Nvidia reports record sales and profit, with gaming income increasing by 85%.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheNipper

TheNipper Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    "Profits of around USD 2.37 billion were earned on total sales of USD 2.37 billion"

Now THAT's impressive!!

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Gaming must be a typo?

More like selling Gaming Cards directly to Miners without them ever seeing a retailer.

Stop twisting the truth leather jacket guy, with ur fancy new noice award... it's not noice at all what's going on.

RavenMaster, Keitosha, Valken and 7 others like this.
  4. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    This.
    How's possible EVGA having 6 months delay on the 3080? Something is wrong.

And before someone tries to defend EVGA/Nvidia, don't tell me that they cannot make 35 GPUs in that period to fill up the queue orders in their store.

5. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    that sure is a nice loophole they have found!... I knew Chinese labor was cheap but I never thought it was free...:p

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    nothing at all surprising here.
    when a company can sell out its product and sell out the estimated percentage of growth they will make money.

but of course they also want to look good to their traditional market when the reality is they're being sold out so they put on appearances and say "nice" things. the truth is the growth is in non-gaming markets as the numbers tell the story of o.e.m. growth. mining is a conflict of interest and they try to sweep it under the rug of o.e.m. sales.

Nvidia is trying to do the right thing with lhr for their traditional market, but they need to redouble their efforts pronto.
    the facts are simple, miners are both greedy and tech savvy so the best thing for Nvidia is to release mining cards separately w/o bling or fancy shrouds with only a single dp. they will be cheaper to make for the AIB and more profitable for AIB and should be sold in different channels than retail.
    but that's only the start, like i said, greedy AND tech savvy.

Keitosha likes this.
  7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    So is mining considered the new "gaming"?

sykozis, Keitosha, Valken and 3 others like this.
  8. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    What are you on about? Nvidia has next to no control over what AIB's do with product once the chips have left their factories. If AIB's want to sell pallets of video cards to whomever pulls up to the factory door with a lorry, thats their business. Nvidia (and AMD) still get paid the same amount for chips sold to AIB partners regardless of whether they wind up in your PC or in a mining farm.

Keitosha, Aura89, tunejunky and 2 others like this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Eh maybe. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to accurately convey what channels that inventory is going to. It's currently falling under "gaming" - which creates the illusion that the gaming industry is booming or something when perhaps it's not. They can definitely work with AIBs in order to help track where these cards end up.. probably wouldn't be that accurate, but better than nothing. Seems like already do some form of this because with each quarterly report release they estimate the number of GPUs going to miners in addition to CMP numbers.

That being said I think people are really getting fixated on labels for whatever reason. AMD for example just throws everything under "Computing & Graphics". If Nvidia did this would people feel better? Would it honestly change anything? Idk.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Keitosha, Valken, tunejunky and 7 others like this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I was actually thinking that's shockingly low, compared to Intel's $20.9 billion for 2020, which to me is just utterly mind-blowing when you consider their products are relatively less demanded.

Mineria likes this.

11. TheNipper

TheNipper Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    I wasn't so focused on the value, just the fact that the article suggests they have made complete profit from revenue!

schmidtbag and Airbud like this.
  12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Yea, that's the best P&L statement I ever saw!... A capitalist wet dream.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    "gaming profits"... yeah right... they know people will be pissed off if they call it what it really is, but what it really is, is "selling supposedly gaming gpus to miners profits"...

Silva likes this.
  14. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    I'd like to throw a shoe into leather jacket's face for this nonsense.
    If only I had one.. :(

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The bulk of their business falls under the "gaming" category since forever. The products are "gaming " products. How can they accurately determine what percentage went to mining and what went to gamers in accordance with acceptable accounting practices? Applying percentages to mining/gaming in an accounting statement would require accurate references to the numbers. The cant use the term "approximately" in an accounting statement.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Included in the nVidia info, nVidia states that 80% of its Ampere GPUs went to gaming purchases--as opposed to miners, I suppose.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-80-of-q2-ampere-shipments-were-to-gamers-confident-in-arm-deal-success/

Of course, nVidia doesn't say *how many* Ampere GPUs they've sold. But at least this clears up the "miners are buying all the new GPUs" myth that we see repeated so often with no supporting evidence...;)

nVidia CFO:

"Gaming revenue was up 85 percent from a year ago and up 11 percent sequentially, reflecting higher sales in GeForce GPUs and game-console SOCs. We continued to benefit from strong sales of our GeForce RTXTM 30 Series based on the NVIDIA Ampere architecture. We have introduced Low Hash Rate (LHR) GeForce GPUs with limited Ethereum mining capability and increased the supply of Cryptocurrency Mining Processors (CMP) in an effort to direct GeForce to gamers and CMP to miners. Over 80 percent of our Ampere architecture- based GeForce GPU shipments in the quarter were LHR GPUs[EMPHASIS ADDED]. CMP is included in OEM."

Seems to boil down to yields, imo, for both the RTX-3k and the RDNA2 GPU shortages from nVidia and AMD, respectively. What really is annoying about these shortages is that both AMD and nVidia are loath to supply any specific information concerning these GPU shortages for the past 7/8 months. We get little more than evasion and obfuscation.

PrMinisterGR and tunejunky like this.
  17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    DISGUSTING!!! That's what this is.....NVidia raking it in whilst gamers are paying stupid money to get cards that are barely in stock.....just disgusting! I think they should be ashamed of themselves....I think they need to give something back to make amends.

Keitosha and Fediuld like this.
  18. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    It is a company they made profits, that is all that matters to the company. All the hurt feelings against a company but yet still buy Nvidia cards,amazing.

Noisiv likes this.
  19. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Gaming GPU's are gaming GPU's as far as Nvidias accountants are concerned. Should they divide up the Gaming category into gaming sales used for CAD, for machine learning, for Netflix n' Chill, for FEA simulations, etc, and how exactly do they figure that out? What exactly do you expect them to do?

You are aware that both statements can be true. Hell any business on the planet would be ecstatic to be posting great profits from the last year and be forcasting to sell everything they can possibly produce for the next.

A lot of you guys need to stop drinking whatever kool-aid they're serving in your echo chamber.

Aura89, Airbud and Noisiv like this.
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ethereum hashrate is LOWER than the last quarter. Meaning there is less GPUs in network than 3 months ago.
    The idea that miners added billions worth of GPUs last quarter, yet the hashrate somehow went down is ludicrous.

that's Intel's income for the entire 2020. last intel's quarter $5B.

PrMinisterGR likes this.