in Windows 11 to substantiate your claims?
    Because "i'm not seeing it" doesn't tell anything - is what any tom , dick or harry could say and be completely wrong.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Why would You upgrade ? There isnt any rational reason for upgrade yet . Maybe in a year or two.

8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    All my usual games and day-to-day software tasks appear to be performing the same on both my Intel and AMD systems. If there are performance issues, they do not seem to affect my particular workloads. Unfortunately, I did not run any parting W10 benchmarks before migrating to W11.

eGGroLLiO and tunejunky like this.
  9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You're asking this on an enthusiast forum :p people here buy 5950Xs and 3090s to run demos and benchmarks and never actually play videogames more demanding than Stardew Valley :p

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

mic drop

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah I'm thinking mid to late next year before I upgrade. I have a Ryzen 5800x build that is completely compatible but I just don't feel the need to be apart of this open beta.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    So that's what I've been noticing. I noticed that Windows 11 was really slow, even with an 5950x. Really bad that Windows 11 is released this way.

moab600 likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the time spent restoring my bricked laptop kept me from a clean install of win11.
    boy am i glad as i run a 5950x
    i'll wait for the insider update (gamma testing?)

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    And i thought enthusiast is about pushing the best out of your rig , W11 is not the best right now , any rational enthusiast will sit on W10 until W11 is patched enough :D

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's not AMD's duty to fix an OS, even more when M$ is informed of the problem and seem to work on it.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Early tester here. In my many years of beta testing Windows, my main pain has always been audio drivers, specifically ASIO and vst plugins, activation programs etc. Nvidia were always quick to issue fixes, so, most graphical issues didn't last long.

Windows 11 did initially crap out audio-wise as my RME HDSPE AIO Pro suffered from audio degradation, no matter what I did (I made full reports to both MS and RME). This has now been fixed by RME with the latest Totalmix 1.75 (as of this post). So, it's took about 3months to fix the audio issues, which imho is the fastest I've experienced, and that's going all the way back to beta testing WinXP.

Main changes for me is the taskbar positioning, copy/paste etc icons and some UI stuff, but, in all honesty it's Windows. There's really nothing dramatically different here for the end-user. I can honestly say I could be using W10 or W11, it really doesn't matter much as long as it runs my apps, games and music making plugins I'm happy.

tunejunky, eGGroLLiO and Airbud like this.
  17. Timur Born

Timur Born Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070S 8 GB
    In that case you should be running W10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update), because ever since Version 1703 (Creators Update) the process scheduler is bugged so that a single overload CPU thread/core can make the whole video output system stop.

PS: This will be one of the first things I am going to test on W11.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  18. gonsa

gonsa Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    But his patch is coming within the next Windows 11 update or something from AMD for us to install?

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Does it really matter? I mean you should install and keep up to date your chipset driver anyway.

tunejunky and Undying like this.
  20. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Upgraded my main gaming rig last night due to PNY causing major issues with a firmware update to my main NVMe SSD. Performance tanked just like with the Corsair MP600 11.3 firmware disaster. After a secure erase and install of Win 11 everything is right in the world again. So far I have not had a single issue or noticed any slowness versus Win 10. Games are running at the same frame rates as before, load times have improved enough to notice, and FPS are more stable than with Win 10. Just everyday browsing and file explorer stuff seems the same. All of my programs loaded and have not complained. So far I have no complaints. I have been running Win 11 since the alpha stages on a test bench so I have a good feel for it already. The patch from Microsoft will hit next week and AMD will probably have drivers out tomorrow or Monday. I am going to leave the rest of my Win 10 machines as Win 10 for another couple months or till I have a reason to upgrade to Win 11.

tunejunky and eGGroLLiO like this.