AMD CPU hegemony will end when Alder Lake is introduced, says Intel CEO Brian Krzanich.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Intel new 2021/2022 CPU will beat older 2020 AMD CPU. How can that be ? Cool story.

Maddness, HitokiriX, fredgml7 and 3 others like this.
  3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah I kinda doubt ADL even manage to win by any noticeable margin against the 5800X or even the 9900K in gaming.

4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    IF it won't it would be major fail and disaster for Intel. That would mean they are 2 generations behind. If they beat Zen3 by 10% with lower power consumption then i would call it win for Intel.

IF they only achive better performance with very high TDP, that's not win , that's just older tech with more power....

5. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    3D cache could appear on zen3+ which apparently pumps up performance by 15%, so if AL is only 10% zen3+ could potentially still take the lead again.

6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    i'm more interested in power consumption , Intel is far behind here. Sometimes needs twice the power for same performance. No one needs 200W+ CPU for gaming... 65W 8core would be progress :).

7. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    In game Intel CPU barely pulls more power, maybe 30-40W more. Reviewers just like to use power figures during Cinebench

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I expect Alder Lake to perform well in games, significantly above Ryzen 5000, but I hesitate to expect low power consumption. Intel hasn't been overly interested in that for the longest of time, which is best demonstrated by trying to reach very high clocks instead of making the IPC better. If Alder Lake actually has all of them: 1) much better IPC, 2) high clocks, and 3) good power efficiency, then it would certainly be something else. Of course it would be good for the market as AMD would need to stay sharper.

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    cache can help yes, in situations where cache is an issue.
    But not everywhere. I m waiting to see since my 2700x can be replaced now with whatever is the last available cpu for the x470 platform

10. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    If Intel CEO said it then it must be true!:rolleyes::p

After all I am tired of "Lisa said that.." - let's hear "Pat said that..":)

I don't know if their Big/small architecture is the future - if so AMD is behind because ZEN4 will be a classic architecture - but they will need to be great in performance to convince me to invest in their platform with these crazy prices nowadays...
    I don't plan to invest more this year - changing from Intel to AMD and buying a RTX 3080 kind of depleted my resources and my other "baby" (my car obviously...) needs some love too but who knows...if they are really that great...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Intel without competition became stagnant and lazy.
    If it wasn't for AMD putting some pressure on them, we would still be stuck with 14nm++++, 4c8t for an i7, and no IPC gains for a whole decade.
    It's good to see that Gelsinger is able to turn Intel around.
    We need a strong Intel and a strong AMD, otherwise the market will stagnate again.

GSDragoon, Valken and barbacot like this.
  12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Which is likely most gaming workloads.

13. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    30-40W is no small number considering given performance. Im for tech progress , and progress = +performance/power/$ improvements..

If you just increase just performance with cost of power cost , it's not progress , it is stagnation.

And i don't care for colors , over past 10 years i used Intel because it was the best and nvidia . Now im on AMD i'm very satysfied . With similar power usage i more than doubled my performance ( 7600k +1060 GTX vs 5600X + RX6800)..

14. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Considering the IPC increase, AL should have no problem with beating Zen3 in gaming applications by a considerable margin. That said, this won't matter for most games now. Other than some notable outliers, most games are already adequately serviced by 4-year-old CPUs, let alone current ones. Throwing AL at them now is just wasteful.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    People just need to learn that a Non-K model is all you need for Gaming.

But i guess without that K you're not the cool kid anymore.

16. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    It was what it was - and some people are used to that . K models are just not reasonable anymore with little OC potential. Also power draw with OC skyrockets with little actual performance gain.
    Just go back to Intel 2-6th gen, K was , what you actually needed.

17. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah back then you can delid, apply Liquid metal and overclock the 8700K from 4.3ghz all-core to 5.1ghz all-core and enjoy like 15%FPS boost, since then the K SKU barely made any difference since all Intel did was just raising the boost clock close to the maximum clock.

Worst offender was the 11900K lol.

18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Gonna wait for Alder, i'd like another msi board cause their bios is excellent.
    This feels like a real step-up from intel this time around with very competitive pricing.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    lol after this trash talk if they dont deliver it will only hurt them even more.

20. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah I remember AMD with all the "poor Volta" trash talk failed miserably when their best GPU in 2019 (Radeon VII) couldn't beat 2nd best Pascal from 2017 (1080Ti) LMAO, and Volta wasn't even a gaming uarch.

phn0bwnobq7y.jpg

Today AMD is behaving much more mature, they just keep quiet and release their products.

GoldenTiger and Undying like this.