Quake Remastered

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Aug 19, 2021.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah works great here too, started playing the expansions as I haven't played them before.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You are one of the very few people over the years that I've seen to say that Quake is better than Quake 2. I 100% agree. It was an amazing game back in the day and I was so hyped for Quake 2 and I just couldn't stand it.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I used to prefer Q2 but haven't for a while.

I kind of rediscovered og. Quake a few years back and gameplay in it is so good.
    Q2 while similar is slower and somehow feels more dated than the original these days, to me.

4. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    They are two entirely different games - my only issue with quake 2 is with its forced and slow weapon draw speeds.
    I've never realized just how much of a nuisance this mechanic is until i started playing base Q2 a lot under Q2RTX and porting expansions to it.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just looked up the actual topic.

He also thought it was inspired by minecraft due to the pixels o_O

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Just uninstall Windows lol

Just tried the game, marvelous. Just like the 3Dfx version of it, only better and runs pinned at 240fps on my G9 at 5120x1440. Heaven. Oh and you get all the DLC too, mega.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    AsiJu likes this.
  9. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So there is a posibility to make the hud smaller using scr_screenscale 2 instead of 0 (auto) in the game console. It scales icons, counters and crosshair, but some dynamic 2D elements still stay huge as f.ck. However the microstutter while moving in any direction on my 144Hz monitor is so annoying that I put this aside. No need to suffer 60Hz experience with this kind of graphics. I think they made an attempt to overcome the 60Hz game logic, but the cl_interpolation is a poor solution. Other source ports (QuakeSpasmSpiked, vkQuake) solved this much better by separating logic and rendering and the movement is smooth on any refresh rate - like in any other modern engine. BTW Arcane Dimensions mod is running in this, but randomly crashing on some maps. Sad.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Love Quake.
    Remember when the original game had the first episode released as shareware on a disc but actually included the entire game that could be unlocked with a code? Didn't take long for them to stop releasing games like that lol

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You my friend are a true vet! Love seeing people like you around!

Also, I can't believe that Quake is 25 years old. It still looks the part!

12. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Brings back some memories. The first time I played the original Quake was actually on the Nintendo 64 (I learned only many years later that it was missing about five maps from the PC version, but I wouldn't have been aware of that at the time when I played it). The PC version is something I was slightly aware of, from browsing PC gaming magazines at a local library that had a small section for gaming magazines. I didn't buy those since at the time I was a console gamer exclusively. But the PC 'world' of gaming grabbed by interest by around 1995 or so (started with Shareware DOOM back in late 1993 if I recall correctly, but it wasn't until Duke Nukem 3D came out and I played it at a Future Shop on a demonstration PC that people could play on that I really wanted to know more about PC gaming). From what I remember of the N64 version I did have fun, but I don't think I rented it more than once (and I'm not sure if I finished it or not).

Quake 2, however, was the one that got my attention. I remember walking in a mall, stopped by a RadioShack (defunct electronics store) and Quake 2 was running on a demo PC (not playable though, it was just there playing random levels on its own, probably pre-recorded footage that plays after the main menu stays idle for some time). I do absolutely recall that - at the very least - the fluidity of movement and overall graphics just blew my mind. But then still on N64 later on I'd play Turok 2 and Perfect Dark and pretty much forget about Quake. I cannot say I "was there" with PC gaming when Quake 1 was out, unfortunately. But hey, I did play the N64 version, there's that (and to think of it, the N64 was an amazing console for allowing console gamers to know what FPS gaming was, no other systems in the 90s did it the same way with the FPS genre).

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
  14. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Can anyone recommend a good mame arcade emulator for w10.
    It would be great to be able to play the crazy climber again.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    RetroArch perhaps?

https://www.retroarch.com/

And then for the rom I guess you could search on emuparadise

*cough* Crazy Climber I & II (1993) *cough*

I may or may not know what I'm talking about

AsiJu and vestibule like this.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I downloaded this on game pass, and every time I get to the screen with the automatic gameplay if I click or hit a key the game tabs out and then if I got back in it’s stuck on “loading” forever. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get this game working. Any ideas?

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Steam version works fine at least so maybe related to MS Store.

Btw check if there is a minimized window asking for firewall permissions when the game tabs out.
    It might be stuck waiting for permission to go online.

wrathloki likes this.
  18. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    For anyone that might encounter this, it was because it was popping up the XBL login dialogue on my second monitor which was off. I don’t know why Microsoft insists on having you manually sign into every game whenever you use it. I’m already signed in, so clearly that’s the gamertag I want to play the game with. Sony doesn’t do this, Steam doesn’t do this, Epic doesn’t do this. Drives me crazy.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Beat me by a minute. Check out my post just above this.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm not sure if there was a small patch but movement is definitely smoother now, without that microstuttery feel.

At least with high fps (240).

Getting the game to start is some lottery for me, often crashes with Event Viewer pointing to amdvlk64.dll

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021