Can you add a usb type C card to an older computer and use it for graphics?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by boe, Jan 26, 2021.

1. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Hello,

I have no idea if it uses the chipset, or the processor or how you get video on a USB type C port. I know you can do it on a laptop with usb type C built in but no idea if you can just add a card to an old PC. I need 4K at 60hz and I can't find a passive video card for that so I'm wondering about USB type C.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm not sure about using it for graphics... but If the older pc has a pci-e 1 x slot then I guess you could just put a usb-c expansion card in? something like a "SilverStone ECU05 USB 3.1 Controller Card"?

It's possible I am not quite understanding what you are asking, in which case just disregard my post.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=657

Just needs a sata power cable to run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - that really is my question - can I use it for graphics and does it matter what type of processor I have.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only USB-C port on videocard can output video.

386SX likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    @OP

you simply can not do what your asking about

usb-c is a universal connector but it still needs a dedicated hardware component to utilise it

videocards that have usb-c are compatible with usb-c monitors ect

6. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - good to know.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    No it will not, as said the USB type C is just a physical connector standard.
    In order to use USB C monitor or external graphic card it is not enough, it need to support the "DP alt mode" and/or "Thunderbolt" too.

About the Silverstone card it's a X2 card and not a X1...

Keitosha and Passus like this.
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The device will need to have a video signal routed via USB-C, which is done via hardware and BIOS, so you wont be able to do that with a PC and such an extension card.
    An USB-C dock could probably do it though, those work with something as simple as newer cheap Chromebooks that have USB-C ports.

9. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    totally agree and the docks can be found for as little as £$€ 15 . Plus it will have other usefullbenifit's like most docks come with hdmi, ethernet port's and more usb's

10. Trunks0

Trunks0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    PC RedDevil 7900XTX
    That's excluding buying a USB-C to DP, HDMi or VGA adapter that uses something like DisplayLink. Thats because they are basically a USB based videocard.