Microsoft adds Dolby Vision support to Xbox Series X and S games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD, TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    given that Sony is one of the biggest (and THE biggest premium brand) brands in TV, and PlayStation is (like) Nvidia to Xbox's AMD market penetration i expect this to change tout suite. not to mention that Sony uses LG's C1 panels as well as FALD displays for Dolby Vision.
    i would expect a firmware update (and i hope Sony's is done effortlessly thru wifi not USB) soon

TheDigitalJedi and Brasky like this.
  3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I've had some issues with with Dolby vision creating noticeable black bars on some TV shows. Maybe this was a while ago and the issue has been solved. But more options more better.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The LG C1's got the 4K 120hz DV update yesterday. Firmware worked flawlessly through wifi. Can confirm - using 48" C1 here :)

tunejunky and TheDigitalJedi like this.

5. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    And what about the DV support for Windows 10/11?

TheDigitalJedi and PrMinisterGR like this.
  6. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Tested this out while being part of the insider program. Dolby Vision gaming is nice. I like playing Flight Simulator in DV but I prefer Dirt 5 in HDR on my PC.

I excited to see Halo Infinite when it is released. The Series X coupled with the LG OLEDS is gaming bliss. It's great to see the DV 4K@120HZ update released for the C1. Hopefully the C9 and CX will follow soon.

PrMinisterGR, tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

"old song playing"

oooo, baby baby.!

jealous
    i'm an insider too but after bricking my laptop last month (cat steps on power during Update) then spending far too long DL (didn't accept game files on D:) from steam etc... there was no way i was going to do a clean install on my gaming rig with even more games on even larger drives.

if i didn't have to have that time-suck the new Aorus tweaked LG C1 panel had my evil eyes on it for Xmas.
    if my corporate masters are good then maybe i might be able to get it, if not i'll just buy the C1 so thanks for the heads up.

8. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Man Smokey Robinson and the Miracles have timeless music. :cool::D

The C1 is an awesome TV. The enhancements for gaming and SDR content truly shine on the C1. LG did a great job. I have the C9 and CX. My PC is connected to the CX and consoles on the C9. I'm thoroughly impressed with 4K@120hz gaming. HDMI 2.1 tech, Nvidia drivers and console operating systems have come a long way since 2020. I'm truly seeing the benefits of these displays. Some games look better in HDR while others look better in Dolby Vision. I feel Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos will continually advance over time. I am truly impressed with the current progress.

As of now Dolby Vision gaming is 60hz 60fps on the C9 and CX. The DV 120hz update is confirmed for the CX but the Jury is still out for the C9. I hope LG supports all of their DV HDMI 2.1 televisions with the update. When I gamed on the C9, CX and C1 I honestly could not see a big difference. Maybe marginal if you strain your eyes. The televisions are extremely close in regards to games. The C1 does have an internal gaming panel and tweak menu which is extremely cool. It can enhance the picture and it's nice. I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels on the C1 and it looked great. Movies and SDR content was truly impressive. I still give the edge to Sony in regards to Movie content but the C1 can definitely throw hands in a nice round of technical fisticuffs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    tunejunky likes this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Your friend and mine put this video together on the day, apps for not posting this sooner:

tunejunky and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  10. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Vincent Teoh has become one of if not the most respected T.V. reviewer on YouTube. HDTV test really dive into the technical aspects of displays and their abilities. Sometimes I wonder if testers and reviewers like Hilbert ever get any sleep?

I played my Series X on my friend's C1. This is indeed very impressive. Dolby Vision gaming on the C1 does feel smoother. Our test was with Forza, MS Flight Simulator and Dirt 5. To be honest it was hard to see a difference with Flight Simulator due to it being a slow paced game. Nonetheless, it still looked phenomenal.

The Series X is a technical little wonder. Now we need to see some 1st party titles specifically designed for this console. I would hate to see it have the same fate as the Xbox One X.

Powerful gaming hardware means nothing without excellent software to flex it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Loobyluggs and tunejunky like this.