EU demands that every smartphone, tablet be capable of being charged using a USB-C cable.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2021.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And lost one will benefit the nature...
    Only obvious way to me is to decrease the number of broken ports due to the quality of USB-C form factor.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Maybe... But I have not saw a charger with firmly embedded cable for a long time.

PS And many gadgets use different level of power (Ampers) in their chargers.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Strange, i thought that the EU had already decided something similar years ago, must be something else...

I hope they do the same for electric cars.

4. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    My biggest Problem with the EU approach is that it is planned to be in effect in 3 years...
    Fast for politics, but in tech-time...

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    And? Just get a charger that can provide as much juice as possible and be done with it.

Apple being forced to go USB-C also means that the days of making cables that are hard to replicate are over, besides that the original lightning connectors always break up around the connector.
    I know it's a matter of how you threat it, but can be like running the head against a wall to teach colleagues and students how to connect/disconnect them cables.
    A broken USB-C cable gives several advantages, major ones are not being bound to a specific brand and cheaper.
    Personally I prefer wireless charging though, but going that route is not very cost effective for a whole fleet of iPads (200-300).

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And that`s exactly what most people will do - to buy spare charger with higher power output to charge all their devices (and maybe another one for the work). I mean nobody will use 0.5A charger (from another gadget) with gadget targeted to 2.4A charger.

7. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Standardization is a good thing.

imagine buying a new toilet that would not fit the existing hole?
    imagine buying a new lamp that requires a new plug just to plug in?

Plus....USB-C is double-sided!....much like sex, there is no such thing as upside down...:D

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    About f'ing time. Microusb was probably the biggest design failure in tech over last 20 years. The numbers of ppl who damaged their phone or device ports from jamming the connector upside down must be staggering.

Airbud and Solfaur like this.
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I have this one draw in my house that is full of old chargers and cables, all things i could really throw out but i find it hard to throw out such things because you never know when you might need one of them.

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I hope this finally comes to pass. Apple went full retard when they didn't put USB-C charging sockets on their new iPhone13 range. It makes absolutely no sense at all - especially since all their iPad models as of last year use USB-C. Why they wouldn't put it on their phones I cannot fathom.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Purely business. To have proprietary connectors which only they or licensed 3rd parties can provide. Business maybe too kind a word, greed more like it.

RavenMaster likes this.
  12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Also to be fair, Apple did at least start to do one right thing by not including a charger with their new phones.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    How dare some EU consortium demand something like that? That's outrageous!
    How dare they cut a huge revenue from selling those dongle and Certified Apple parafernalia?
    What were they thinking?

Haha, glad that they did this finally. A bit late, however. But Apple is still at it, there is a new trick in the iPhone 13: changing the battery will render the phone almost useless, it will charge slow as dirt, as the battery is cryptographically linked to the phone itself.
    - Still to be confirmed - but there are some techs already facing this issue.
    Sadly, no EU will demand other things or

mbk1969 likes this.
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We still have different diameters for plumbing equipment and different plugs for electric equipment in different countries. Hell, even railway widths!

PS And the amount of different lamp bases is staggering.

15. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    So true!....I put white-out on the topside of the charging connector just so I know I have it correct before inserting...

Some mornings I need glasses just to find my glasses....:p

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sorry what? if paying out my ass for new phone they better be giving me charger

Undying likes this.
  17. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Not every pub has domestic beer... think before you enter a private club.

PS: Apple is a private club....$1200 membership fee...payment plan with good credit.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Most disgusting thing about Apple is the 'elite' brand image they've managed to form over time. Its not tech superiority, but rather brand image that is making them so successful. I think in China, its a high status symbol to have an Apple product. And too many consumers there and worldwide care more about self-image than actual tech superiority unfortunately. Thats not to say Apple dont make excellent products, they most certainly do! But theres that 'elite tax' thats levied on the lure of exclusivity which majority of its consumers go for.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well, don't pay your ass out for a new phone and have a propper charger already instead of those puny little chargers most phones ship with.
    Remember the days where every piece of hardware included minimum 1 CD and other crap that ended straight into the bin?

Really depends on the POV, when it comes to raw tablets they do a pretty good job at providing stuff that just works, besides that the more specialized apps aren't really available for anything else.
    Lately we added a few hundred Chromebooks, they suck tbh., might end up just getting laptops in the future.
    The high status symbols your in about goes more for the Mac side of things, frequently seeing more and more students showing up with them.
    I actually got one myself for work and hate it, since it's trash compared to a propper laptop, but there is nothing else I can use to have apples configurator app.

As for phones, I prefer an iPhone over any Android phone so far, but if I could have it my way I would still be using my Windows Phone, don't really need a crap load of apps on my phone, the few I do need just have to work.

Airbud likes this.
  20. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I feel like this^...

PS: I would love a new iPhone 13.