ASUS releases VP349CGL 34-inch ultra wide gaming LCD with UWQHD resolution.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Could be a more sensibly priced gaming monitor but is any product from ASUS 'sensibly' priced? I should know, for sure. IPS is great for colours but not as good as VA for contrast and all those dark parts of the games we play. Refresh at 100Hz is too low for 2021.

Undying likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes Asus has "sensibly priced" products. but if you mean cheap crap made with cheaper parts, then no.
    Asus reliability is the #1 reason to buy. they are the Toyota/Lexus of the computer industry. the part quality of Asus is definitive, i've only worked in electronic manufacturing for over 30 years i can attest to that.

100hz is fine on a modern monitor. not all games are first person shooters. this should excel at mmo's and puzzle games and more to the point GPU's need to be matched to the monitor's effective frame rate.
    there are more GPU's that can play 1440p than can hit 100Hz on it, which also is game dependent.

VA vs IPS is another discussion for another time. most anti-IPS commentary i've noticed is from those without one.

Undying likes this.
  4. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    if you had read my post properly or looked at my current gaming set-up, you would see that I have plenty of ASUS products, partly for the very reason you make a valid point about. ASUS mobo, 3080 OC card, PSU & monitor!
    And please don't patronise someone who is already aware of the points you have conveyed from about 10 tech websites including guru3d. If you have no need for a higher than 100Hz refresh then that's any particular buyers private decision, case to case, but the clear message generally from gaming monitor reviews is to go for 144Hz (or more) in 2021 and ASUS themselves produced an ultrawide with 144Hz in the generation before my PG35VQ. The advantage of buying a component that might well be 'over-specced' for your original needs is that it will usually last a good long time (that's what I discovered with the components I originally chose for my last gaming computer that I made last for 7 years).
    Re your silly comment about anti-IPS commentary, as a number of people on guru3d know, I was very happy to own a Dell U2711 IPS 1440 monitor for the 10 years before I upgraded my complete gaming computer last November. Hardware Unboxed has reviewed a number of IPS gaming monitors and praise the good qualities of IPS screens. I would have equally happy with an IPS screen but the PG35VQ came with a VA screen.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i'm not a fanboy by any stretch of reason.

but let's "keep this real":
    fewer than 10% on Steam (ok not best statistics) can run UWQHD @ 100Hz.
    3080 and 6800xt owners combined make up <2%.

And folks are hanging on to their gpu's longer due to scalping.
    making a high refresh VA monitor without blurring and trailing is like breeding a unicorn. especially for (gasp!) productivity, where 21:9 has obvious benefit.

the black levels of IPS and VA are entirely dependent on the backlighting. VA panels can incorporate a simpler backlight panel whereas IPS requires more LEDs (for proper lighting) and suffers greatly from edge-lighting (the so-called ips glow).
    when IPS is properly back-lit the only thing better is OLED.
    a further note on proper back-lighting, FALD displays of any type are better than edge lit. but not all FALDs are created equally. the more zones the better, but like the top-of-the-line ROG (mini-leds) you can run over the cost of an oled panel which is innately superior.

while i do read reviews often, i read more industry journals and i just happen to have over 3 decades of personal experience with S.O.T.A. display technology of every stripe from working for a manufacturer. including design and set-up of broadcast sets for CBS, NBC, and Fox NFL programs.