DEATHLOOP

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by KissSh0t, Jun 10, 2019.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I don't find it bad, but I don't find it as interesting as Dishonored either. I don't think it was a good idea for them to give up on elements of horror or gloomy mood, as this definitely was one of their strengths.

AsiJu likes this.
  2. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    With people saying DH2 runs great now, I believed the issue was despite the high FPS - the game was choppy, as if it was running at <40hz. Has that been fixed?

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    slick3 likes this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks!

How about others, I gathered @Darren Hodgson and @Damien_Azreal at least have the game?

How is gunplay? Do you find the timeloop setting keeps things interesting or is it repetitive?

Reviews do a horrible job of conveying actual gameplay.

BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I've not played DeathLoop yet so I can't comment on its story personally, but I do agree with what you're saying in a broad sense -- seems to me that most games have wretchedly terrible stories and it bums me out.

Occasionally we get some pretty good stories/settings and I acknowledge there's some amount of subjectivity involved, but I hear you on that front. I feel like I need a decent story to provide a compelling reason for what I'm doing in a lot of games or at least some attempt at interesting world building like Demon's Souls has.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I haven't played more than two hours yet, but I'm somewhat worried that the actual core gameplay (stealth and combat) falls short on expectations of refined mechanics vs their previous games. AI seems to be really primitive and, if you keep up a bit of caution, they can be dealt with rather easily with distance bolt rifle headshots etc. My impression is it could have needed a few more months of polishing etc.
    At least I can't yet make fully sense of the mostly good criticisms the game's got.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    In my opinion the turn off in this game are the dated (by 2021 standards) character animations and movement, in my opinion every single player game by now should have the movement of cod modern warfare and or battlefield 5

8. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I’m actually enjoying the story aspects so far in this, it’s how the controls feel that I’m not totally into. There are quite a few games in recent years that have had great stories so I don’t really get the criticism.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I hear you, recently I really enjoyed DOOM 2016's story/setting as well as Prey 2017's personally. I found Cyberpunk 2077's main narrative (except maybe parts of the endings) to be pretty solid too myself.

I should clarify it's not that I think games almost never have good stories, just that many (probably most imo) have awful stories that don't work for me at all. A lot of sequels also end up having stories that for me are not as engaging as their predecessors (Diablo 1/2 > Diablo 3 for story for example or Halo 1-3 > Halo 5, etc).

That's just my opinion though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Shame to hear the controls in DL don't feel great for yah, I think I'll play the game eventually just after more patching and a price cut.

10. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah there are plenty of games that don’t have great stories or even much of a story. A lot of them I’m not sure it really matters because the focus is the game play. Like the Hitman games, it’s all just a loose frame work to get you into these fun sandbox levels.

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I'm also the sort of player who appreciates very 'organic' looking smooth animations on characters for gaming (3D mostly but it can also apply for 2D, especially in Fighting games but also platformers and a bunch of others), where movement / limb transitions can in the end make a good difference for overall game immersion. If it looks 'believable' in how the characters move, then you've done your job. Stiff animations, or lack of frames of animations (especially noticeable in Fighting games) shouldn't be a thing nowadays. However, with this said, having just practiced animating myself in recent years (just in Blender) on an purely amateur level and having watched numerous video guides from a lot more experienced users and experts on the matter... I can tell you that animation - in general - (be it in video games or animating 3D characters in a CGI-style movie) is extremely time-consuming and very difficult.

Now we could sort of 'counter' the "it's difficult to do" argument with saying something like "but that's their job" (the animators, in the development team). But well... the animators are not all experienced, not all game studios can afford the 'best ones out there'. But even if you had the money to pay them, you would still need to let them work on their animations for the time required to get the end result you'd expect out of their expertise.

In today's games development environment we're used to seeing big budget games being rushed out. Even in those, if you don't give enough time in the oven for the animators to do their job you'll end up with a "known studio" game being released with characters moving like it's 2006 and Oblivion again. I'm not sure if Arkane studios do have good, talented animators who could have 'done better', but if they could have then the development time dedicated to animating wasn't enough, and the game's animations will forever stay the same (even though it could have been better, it was just a time limitation issue in the end; cutting corners do happen in animation too).

With animation it's usually time-related, but if it's related to talent (being a new'ish animator in the industry, etc) then you plain and simple get what you pay for. If your studio hires a new 'just out of school' (manner of speech) lead animator and the rest of his animators team are even less experienced, then sure... you'll have animations in your game but don't expect your team to do miracles.

In the end though, and I do agree, as a gamer / consumer (buyer of games) I feel like half-baked (visually, at least) animations can be a complete turn off even if the rest of the game does have objectively amazing production qualities to it. It's not "our fault" if a game has jank animations, but it's at least a good thing to know how really tough it is to animate, and how much of a time consumption work it can be; so as a gamer you may be disappointed by them but at least you understand the developer's limitations in that department (or that it was a time constraint, ultimately, rather than talent-related).

The main reason why I wanted to reply is just because of the part (in the quote) where you say "should have the movement of COD modern warfare and or Battlefield 5". Well those animations were done by specific animators teams, and Arkane doesn't have those animators working in their studio. So... it's not as simple as to say "games today should have the animations of 'x' 'y' and 'z' games".

ramthegamer likes this.
  12. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
  13. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Anyone find a fix for the square blood decals?

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I agree and thanks for your thorough reply, i was just saying my opinion, and my opinion could be of a minority, but i am at a stage where realistics character animation is a must for FPS games and especially AAA releases, and ever since i played cod mw, i have had zero interest in other singleplayer games if they don t have the movement feel and animation of that game

15. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I'm going to give this a go. (I have such a huge backlog of games it's ridiculous)

The PS5 Adaptive controls are tempting but a highend PC can accomplish 4K@60fps. That is more enticing.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Has the new patch fixed the stuttering as it stated?

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Mouse micro-stutter for non-60fps is now mitigated, but, like in Dishonored 2, not entirely fixed.
    "VRAM stutter" is not fixed either, only mitigated too. I have to restart the game after playing 1-2 levels to guarantee ~0 stutter with the 12GB 3060 in 1440p. Unfortunately you change levels all the time...

Both RT shadows and AO introduce annoying blur and noise, thus I got them disabled. The AO also is too dark, looks like HDR tone mapping eye adaptation wasn't adjusted accordingly. CACAO is ugly and higher settings also more expensive vs. HBAO+. Similarly useless as FSR. Also, the in-game sharpen options doesn't seem to do anything when not using FSR. The game ships CAS, yet you've to inject ReShade for it when playing without FSR...

18. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Sorry if the mention of using someone else's savegame is annoying since it skips over the story and most of the gameplay. If, however, you don't mind it too much and want to explore then probably in a month or two some complete saves will be on sites to download.

And there probably will also be a special software program to convert their saves to workaround the unique ID# save system in this game. They did it with AC Valhalla, you can look it up, there are some near complete saves in that game with the conversion program to make them work in the saves directory. The same can be done for Deathloop.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    cerebus23 likes this.
  19. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 4090 EK LC
    To be fair, on PC you can also play with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers as Deathloop is fully compatible with the PS5 pad on Steam. Just make sure you have connected the PS5 DS by usb, otherwise using bluetooth it will work as a normal pad.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  20. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC