Review: ASRock RX 6600 XT Phantom Gaming D 8GB OC - top-notch as a product offering

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Airbud and DannyD like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    It's difficult to recommend 1080p gaming.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    When the "1080p gaming" card does 120+ FPS on everything except for a few titles that are notoriously heavy, and handles 100+ FPS at 1440p on most everything as well, is it really a 1080p card? I mean, sure, if you want 150fps gameplay in everything, it might not be, because it doesn't do it on everything. But then you leave off the settings a little bit and it's fine. For any e-sport title it would probably sit close to idle doing 240 FPS.

Airbud, tunejunky and DannyD like this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I do like it but i like the big candy titles at 1440p too. I'm sure in the right hands it could be tweaked to the max which is another story.
    I'm in for a card in this price range in couple weeks, it's hella tempting.

Airbud and tunejunky like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Hilbert might be correct about which cards this should compete against, price wise, but unfortunately all countries aren't as lucky as the Netherlands. The cheapest 6600 XT I see (over here) is MSI Mech, 550 euros. The cheapest 3060 Ti I see is Asus Dual Mini, 820 euros. There's quite a large price difference between these two. The cheapest 3060 would be, again, Asus Dual Mini, 630 euros. AMD clearly is winning the price race in some of the less fortunate countries. That being said, 550 euros for 6600 XT is beyond ridiculous, even if not as insultingly outrageous as with Nvidia's offerings. Btw, this Asrock Phantom Gaming, with no availability, is listed for 630 euros, which is in the 3060 territory.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I bet you are the same kind of person who because you dont use 21:9 or 32:9 for gaming, you cant recommend it.
    Cant stand people like you.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    i meant 1080p gaming card.

Airbud and Venix like this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Pats my 1060 in the back , buckle up boy .... You will either live long enough for thee market to normalise and retire or i will work you to death .... No gpu unions allowed :p

Valken, AlmondMan, Kaarme and 2 others like this.
  9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Cooler this big is complete overkill for a card that just shyly knocks on mid-range category door performance wise. Dual-fan heatpipe based coolers are more than enough for 6600XT and guess even single-fan solution with 1-heatpipe or 2-heatpipes would do the job quite well for 6600XT. Even ASRock released single-fan 2-heatpipe 6600XT and I'm sure cooling on it is going be just fine:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...allenger-itx-8gb-graphics-card-(compact).html

I'm yet to see what price range local importers are going to offer here for 6600XT cards, have a feeling prices for 6600XT are going to be overblown like any other card on the market with 8GB+ VRAM.

Airbud, Undying, Kaarme and 1 other person like this.
  10. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thats not why people generally dont recommend it. Its not recommended because the screen sizes are fundamentally and mathematically inefficiently sized; your 32x9 fits inside my 16x9.

Airbud and schmidtbag like this.

11. vMax1965

vMax1965 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    At $379 for the standard version and well over $400 for the AIB cards, the pricing is terrible and that from a so called gamer friendly manufacturer! Sadly no such thing and as soon as AMD could justify hiking up the prices on CPU's and GPU's they did. On the other hand with this artificial GPU pricing market where GPU's are at such an inflated price, if one can find this at $379 to $400 it will be a good buy! Never thought I would say that...On the Nvidia side, the MSRP's especially for the 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070 and even the 3080 have been great (sadly I think they realise they made a mistake and could have charged more...now if I were into conspiracy theories, maybe that is one of the reasons for the supply issue in collusion with....) . I after months of trying to bag a 3070 at MSRP or near MSRP managed to get a 3070 Ti at a $100 premium which funnily enough was cheaper than a regular 3070! what a strange world we live in at the moment!

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was curious as to prices these , went to my microcenter found none but and they are scalpling the new AMD card for more 2x there actual price they are scapling new 3xxx card too, I sudden lost respect for microcenter 6900xt for $2299 and they have stock.. That first instance of brick an mortor seen of store scalping. Manufactures really need to crack down on store scaplping there cards. way over the msrp, if they stipulation of if there caught they will never got stock again it will stop.

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Many reviewers don't seem to get this, that prices of RTX 3060 can be a fair bit higher than the RX 6600 XT, let alone RTX 3060 Ti. As for AMD GPU's, it's Sapphire, PowerColor and XFX for me.....

14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's because, for whatever reason, reviewers like to talk about the MSRP, as if that had any meaning in 2021, at least outside of the USA. In the USA, you can theoretically buy the reference models straight from AMD or Nvidia and pay the MSRP, but that assumes you can program a better bot than the scalpers. That being said, since I haven't actually checked Dutch prices, I could only assume that maybe the shops over there are selling at close to MSRP if Hilbert refers to such prices. Good for them folks in the Netherlands. The only foreign places I have checked is Newegg, which carried high prices back when I had a look, and I also glanced at a Swedish store, which had a bit more merciful prices than anywhere in Finland, but just a bit. I decided to look at a famous German store while writing this, and it has still more merciful prices (although also a lower VAT), but, nevertheless, well over the MSRP. Perhaps the German prices are reflecting more the AIB partners' own scalping going on now, with the store itself scalping less.

15. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I think every reviewer should include the Avg FPS chart so that reader can calulate their own FPS/Dollar according to regional prices.
    average-fps_1920_1080.png average-fps_2560_1440.png

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    This card is 570,95 euro one of the most expensive only Asus do higher price.
    Even the powercolor red devil version is at 559 Euro !!!

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I have a great deal of respect for RDNA2 because even with the GPU cut way down and the local ram bus hobbled to 128-bits wide, the GPU does exceptionally well at 1080P and 1440P, just looking at a lot of people's gaming results. I don't think the restriction to 8X PCIe4 hurts the card at all as its 8GBs of local ram is more than adequate for those resolutions, and even hobbled to 128-bits wide it's still a multiple of times faster than the 8x PCIe4.x bus (although I'm not sure as to their rationale for limiting the GPU to 8x PCIe4.)

My 5700XT was 'supposed to be' a "1440P" GPU but it does a decent job at 4k which is my native res. It isn't setting any frame-rate records at 4k but all my games are smooth and stutter free, which means they are perfectly playable at 4k.

However, I still think AMD should price this card at $299 US. That would be this product's sweet spot, imo. If nVidia and AMD aren't careful, they just might find people losing interest in a seriously over-priced GPU market with close to zero availability for many people--including myself! Been trying to buy a 6800XT reference design for eight months, now, after AMD announced "global availability." I would even buy an AIB 6800XT for ~$799, or $150 over reference MSRP--but no such GPU exists here in the US!

I can and will wait or will not buy at all. It very much is a matter of principle.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Her dur, i had no idea my 32:9 is 16:9 in horizontal. I researched nothing, no clue.

32:9 still destroys 16:9.
    Clown on.

19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    So big and scary behind your shite screen too.

Airbud likes this.
  20. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    I bet you're single and live in your mom's basement too.

Insulting others works two ways around here...

See what I just did...?