COD Performance on Radeon can be a Fickle Mistress

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I use to play at 1080p because I would get around 170 fps. That's the best I could get. And, just dealt with it. I had to cap the FPS or else I would get odd stutters. Otherwise smooth as churned butter on a hot day while sipping on some freshly squeezed pink lemonade.

I found out that later version of win10 require you to use fullscreen borderless/window mode because of full screen optimization being kicked into overdrive peaking pass 11 while MS commits to "just send it".

All of a sudden I'm getting 170+ at 1440p after some updates about a week or so go. And it's been that way every since. I've been on this driver for well over a month now so I didn't upgrade drivers. Although I do wonder if the driver team had anything to do with it. IE: We already had drivers for this game but took the developer to code for it??? Just a random thought.

But Vanguard is around the corner now. And, although I really appreciate being able to now play this game at 2K at higher FPS (because it was definitely lower before). I do hope I get this kind of performance from the get go.

Because I do recall using borderless mode before months ago and it made absolutely no difference in frame rates. Not sure what changed now other then some silent update that wasn't found in the patch notes.

Strange...These mini cod updates are like a box of chocolates.

2. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Destiny 2 on RDNA2 6800XT performance is a disaster as well

3. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    That's why we are buying nVidia 30 series :p

4. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    That was known to be a Destiny 2 issue and not AMD. About COD, it depends, I had good experience playing that, but waiting the new COD to see how it will play.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You guys are silly. CoD is performing better on AMD gpus.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    maybe your cpu just couldn't do more than 170

cod.jpg

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Not maybe but for sure CPU is bottleneck here.
    Which explains why after cap he do not have stutter.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think hes talking about Warzone not Cold War.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  9. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    Destinys multi threaded render doesn't work since beyond light, which is only really a problem on AMD GPUs. Bungie already fixed the problem on the backend and NVIDIA is fine now, AMD is still working on a fix on their end they've only partially fixed it I think 3 driver versions ago

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its the one engine.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So it was the update that fixed the fps issue then.
    I never played a game where the developer released so many undocumented updates before. At times I was getting 4 a week. Some only a few 100mb while others up to 2 gb. With no documentation as to what the updates do. I would ask online and either some didn't pay it any mind or was on console and didn't get those sort of updates.

12. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    but different results nonetheless
    warzone does run better on amd,cold war on nvidia.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The engine between mw2019/cold war/Warzone are different from what I've read. Warzone uses a modified engine from MW2019 from what I read a while back.
    I had higher FPS in MW2019 at 2K then I did in cold war until recently. So it stands to believe, for me, that the developers finally fixed whatever was causing the bottleneck in the game for 5000 series players. But didn't openly provide any statement that they did anything. Just like they don't openly admit they use sbmm and eomm.

Now, my FPS is on parity with MW2019. However, I always had crappy performance from Black Op games.

Vanguard is suppose to use a engine similiar to warzone/MW2019
    Cold War supposedly uses a modified engine from Black Ops series

So, it explains why I was having issues. I had issues with Black OPs. I would experience odd dips at the main menu. Where it would go to 150fps and dip down to 90 fps when in a lobby, for example. I take it they hated AMD.

Lets not forget that the performance issue is now fixed after one of those mysterious updates. I am still using the same drivers.

Another thing...I cannot permanently modify the worker_threads from 6. If I change it to 8 or 12 it reverts back to 6 when the game starts. Even if I set the config.ini to read only. However, in MW2019 I can change it with no problem.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  14. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I switched from AMD to Nvidia to find the opposite, the game has more stutter/slowdown issues on AMD.

(Just mentioning that of course there are also D3D12 games where Nvidia runs worse, just before someone thinks he would have to defend the honor of his mother.)

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The blackops engine seem to only work best on the latest, current Radeon GPUs. Anything other than a current Radeon GPU had problems. I know this because I experienced this before when BO3 came out. Mind you, I used my 7870 in BO2 with no problems.

Edit:
    And good luck trying to get any help from their sub reddit. 1st time posting an AMD problem could get your thread shadowed banned. You have to piggy back on some other older thread and resurrect the conversation if you are fortunate enough to get one going. And if you try to get some sort of response from the developers over there they can ban you from posting with no response about the problem. Their reddit is like a live advert speaking only praises and selected, approved problems with the game.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that I originally thought that the drivers were the problem. As there is no checkmark in the Game Profile to indicate some sort of optimizations for the game. However, after my experience it appears that may not have been the whole problem.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Cold War especially has a memory issue, where it will fill your VRAM with needless data and then begin to switch in and out needed data.

Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Call Of Duty Black Ops Cold War\player

Open config.ini

search for worker_threads and change the value to the amount of physical cores you have

search for video_memory and change this to 0.5

Now you will see a huge drop in VRAM usage. I have a 6800XT and went from the game sucking up 14GB+ VRAM to now having it only using around 9-10GB and all stutters are completely gone.

Also not installing the 4K texture packs also helps as well, these are really not needed unless you are playing at 4K res.

The same issue existed in Modern Warfare for a time but was somewhat fixed in updates thanks to the game having much more players thanks for warzone. But the same tweaks also exist and work too.

This has been fixed for a while now, played the game a few weeks back and had smooth performance. The issue was on Bungie's side and not AMD.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50448

Skinner and Maddness like this.
  17. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    Yeah, this is what resolved the issue for me and many others by forcing the game to basically hold less data in your VRAM. It seems to have mostly affected the 5000 series. This has helped my game performance a lot on my 5700XT, I've not really messed with it in a few months due to work but it's a good work around for anyone that has issues in these games with VRAM issues.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  18. Banana4Nanners

GPU:
    6800XT
    Smooth performance, but an FPS rate well under what Nvidia gets. AMDs already stated they are still working on that. I run smooth but I get lower FPS than a 3060 and I run a 6800XT. You've got 3080s hitting 240fps+ average at 1080/1440p in D2 while I'm getting 90-150. Pretty bad, the performance fix for AMD came with 21.6.2 for D2 I believe, it was stated in one of those drivers release notes but it's still far from perfect and well under what a 6800XT can do but bungie and AMD have said they are still working on it together

19. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
    Well honestly spending 2000 euros does not seem to me to make so much sense for ordinary mortals

20. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
    Updates without release of notes are security patches and Anti cheaters... changing only a few keys and dlls. This did not stem and did not work , things will not change in the next game ...