A new spike in the price trend of graphics cards can be spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    You can get a 1080Ti for around £350 a 1080 for £280.
    Personally 1080Ti has enough VRAM too as I have met few games using 8GB making the RTX2000 except the expensive 2080Ti redundant.

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Your message would have more weight if most of the video cards this year hadn't ended up in the lairs of miners.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah, I'm also worried about this. The cost of entry has always been the main deterrent, but if even enthusiasts can't get in then what is left?

I'm confused... why do you think the prices are so far above MSRP? Boycotting won't do anything to solve this. Gamers aren't the problem. Maybe 1% of them are buying new GPUs at inflated prices and maybe 5% (wild guess) bought at MSRP but otherwise we have no power at all.

Now hypothetically, let's say the mining market crumbles irrecoverably today and the MSRP for next-gen GPUs is 15% higher than current gen, then I would say boycott, because at that point the companies have lost touch with their intended consumer base and are just ripping us off.

tunejunky, alanm and icedman like this.
  4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Entry level are lower than those, but yes, they should not cost what previous mid and highend cards cost. Is I guess what we feel. nVidia, Intel and AMD might not feel that way...

I am just going to hold on to my 5700XT for now.

5. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    There will be no going back, this is where we are.

6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Maybe new game producers should consider how demanding they want it to be played.
    With so many still holding on to older cards, this could hurt their bottom line.

GPU prices will never be as low as they were.
    That's my opinion, but I the bar has been raised.

Airbud likes this.
  7. Storm Alert

Storm Alert Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Excellent news. Daft availability/pricing of CPU/GPU's has weaned me off upgrading my PC every year and finally realised I actually don't need to...

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    actually I thought they'd be higher than they are for 2021

[​IMG]

tunejunky, Robbo9999 and Embra like this.
  9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Many gamers are buying at inflated prices atm.
    Just have a pop in AMD & NVidia subreddits, and several forums incl OCUK.

There are even threads on why people do not buy the 6800XT which is in stock and maybe "because is a bad card?" irrespective if it is over 100% the MSRP!!!!!!

10. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    YEAH! BOYCOTT!

oops, too late....

Kaarme and icedman like this.

11. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    For me it's not worth upgrading, I've still got my 1070 from 2016, but I did put in an order in last year on overclockers uk for an RTX 3080 whilst it was at £700 retail price (which I thought good for the astronomical increase in performance), but they're still unable to fill their orders.....I'm waiting it out until they cancel the orders or offer a suitable sweetener for the fact they've had my money for nearly a year.....if they don't then I probably won't ever buy anything from them ever again, and I'll probably tell people the same!

12. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    This is getting so bad i'm even getting tempted to sell my whole machine with screens to make an utterly obscene amount of cash and profit compared to what i paid and just go get an Xbox or PS5 :(((

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Ouch, that hurts :( Almost a year and no money and no GPU.

Maybe it'll be easy for you to know I've went even worse. I've payed back in December 2019 in first minute offers summer vacation both for my wife, our kids and me + my bother, sister in law and their kids from Australia on Thassos/Greece in late June 2020, told my brother he'll gave me the money when they come here (they didn't even had chance to travel here from Australia). Than Covid happened.... In April 2020 travel agency we've gave the money calcelled all vacations on Greece... so, no Thassos for us in 2020, and no money as return, in agency they've told us to wait fo 2021 and they gonna figure out something. This year in in March 2021 same travel agency also cancelled all vacations in Greece, so... So we'll get the money in 2nd half of January 2022, really hope so, maybe, dunno... And pile of cash I've throw in to that agency is way bigger than yours. What can I say, sh*t happens :D

Airbud, Robbo9999 and tunejunky like this.
  14. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    I agree 100 %. We all need to use whatever gpu we have and not to upgrade for some years at least. This is a nonsense situation

Fediuld likes this.
  15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes, it's been quite a rubbish year in a number of ways!

CrazY_Milojko likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    ^ Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But none of the companies let's out on the chance to cash in on customers, not one of them.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If companies in the computer industry were the only ones dependent upon chips then it would be reasonable to assume they're all in cahoots with each other. The thing is, once you involve the automotive industry, the conspiracy falls flat. They're losing money because of the shortage, and they definitely have the money to push for more production if that were an option.

heffeque and Agonist like this.
  18. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I would love to come visit you one day!... I know it would be fun you CrazY_Milojko!...:D

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Why I snagged up my 6800xt when I did.
    Had a feeling things would never get better this year for GPUs.

I could have survived with my 5700xt, but it was already struggling in now games @ 3840x1080 144hz.

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    this year,next year,possibly even more