NVIDIA GeForce 471.96 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The DooM Eternal issue was caused by invalid memory access in the client process, its presently being worked around via a profile setting if iD hasn't fixed it themselves already.

2. disq

disq Member Guru

GPU:
    So, is this the last update for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1?

There was a FAQ section present in the support page which said the last driver with support for such operating systems was going to be released on August 31, 2021 but recently it got changed and it's no longer present.

[​IMG]

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5201

@ManuelG

3. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Sadly they the developers, Massive along with Ubisoft has abandoned it. No fixes in a long time and not just this issue.

However, if it's not a driver bug why is it not happening under 466 series? It all started with the 47x.xx series. Soon as you downgrade to non 470 series you no longer get that graphical bug.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Since it appears to be a Tiling artifact, its most likely that Tiled Cache was previously disabled for this case.

You can try using profile inspector with this added to reference.xml

Code:
        <CustomSetting>
              <UserfriendlyName>TILED_CACHE</UserfriendlyName>
              <HexSettingID>0x10523DC0</HexSettingID>
              <Description />
              <GroupName>8 - Extra</GroupName>
              <OverrideDefault>0x00000001</OverrideDefault>
              <SettingValues>
                <CustomSettingValue>
                  <UserfriendlyName>Off</UserfriendlyName>
                  <HexValue>0x00000000</HexValue>
                </CustomSettingValue>
                <CustomSettingValue>
                  <UserfriendlyName>On</UserfriendlyName>
                  <HexValue>0x00000001</HexValue>
                </CustomSettingValue>
              </SettingValues>
              <SettingMasks />
            </CustomSetting>

The issue also only manifests at 100% resolution scale, 75% stops it.

Recent video

Same issue was present 2y ago

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021

5. BlackScout

BlackScout Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Glad they fixed the DPC Latency issues! Those audio stutters were getting annoying ngl

6. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    Froze during install of new drivers, just before selection of choices, this has not happened to me in eons,, to me it looks like we are back to extreme bloatware... reboot and 2nd install attempt worked..

7. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    It's smaller than the last one.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's been almost two years since Win 7 EOL.

Really time to move on now.

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Exactly, almost 10 years of driver support is more than enough.

10. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tested with several frame rates, there was one 60 fps test as well.

11. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Not everyone did the same thing i did. People have their crap stock and face the issue. It is a valid issue, just check the forums. Literally 3-4 posts done some days ago about randomly BSOD with reboots.

12. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
     DPC latency is higher when color mode is set to 8-bit color compared to 10-bit color. [3316424]

Has anybody checked the DPC latency?

13. SmokingPistol

SmokingPistol Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This does seems like an "you" issue, though, I'm not reproducing these issues on neither 3090s, and it's always more than just one or two rigs that has a compromised set-up, and I see that you have an OC card, I'd start there, then system RAM stability on up.

14. Cyber-Mav

Cyber-Mav Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800gt 512mb
    is your cpu 24 hour linpack stable? is ram 24 hour memtest and testmem5 stable? is gpu 12 hour furmark stable? i do these tests and can weed out bad overclocks.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I can't even remember the last time I had a BSOD, and it was surely myself to blame when I had it.
    Neither did any of my friends that would call me if they got one experience BSOD's over the last couple of years, same goes for the gaming PC's we have at work.
    So the issues seems rather uncommon and probably hard to reproduce unless the exact system in question sits on the desk.
    Most of the people reporting the issues don't even bother to give basic details, so who the frack knows...

16. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    I've had some on two completely different systems... The reason? The same Windows 10 update, that was then taken down as it was harming peoples installs

17. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Not gonna start to argue here. My set up is stock. Like i mentioned before i don't have the Black screen & reboot anymore since i raised my powerlimit from 85 to 90. Although a card should throttle down when limit is reached and not crash.

I don't have any overclocks on my system. And the pc has been tested 48h from my vendor, especially ram & cpu. It is not hardware fault. The issue did not persist before 4 drivers ago. I had my gpu shortly after release back in oct 2020. Had the powerlimit at 85% all the time. I only ever faced 2 blackscreen issues so far. Both didn't occur once i raised powerlimit to 90%.

B(lue)SOD i agree is mostly userbased and easily fixed with clean installs. Yet i'm sure me and some other people on the nvidia forums have the same set ups or faulty hardware. I saw people with 3080 ti, 3070, 3080 and even 20series asking for help. All checked their hardware and only can blame the past drivers for it.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I removed nvtopps from sys32, I use DHC version, when I tried to reinstall the same 471.68 driver I said cant continue error.

How can I fix this now?

19. orbittwz

orbittwz Member

Hey there!
    Been experiencing random lags / fps drops in games, usually it's smooth...
    I have a decent laptop from last year , with geforce MX230.
    Anyone can help with this?

EDIT: seems it starts happening consistently, lag after another... after playing for a couple of minutes.
    like if the GPU is heating up and starts failing??

EDIT2: the intel GPU is starting and being used suddenly when playing, and causing those lags I guess... what gives? why it decided to use it?

EDIT3: from another thread - "In short when your dGPU (nvidia) finish the job he must transer all stuff to iGPU (intel) and then iGPU put video on your monitor. That why u see nvidia GPU 70% and Intel HD 5-10% use"
    maybe this is the issue? I'm not sure, but if so... how can I handle this better and prevent those lags?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  20. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Props to Nvidia here, @ManuelG, this has fixed all my stuttering issues with VALORANT.... finally :oops:

But... I am still sad that it took this many months to solve, and exactly how impactful that DPC latency problem was. I was losing to people who were Bronze-Gold sometimes as someone who had almost always been Immortal in 2020

Random stuttering, freezing, and tons of vairable input latency made VALORANT pretty impossible for me to play. Initially I thought it was maybe my ISP, the game servers, or something else... but after reinstalling everything and resetting it all, the issue persisted for at least 6 months

What the difference feels like to me as a competitive player is life-changing, basically, as the game went from:
    • Inherent Inconsistency ----> Lost duels against far worse opponents due to "stutter" or "hitching", even when you knew they were there & did everything right
    • Luck ----> May have a great due to less issues with the "stuttering" or "hitching"... but then have other days or even weeks where you'd feel unable to do anything due to extreme input lag or latency issues
    • Loss of Enjoyment (Fun) ----> Due to game feeling more random, less skill-based, and losing to people much worse than you at times... it had lost it's fun

Now all of those issues are resolved, having used the new 471.96 driver for multiple games to test, before and after sleeping. I love playing the game again, and I feel consistent once again... luck feels like a minute, tiny factor.

However... it is rather soul-crushing that it took so, so many months for NVIDIA to discover and solve this DPC latency bug. Months were wasted, unable to compete fairly, do well, or enjoy playing video competitive eSports titles at all

There needs to be far greater Q&A in the future from Nvidia , as it is really the responsibility of Nvidia to PREVENT any DPC latency, and other latency from being added to drivers. It's never going to be acceptable to "accidentally" allow software updates to somehow create latency, especially not for months

How large is the portion of your customers either play VAL, CSGO, R6, OW, FN or other eSports titles?

Not to mention that a lot of people do upgrade their NVIDIA Graphics Card more frequently than they ever would normally, just to compete better in those specific titles... or due to what their favorite player uses

I've used only NVIDIA Graphis Cards since I began building playing eSports titles in 2009
    1. GTX 465
    2. GTX 660
    3. GTX 750ti
    4. GTX 980m
    5. RTX 2080
    6. Additional - Bought RTX 2060 for family member

I'd hope that NVIDIA realizes what percentage of your customers truly do not give a single f**k about Ray Tracing, 4K monitors, VR technology, or all these non-eSport games that are constantly in NVIDIA driver patch notes.

A lot of us just truly just want the fastest refresh rate monitor, with a computer that provides the highest FPS and lowest input latency. Having DPC latency in the software is so unacceptable that if the issue wasn't fixed, I would have had to switched to Team Red for the first time ever.

Literally noone I know gives a flying f**k about Ray Tracing or VR, yet it's all that the company seems to focus on recently... more so than DPC latency issues, or stuttering issues on Chrome?!?!

I truly hope that Nvidia actually care about the stability of their software.Sorry for sounding upset, and I am very glad the issue is fixed now... I just wanted to vent or express my feelings.

Thanks for your work in fixing the issue, I truly do appreciate this fix, as it means the world to a lot of us.