510.06 Cuda Beta Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by sapo_joe, Sep 2, 2021.

1. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Sorry for the delay. I don't care much about it really, I'm just remembering the old control panels where settings were visualised. Now some settings have stories to explain and some settings barely a line. Some of the settings might just be a lot easier to understand with a couple of example pictures, kind of like how Geforce Experience is trying to do it, but less big. Like a simple, low setting vs high setting difference.

I don't touch the settings in the control panel, only set a few things after driver install.

The problem is that items like HDR, G-SYNC/V-SYNC (and others) are all so complicated. A lot of stuff happens in the background and 99% percent of the time there is not a single setting for everything. I get it, it's one of the main issues with PC gaming, but a lot of this stuff is supposed to be smart. For example, how is it that so many games still start up the wrong resolution the first time you start them? How hard is it to get the desktop resolution before doing the rest.

It's just little things like that.

Don't mind me too much, I'm just getting old ;)

2. Heffro

Heffro Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    Tried these last night, after an hour I was hit with a lock-up and black screen while watching youtube vids.

Rolled back to 471.96 and thankfully all is well.

Running with an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 with no OC.

Tantawi likes this.
  3. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    NVCPL aka NVIDIA control panel should be updated for these reasons.

1- No dark mode.
    2- Small fonts.
    3- It is so slow.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its note even slow, i don't know what people have wrong with their computer that performance is an issue lol.

5. fr3quency

fr3quency Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1660
    Man I saw the AMD Control Panel of my friend's laptop and was so jealous. I got such a beautiful PC and WIndows 11 is really starting to be looking great, and we are stuck with ugly programs in 2021 whose code is as old as 15 years. Is nVidia a small company by any chance? Or are they garbage developers?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Go buy amd and enjoy your your bling bling but otherwise barely working control panel. :cool:

eGGroLLiO and joe187 like this.
  7. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Nvidia is one of largest companies around there stock was close to $900 a share before 4 to 1 split and the Nvidia control panel works fine.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  8. fr3quency

fr3quency Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1660
    Cope harder both of you.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ah, i see, you're one of those twitter edge lords.

sertopico and eGGroLLiO like this.
  10. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    so to conclude the already 6 pages of threat, Is it drivers good for mainly gaming compare with 471.96?
    Or just skip it and wait for official 500 branch

11. DanielRX

DanielRX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc319
    updated nvidia driver release today at DEV branch, 30.0.15.1010
    Nvidia 510.10
    upload_2021-9-10_18-3-56.png

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Less fixes, apparently new instability issues and no performance gains. Go for it!

13. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    We got it, you work for NVIDIA and you are biased, you are so biased to the point you see the bugs as features.

NVCPL is so slow, laggy and buggy, it can be noticed in the manage 3d settings, just selecting an option without even changing anything will use lots of CPU bu NVDisplay.Container.exe. Changing 3d settings even slower!!!

Buggy, when I change the resolution using NVCPL all my monitor will blink for 2 second, when I change the resolution using Windows display settings it will be done immediately. And Windows settings it will change both the desktop mode and the active signal mode using "display adapter properties for display X"

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Lol, no.

On Windows 10, the UI performs poorly thanks to Spectre mitigations.

For me (on W7/8) The drop down menu's open instantly and i can select an item from the menu instantly.
    There is a redraw issue where the menu flicks back up a bit after changing a setting but its not "Slow, laggy" at all.

What does take a moment is Applying settings, i've explained the reason for that numerous times (just bother searching), and opening the Programs tab (because it performs a game scan which locks the UI till completion)
    Profile inspector only behaves differently in that the UI is seperate from the settings being written out (instead you get a progress bar and it'll refresh the current profile if you made any changes while the DB write was going on.

Both GUI behaviors are valid for preventing the db compiler from being interrupted/corrupted.

Bullshit, for the simple reason that the last time the Driver controlled the monitors and their modes was windows XP back before Vista introduced the Monitor and Display APIs.

All NVCP does differently is it doesn't set the mode immediately, you select the resolution and Refresh rate together and both are applied on Apply.

Windows sets the resolution as soon as you change it then you have to jump through the advanced display screen to set the refresh rate (in the event it hasn't set itself to max.)

The number of mode change flickers to get to 1440p@144 is the same.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    SmokingPistol and Mineria like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you don't, sorry but there is no way to disable all mitigations.

Comparing to the last good OS is valid reference, it proves Windows 10 is the issue. :D

16. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Even in worst case benchmarks, we are still talking of delays that hardly exceed one millisecond of additional CPU time. How is this supposed to make some UI feel sluggish?

Sounds more like the Nvidia Panel can't cope correctly with newest .NET libs etc. that are shipped for 10.

I get a black screen for a short duration when changing resolution via NV panel, which is not the case via Windows settings.

How so?

Jen1 likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The nvcp doesn't use dotnet, the only vendor to ever have done that is AMD.

I've narrowed the issue down to a windows bug though, after profiling several times the problem function always refers back to NTDLL.DLL and its RTLUserThreadStart, this is the highest cpu using thread in nvxdapix.dll when executed by the display container on Windows 10.

I get that with windows display settings when changing resolutions as well, only time you shouldn't get that is if the monitor itself isn't changing modes (GPU Scaling?)

The initial changes to Windows for Spectre were to enable the CPU to behave differently across all applications, these changes were microcode interactive.

Since then, Microsoft have begun using a version of the windows sdk/toolset which directly incorporate mitigations into the finished files. These do not respect CPU Flags or older microcode as they are compiled to behave differently from the get go.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I think these are better called hardening than mitigations. The former often can happen without any or with a fraction of the performance penalties.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm only calling it as microsoft calls it.

v142 build tools with Spectre-mitigations
    [​IMG]

20. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    Amd control panel on an intel i3-350m 2010 laptop responds faster than NVIDIA control on an i7-7820HK 2017 made laptop.

Other apps that changes NVIDIA settings responds almost immediately. It is just NVCPL that slow.

You can lie, to yourself, as much as you want, and you can use the foul language you are using as much you want (NVIDIA's employee talks in public), but that will not change the fact NVIDIA drivers and hardware are buggy and slow ....