Farcry 6

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kx11, May 28, 2021.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Watch Dogs legion got DLSS/RT only

2. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    The way it's meant to be.

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    FC3 and 4, didn't those have some nvidia hair on the animals?

4. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't remember those

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    FSR wasn't available

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    FC3 didnt but FC4 did have and its a big difference

[​IMG]

DannyD likes this.
  7. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    DLSS would be nice but I'll take FSR, I'm not picky these days. Just glad AMD came up with something that both users can use to help out in this time of absurd GPU prices.

AsiJu, Maddness, Undying and 2 others like this.
  8. Modern games should support modern temporal reconstruction techniques. Either checkerboarding, temporal injection similar to UE4/5 or DLSS. There is no place for gimmicks such as the FSR. I don't care which company did what. All I care about is quality and technological progress in games.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Then play native and forget these upscaling techniques exist.

10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    In an ideal world every game would have DLSS, and every card would have support for DLSS. But the reality is that less than 1/4 of all gamers have a car with tensor units.
    And DLSS is hard to implement. Most studios don't have the time, money and technical know how to implement DLSS.
    Only after major game engines, like Unreal or Unity, adopted the tech and making it easier, did we start to see a significant adoption of the tech.
    On the other hand, FSR is super easy to implement. When it was released one of the first studios to adopt it said it only had took them 2 hours.

Regarding UE 4 Temporal Upsampling, it's also very good. I use it on some games, that don't support DLSS, and the results are also very good. Not as good as DLSS 2.2, but good enough.
    But it requires UE 4.19 or earlier. But there are still games being released with later versions, like Days Gone, that still uses UE 4.11
    A game studio that started development on a UE4 version, can't be constantly updating the game engine, because it might break something and lead to delays and losses.

And let's not forget, that DLSS is a closed tech. It's proprietary and only used by nVidia.
    Maybe Intel's XESS will be open format that we all want. But we have to wait.
    The same thing with TAAU. It's property of EPIC, and they are not going to share it with other game engines.
    And developing such a tech as TAAU took Epic years. And not all studios have the ability to try to create such a tech.

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I got a big Far Cry: The Division vibe from that, a gear set and weekly post-game missions awarding gear.

I'm all in for a loot system but then make a proper one with meaningful loot / stats and enough items etc.
    Although loot system in Division was great so any streamlined version of that, as long as not so streamlined it's arbitrary, why not.

Idk... this might be one of those (very rare) games that I'm skeptical about prior to release but end up liking just about everything.
    Such as The Division.

13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  14. Forceflow

Forceflow Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Those raytraced effects (hybrid reflections and shadows) don't seem to be worth the performance hit. A lot of the environments are not specular / highly reflective either.
    Also: "Pro Premium Freesync Support" is laughably marketing-speak :D

Undying likes this.
  15. Their lighting model is really bad. The issues are mostly visible in indirectly lit areas. It looks like their SSAO implementation is completely failing on smaller objects. And even bigger objects do not seem to be well grounded with missing contact shadows or SSAO on ground and surrounding walls. It gets even worse with reflective surfaces, because their reflections are so low-res that it looks like those objects are floating above the ground. It's visible even on cars, which, in 2021 with RT support, is ridiculous really. Whoever designed their rendering pipeline and lighting should be fired... and honestly, using RT for area (contact hardening) shadows is just stupid. There are methods using SDFs which allow this effect without RT as we can see in games like RDR2 or Division 2. It looks not only dated, but also badly executed.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It's just a decade old engine with a few graphics tweaks.
    Ever since the first trailer, we could see this is not a graphical powerhouse of a game.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Wot, this game supports FreeSync? Instabuy!

Oh wait....

Seriously AMD you can do better with your featurettes.

Having said that... for whatever reason I'm slightly more optimistic about the game now.
    Gameplaywise, even if not much was shown.

Undying likes this.
  18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Unfortunately you are right, the graphics are not the main draw in in this game, they are still milking that farcry 3 engine

Undying likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Far Cry 2 engine actually.

That's a modified Far Cry engine (Cryengine).

20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I just hope that this game does not tank nvidia cards like they did with valhalla. After a few drivers updates it was better eventually [valhalla] but yeah its an amd sponsored game so it makes sense it runs better on amd gpu.