CPU-Z scores Intel Core i7-12700K at over 800 points.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm looking forward to the Guru3d's review and others. Depending on temps and power this could be the new Conroe for Intel after AMD had K7/ K8 ...... to put a historical slant on things.

Maybe I should have waited and not bought the AMD 5800x, it's good but it has it's quirks and overclocking satisfaction was never satiated. I wonder how these overclock with it's big core little core thing ?

3. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Also it looks like people who bought Rocket Lake wasted their money considering .... that now seems the ultimate stop gap processor whilst Intel concentrated on this.

Fediuld likes this.
  4. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    About a 20% single core performance increase over Zen 3. As predicted. But Zen3D will close that gap. I'm sure these leaks are only from DDR5 variants of Alder Lake.

AMD can simply reduce prices on the 5900X or others... But knowing Intel, Intel will just price these new CPUs even higher than current Zen 3 CPUs.

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    The only good Rocket Lake CPU are the budget one (11400K, 11400F), the high ends RKL are a waste of sand, RKL launch remind me of Kaby Lake before being succeeded swiftly by the excellent Coffee Lake 8700K

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Frankly, Alder Lake is a stop-gap. Intel took as many of their new cores are possible and "glued" more low performance cores onto them. Then they put in another, smaller CPU (Intel Thread Director) to tell Windows 11 how to use this new Franken-CPU.

All that stemming from Intel not being able to scale their big cores to more than 8 on the desktop. Alder Lake is a stop-gap.

Dragam1337 and mohiuddin like this.
  7. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    You don't like Intel, yeah I get it ... sigh ...

Having been putting in cpus back since the Intel 2086 I am bored of fanboys cutting off their noses to spite their faces on both sides. At any given time there is an obvious processor to choose.

;)

Mineria likes this.
  8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Don't get any hopes for OC potential. You have monster CPU for another few years , better sit back and watch the battle . Alder vs Zen3+ :D

9. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    It's nice to look forward to Kapu !

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, that was icelake.

11. If these 800pts are without OC@5GHz then we could see 850pts with 12900K and similar setup. Damn I can't wait for proper lower-latency DDR5s and some solid OC on these CPUs. These numbers look insane.

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    What are you going to do with it though? any GPU that benefit from fast CPU are 2000usd+ now :D

Fediuld likes this.
  13. Well there are other uses for fast CPUs apart from gaming... like compiling huge projects, rebuilding lights and paths, video processing... you name it.

btw. c++ project linking is still a singl-thread task which can take a huge part of your build time. With this CPU, that could improve significantly. But that would also mean I'll spend less time on these forums... so it's a win-win I guess :)

Krizby likes this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @haste you are overclocking systems that do compiling work ? oO

15. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    YOLO

16. Yes I do, but only at home :) Honestly I did this for past 20 years and I never had a single problem with this... or at least I hope I didn't... you know... nobody complained about random pointers flying around :)

Fediuld and Venix like this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The thing about common sense (obviousness) is it's not so common. There are people who get some pretty overkill CPUs just for gaming purposes.

18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    That's smoking my 5800x.

upload_2021-10-7_12-52-35.png

19. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Wow that's a blazing fast single thread CPU, i guess this is a best case scenario, i won't expect that much of overclocking, this CPUs automatically boost a single core as much as they can, i suppose that a good cooling will be very important to keep those nice numbers on single thread performance, in any way, it is impressive what they are getting and this is very good for us as consumers because this is the rate of innovation we deserve from years ago.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not really.
    I was forced to buy a new system to run my 3090 card because my 6700K system wouldnt even POST with it in.
    The beep code complained of system memory issues but that ram continues to work fine in the same system with a 1080ti.
    (it wasnt PSU or any other hardware issue than a problem with the mobo and its not worth replacing when it continues to work great without a 3090)
    Turns out Cyberpunk would have brought my 6700K to its knees, my new 10700K deals with it no problem so it was perfect timing.

Performance is good enough to last at least 2 CPU gens so I dont need to pay the tech tax for new DDR5, and I might get to see PCIE-5.0 when I next upgrade.
    Put simply, I'm more than happy with a 10700K. Its given me near a year of flawless gaming, I cant ask for more.
    It gives me plenty of time to watch and wait before choosing my next upgrade.

Mineria likes this.