Kozary's Quad SLI & RTX NVLink Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kozary, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink

I mean dual PSU with combined total 2050watts. I am still having some issues with the secondary PSU shutting off under heavy load, the highest GPU power limit i can hit without my PSU shutting off with this setup is ~105% or 275w x 4. It is an older 850w unit and must be pulling to much from a single rail.

On a single 1200w psu i could run tri sli to 130% (325w) no issues however quad SLI would crash at any power limit even well within what it could handle I'm guessing just to many things pulling amps at the same time caused it to trip out. I am planning to run 3 GPUs + system off 1 psu and 1 gpu off the secondary when I get around to it.

Yeah i would not expect a 4x pcie lane to effect folding or mining at all, gaming in SLI uses the bus much more heavily even single GPU barely touches the bus in games. My CPU uses about 210w with HT off and ~240w with it on in workloads, 170w tops in gaming.

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Lately, the very best Psu we ever owned has got to be Pc Power & Cooling in general.

My personal favorite back then has always been Enermax but alot of their Psu's are Multi-Rail, I only use for the most part: Single Rail Design.

I was looking at the Max Tytan Psu's, their 1200w's are very hard to come buy in stock, no one sells them.

For example, on our 3 Titan Xp's(Max Power Target) + 5820k(Slightly Overclock), + Boinc/Folding@home, its hitting around 950W on the Kill-A-Watt Meter, and on this particular system, we have a 1050W Pc Power & Cooling Firestorm, Just a 100W shy way from its max output and guess what? It handles the system like it was nothing, No Bsod's, No hang, No Nothing, at times we had it on basically the whole day, Not a single Burp.

In my old sister's Computer, Had another 950W Pc Power & Cooling, and she had that system for long time, Not one problem.

We had a 760W MK Silencer from Pc Power & Cooling, have not used it for quite sometime, it was left in the shed, then while digging some stuff out, I personally did test the Psu, using the paper clip method + using a digital Multi-meter, everything was in good standing but didn't want to take the risk as it has never been powered up in over a year so I didn't take the chance.

Then we also got Dual 1350W Turbo Master(Industrial Grade), From Pc Power & Cooling, never had a problem.

I did had a problem where I was using a single 1350w Turbo Master, powering my other System with 4x 980ti's + Single Xeon Cpu(12 Core), had couple of hangs, had to restart system, I then checked through Kill-A-Watt, it says 1330W+, so I had to make some changes within Boinc Cpu usage and Msi Afterburner(Power Target Change), Should be bit better now and yes, both of the 1350W Turbo Master is basically new, Got it like not even a month or so ago.

The one with 4x 980ti's, I was using Max Power Target(104%/Stock Bios), So I lowered it down a bit so the Total Wattage can come down to ensure better overall system stability cause I was basically using the total power of the Psu, so I backed it down a bit, should be alot better now, its now hitting in the upper 1100W to 1255W.

What I am using now on my 4-Way Sli Project(4x 970's), using Dual Seasonic 1300W Prime's, but these Psu went through Rma last year as they went bad on its own, lately they been doing excellent thus far, only time will tell.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Kozary likes this.
  3. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    On the note of PSUs something really odd is the case with my PC and I can't explain why but only what happens.

So i have dual PSU 1200w + 850w. I run the entire system plus 2 gpus off the 1200w and 2 gpus off the latter this enables a fully stable 105% power limit to 115% peaks sometimes causing the 850w to shut off due to spikes i imagine.

The 1200w PSU is capable of powering triple SLI to 130% power limit which is almost 1200w draw with the entire system included.

Today I tried to change it up and run 3 GPUs off the 1200w and 1 off the 850w. The result in Unity was fine, I switched to an Unreal Engine 4 game and the flickering and anomalies was crazy, fully missing textures etc. in an otherwise perfect anomaly free game.

Who would of known flickering can even go back as far as PSU, I knew motherboards can be deal breakers for SLI etc.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I have an itch to buy another 1070 strix (love this placeholder card I bought last year,im definitely keeping it as backup when I get a new gen one) when prices settle down and revisit classic dx9-dx11 era games,i'm skipping this gen anyway I think
    is microstutter a common thing ?

Cave Waverider likes this.

5. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    No not in my experience, it usually happens if bus bandwidth is maxed out or your trying to play sub 60fps

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    In my 4-Way Sli experience, there is Alot more pro's then cons but certain games, for instance: RE3 Remake, 4-Way Sli works Excellent but one problem, you have to crank the settings so crazy in order to get great scaling and in turn, you will experience Alot of Frame Pacing, in order to correct this, you "MUST" have the Fps Cap to 60(Vsync/If on 60hz screen), It's a night and day difference, this right here what basically saved the game on my side, if that didn't correct it, I would say forget it, Yes, Absolutely "BIG" stinkin' difference.

Alot of the Frame Pacing/Skipping Issues has to do with Crazy amounts of settings being applied to the game, as some games, I have to use this method in order to get Great Scaling, but I can tell you all now, out of my 2+ years of nothing but 4-Way Sli tuning Experience, I am going to make this perfectly clear, There is "ALOT" more pros then cons, but do I recommend it, Nope, Even though, Some games ran More then excellent, as before, if your serious gamer, I would go with 1 Gpu, hands down, If your a serious tuner such as myself or Kozary and willing to join into the Dark Side of PC then Welcome.

If a Gamer in general wants to go Sli in General and expect every game to run with 0 problems and Scaled out of this world, your going to be extremely disappointed individual in the end and that is why I always, absolutely, strongly recommend going with 1 Gpu, only exception to this, is only if your are a very serious tuner and don't give a dang how it turns out in the end, like me, I don't expect anything out of it, nothing more, nothing less or nothing at all, I wanted the challenge, this is the hardest challenge your ever going to get, do I regret it? Absolutely not, cause I attempted that no one has basically done, if you look at my thread, it speaks for itself.

Kozary likes this.
  7. Willian Bruno

Willian Bruno Guest

GPU:
    I don't know much about sli, could you explain to me how I work on the escape from tarkov:

8. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Bit of an update on Remnant from the Ashes. Quad SLI now offering significantly better performance over tri SLI. Not only that but Quad SLI works with TAA whereas 2/3way do not.

Surprising results one would think Quad SLI would be the most problematic but it can also be the solution.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Agreed, like in my testing, Tri-Sli fixes certain Issues, For instance, TAA, Especially in UE4 based games, No matter how you tune those Bits, your not going to get rid of the Dancing like anomaly while you have TAA turned on, Tri-Sli seems to fix this issue and overall Image Quality is superb over 2-way or even 4-way, certain games, such as the current game I am working on now(Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr), There is ways to lessen the dancing like effect while TAA is turned on, certain games, no matter how you tune them, nope, but in tri-sli case, it completely gets rid of it, even under 2-Way, its no where near close as tri-sli when getting rid of these kinds of anomalies, again, depending on game and situation.

Other things, such as certain post processing effects, like in Mortal Shell case if you read up on my work, you will see that 3-Way gives the upper advantage in this situation, and other certain specific situations as well. 3-Way Sli, in other specific situations, can give much better results then 2-way or 4-way sli for that matter, all depending on game and its situations.

Kozary likes this.
  10. BlackAce21

BlackAce21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 8GB SLI
    Hi, two questions: Any progress with Batman Arkham Knight and Control? I recently bought Everspace 2 and tried to get SLI working, since it worked very well in the first game. Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck. Any suggestions? It's an UE4 title but it seems like it needs quite some tweaking.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Didn't see your similar post until now.

I have looked into Control on my side, and this one will take a long time, I only worked on it for like couple hrs or so, this will take major time on my side, 4-way of course.

On the other hand, Batman Arkham Knight is another one that will require some time to tune, Another one that I went back into it again and taking another glance at it, yup, gonna take some time on it.

I will be looking into these games more seriously in the future, I have worked on them in the past, with the exception of control(Only few hrs).

Both games, from initial glance, ain't going to be easy.

12. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    I have not made any progress on any of those mentioned games, as bugbear states they will be quite difficult and i'm simply gaming with my quad sli right now rather then making new profiles. Got more games to play then i know what to do with now and my new 4k120hz panel turns me into a bit of a couch potato.

That being said i made a new 3way sli remnant profile that fixes the intermittent crashing in the quad SLI profile, i will be updating that post.

13. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Been playing around with The Witcher 3 in quad SLI. From what i have seen it works perfect no graphical anomalies and decent scaling seems a tad over 300%. I get an average of 130+fps in 4k vs a rtx3090(stock) 124fps average for comparison. Also using tweaked ini settings, lod distance mod and hd texture rework sitting on the 120fps vsync limit in 4k very nice. No custom profile just forced AFR mode rather then SFR.

edit- seems to be a stability issue with 3/4sli enabled.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Excellent work Kozary.

Question, what was your custom made bits?

I tried doing tuning with this game a lil while ago, actually, remember when I said that I was working(Re-working) on 2 classified game? Well, this was one of them, I haven't been on that game in quite some time.

I have manage to get the scaling kinda packed down, but, there was some graphical anomalies, extremely hard to get rid of, even for me, very difficult, actually, scaling was great, the graphical anomalies were hard to get under control.

What was your bits if I ask? Very curious, thanks for your ongoing commitment in keeping Sli alive, even though its pretty much obsolete, in the future, when more games are going to implement DX12 or Vulkan, you can kiss Sli goodbye, it will most certainly head to that route, that being said, there is always DX10/DX11 to work with so its all good, keeps us both extremely busy.

Granted, Quad Sli is nothing to joke around with, takes a very long time to get the hang of, especially if your learning everything on your own, not very easy, at times, yes, there is lots of frustration,etc, when I was working on Mortal Shell, hell, I was about to quit with that game, but I managed in the end to get it all working, Defin't one of the top hardest games I ever personally tuned, man, talk about being on the dark side, Holy Lordy, SMFH.

And best of all, after all this time I invested into this, not one single penny was made, I have looked into contributions and such but I totally disregard that, this was never intended to make any kind $$$, I am doing this for everyone, for those who have extreme interest into this or looking into it.

Love tuning, basically what I do, pretty much every day, I play games at times(kinda rare), all of my time, is completely committed and invested into my Quad Sli Project that's been going on for over 2+ years, what people thought that could never been done, I proved them all wrong.

EDIT:

Was completely blind about the bits you used.

So, you just forced it to AFR with factory bits?

I am looking into the factory bits for the witcher 3:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x080020F1

You couldn't activate quad sli as the ending hex: Digit 1, will force 2 way instead of 4-way, regardless even if you set # of gpu's to 4.

And also, you will need to also custom tune the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits as well to really get the Sli to even scale.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  15. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x2B0020F5

Simply that with TAA off. Scaling is pretty good of course there is more under the table. There does not seem to be any anomalies however i am not doing a proper playthrough just exploring the map and such and will later complete the last two missions as that's where i left the game 5 years ago.

I had a couple of crashes today when trying to play it, seems like stability might be an issue might of jumped the gun yesterday I had a 30min session running around no issues. I would say this game has reasonably good SLI compatibility though off the bat. Seems to be the very exact same issue i had in Shattered, after loading between levels scenes textures/assets disappear and that's the sign that the game is going to crash soon that was an easy fix through SLI Hacks and broadcast with Shattered. Will have a crack at it later in The Witcher.

Also under unknown 0x003846A8 set to 0x00000001 is necessary to have any scaling what so ever with the default SLI profile. I read on 3DC that this bit hurts scaling but for me without it enabled quad SLI is same fps as single gpu.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Couple things here:

1st: In regards about your Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits:

0x2B0020F5

First hex down: 0x2<<~~, on my side of tuning, this digit only usually implies when setting rendering mode to: Autoselect or AFR/AFR2, will not work with SFR or AFR_of_SFR(Hybrid/Combo)

2nd: In regards about 4 gpu's acting like one gpu performance, this is one thing that I can not stress enough, to make everyone absolutely aware, you "Never" Ever go by that gpu usage while tuning for sli or above, that usage doesn't mean anything, always check 1 gpu performance then hop on to sli or above and check differences there, people might think, yeah I got scaling to work, nope, only behaves as 1 gpu, similar situation of this, if you look back at my Dark Souls III 4-way sli project, in the snow area, you can clearly see on the video that all gpu's were at max usage but the scaling is significantly reduced and had to do some change within the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits in order to correct it, I know when I was tuning COD: Infinite Warfare, I celebrated way to early and thought all 4 gpu's were working, nope, I had my internal resolution set to where I thought I had it set and among other things, totally caught me off guard, you got to be careful while tuning, and don't celebrate until the FAT lady SiNgS.

17. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Greedfall SLI

Broadcast
    - 0x000008BA
    Compatibility - 0x8A9D25F5
    SLI Copy Engine - 0x00000002

Extra:
    MCLINKINSTANCED_LIMIT:
    0x00000064 Default - Threshold in megabytes for using of RT/ZB allocations as LinkInstanced (SLI DX9/10).
    SYSMEMCACHEDCOPYBEHAVIOR: 0x00000002 ALLOW_FOR_TEXTURES_WITH_SUBRESOURCES - Allow for textures with mips.

Unknown:
    0x00ACBCC1:
    (1 Profile) 0x00000011 (Star Wars: Battlefront II (2017))
    0x00C9F6F1: (4 Profiles) 0x0000000F (Battlefield 1, Plants vs Zombies Garden,etc)
    0x00CBE005: (1 Profile): 0x00000001 (Space Junkies)
    0x809D5F60: (399 Profiles): 0x08000001 (Battlefield 1, Sid Meier's Civilization VI,etc)

Game settings - SSAO - Off

AMD BugBears quad SLI bits with the SLI hack removed works great post here. The hack was causing missing textures and stuttering/hitching. I'm quite far into the game and have not had a single issue playing with 4k 120fps with Vsync very smooth and consistent.

With Reshade and RTGI which works flawlessly the scaling is great even from 3 to 4way its almost perfect actually. Without reshade 3 to 4way is negligible. There is no flickering or unusual artifacts.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Thanks for posting this.

Also, the use of SSAO will further put stress on to the gpu's, I would recommend using it, unless its causing issues with your tuning, then shut it off.

I wasn't really into reshade during the time I was doing this game, I would say I would highly recommend doing Reshade if tuning in similar method, a game I might look back into, this time with reshade, thanks for posting.

EDIT:

You mentioned about ghosting, are you using TAA within the in-game settings by any chance? Its been some time since I been on this game, Can't remember if the game does infact use TAA, cause TAA is extremely well known to cause this during SLI, if it does, ever tried using TAA under Reshade? It will give a slight blur trail though but nothing to serious.

I mean, there is ways to lessen the dancing looking anomaly while using TAA, UE4 games are very well known to this, even you really tuned it to the buggery, it is it not very easy to get rid of, that and or the serious blur trail, a very good example of this nasty A$$ anomaly is the game: The Technomancer, that game has a very serious TAA anomaly issue(Star Wars Lightsaber like anomaly), best to use Reshade TAA with that game, even then, the stock in-game TAA far surpasses anything that TAA within reshade has to offer by a long shot, so this means, if you played the game at 1600p with the in-game maxed AA settings, the overall IQ(Image Quality) will look far superior when the game is @ 4k(2400p), "WITHOUT" AA, so keep this in mind.

I did mention about this in the past, however that being said, every game and their reaction will be completely different.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  19. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    No as i have mentioned i hate the look of TAA so i never use it. SSAO causes a blur trail but using RTGI basically does it all and better and stresses the GPUs upto the power limit, really unlocks all the scaling.

The ghosting is only when played on a TV. Not even sure its SLI related at this point.

20. BlackAce21

BlackAce21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070S 8GB SLI
    Hi, any luck with Batman Arkham Knight or Control?