Xiaomi is developing OLED gaming televisions that will support NVIDIA G-Sync.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Valken, DannyD and Maddness like this.
  2. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    More options is great but OLED is not for gaming because of the burn in, it wont happen only for the most casual gamer ever.

Binging on one game, WoW or Dota for example? Thats gonna burn in soooo much soooo fast... :( I'd get an OLED for gaming today if this wasnt an issue but it still is.

Brasky likes this.
  3. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah I personally want a mini-led backed screen. One with like 10k mini leds. The cost of those isn't that high albeit I'm sure the first monitors will be outrageous.

4. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I have an LG OLED 65" PC Gaming Monitor with over 8000Hrs and not a sign of burn in anywhere.
    This Xiaomi looks interesting need more information. I do not see anything about HDR and HDR is a feature now for any new monitor/TV in my house.

Valken and Maddness like this.

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Games are generally the type of content that would make it very hard to cause a burn-in i guess. Unless you'd be exclusively binging some strategy or other UI heavy games where you constantly have same pixels in same places for hours every day.

6. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Yes I agree 100%. It is a PC Gaming monitor for me and I never believed the myth of burn in for PC games. Now if one was to watch static images for hours at a time well...

Valken likes this.
  7. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC

The facts are that while oled HAD a pretty big burn in issue early on today's models are SIGNIFICANTLY better at preventing it.

Just like Bob said I too have a display 2019 c9 with 10,000 hours+ of usage and over 4,000 of which is straight gaming and 3,000 of that is literally one game with a static hud. Yet I have ZERO signs of burn in.

And how do I know it's gotten significantly better?

Because I ALSO own a 2016 b6 and played that exact same game on it from day 1 of getting it and within 3 MONTHS (and maybe 500 hours of said game) I already had slight burn in from one element of that static hud.

What was once true about oled is decidedly less so today yet people continue to spread the same FUD as from back then.

I'm sure when samsung (the creator of the biggest smear campaign against oled) actually releases their own oled called "qd display" TV's next year (with suspiciously zero use of the term "oled" anywhere in their most current marketing material for the technology) people will be jumping for joy to aquire them and calling them amazing displays for all use scenarios.... Lol

Just goes to show what power marketing and trashing your competitor with huge bucks behind it can do.

bobnewels and Valken like this.
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Since this is a talk about burn in, it's seriously reduced from the LG 2018 models and on, but that means nothing about other vendors.

LG is doing a ton of things in the panel controller, glass and firmware for this to be possible. I have an LG OLED and I wouldn't even think twice to get another one, but I don't think I would get another brand except Sony perhaps. Even then, I wouldn't be as confident.

Valken and Maddness like this.
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Isn't the brightness level also a factor?

Like on my current IPS i only use 50 cd/m2, which is plenty of bright for my eyes.

10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I brought the 65" CX OLED and do about 85% gaming on it. It shows no signs of burn in and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one in the future for my gaming needs.

Valken and bobnewels like this.

11. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Thats all anecdotal and applies to your use case which is fine, more power to ya.

But the FACTS are that each OLED pixel has a different life span and degrades differently... there are MITIGATION systems implemented in the newer TV's but this has not changed since OLED conception and give it time it will show a defect. Nothing anyone can do about it since if they could, they would by now.

Now that being said, MY USE CASE is the worst of the worst for OLED, i use TV on a desktop environment the most and when i play games i actually play them in a window which is always on the same spot with discord and whatnot filling the rest of the screen (also static). My 85% of gaming time are 2 games with loads of static elements. On top of that i am very sensitive to screen defects, I returned 3 TV's until i got one with 0 dead pixels and almost no DSE while even the first one was a very decent unit that 95% of ppl would actually call "perfect". Call me crazy but thats what i like and thats what i want for my money. Also i sit very close and yeah when i watch a movie from a far i cant see any dead pixels so if you are talking about couch use, that just aint me. In that case, gaming on fullscreen 65" from 2-3m distance all and any defects are going to be waaay less noticable (if at all).

So, yes, for an average consumer and average use case OLED is good enough atm. For us weirdos, it just aint, sadly.

12. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I use the OLED CX 48in as the monitor and I must say the pros far outweight the cons, input latency and pixel response time on these OLED is the best out there.
    With mindful usage I think these new OLED could easily last 5+ years, after that I would just buy a new one and and use the current one as TV.

Valken and PPC like this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Nothing beats G9 Neo for gaming in 2021. Also in 2022 is the year for Samsung QD-OLED TV for the first time. LG, Xiaomi, Sony and others are finished.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Wrong, we'll see. Wrong, wrong and wrong.

I can't understand people seriously saying that panels who are so fast that the manufacturers need to compensate motion blur for them are worse for gaming than any IPS/VA whatever. The best gaming monitor you can get is an LG OLED, period. The G9 Neo is an improvement, but even the 2048 dimming zones are not enough, especially if you consider that they need to be spread out over a massive surface. And they still look bad on angled looking or anything like that. The price (which is the same as basically 2x LG C1 48"), doesn't help either.

I would be really curious to see reviews with real input lag metrics of it, vs the LG that is actually getting real 5ms on 4k120 with VRR + HDR on.

15. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    I completely agree, i just dont want to be mindful tbh, i dont want to worry "have i left the tv on a static image" as i might worry if i turned the stove off, to me thats crazy.

A friend has a CX for 2 years now, he is being super mindful (auto hide taskbar, very low screensaver time, changes backgrounds regularly, 90% of content is fullscreen, etc.) and he doesnt have a burn in yet... at 5 yrs of such usage i bet burn in will be very subtle and only detectable if you really try to find it (or maybe it wont be detectable at all), certainly not during fullscreen video content. But at 300e less i got samsung q80 which (with the latest software) is really 90% of what CX gives and i can leave it on a static image all day long. If you want the absolute best and you dont mind the hassle and the price premium, by all means, go OLED. To me it is not worth it and for my use case the hassle would be too much (playing windowed games will get me burn in no matter what i do tbh, that part of the screen will just be "spent" a lot faster than the rest). Also, computer text (desktop) is not the greatest on OLED because of the white pixel, some dont mind it, some do, LCD is still better here... and during the day, LCD still wins because of the brightness.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Valken, Krizby and PrMinisterGR like this.

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Samsung Q80 is the same price as OLED CX in my country (50in vs 48in) while the Q85/Q90 are more expensive than OLED C1.

Yeah there are definitely shortcomings with OLED like the pixel shift and brightness change when the entire screen is filled with bright content. I have already gotten used to the text clarity and other minor issues after a few months of usage so it doesn't bother me anymore. But I must say playing HDR games and watching movies on the OLED CX give me joy that no other LCD screen can even compare :D.

Valken likes this.
  17. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    I got 55 q80t because 50 q80t is 60hz only (scam, lol) and at the time of purchase CX was 200-300e above it in terms of price. Think this was because CX was in such high demand it was selling like cakes. Since then q80t actually aged remarkably well because new LCDs kinda suck, LG is still on IPS, Sony borked its reputation with x900h 4k120 blur, Samsung went with ADS for everything but qn90a which is 2x price of q80t since its new and mini led but doesnt really give that much better overall picture, blooming is still there, black crush is still there (just a bit better) etc. q80/90t also got a recent software upgrade that did improve local dimming algorithm by a noticeable amount which just added value, i'd really would like to see CURRENT qn90a and q80/90t side by side, i bet its very very close but also that qn90a will get better as the time goes on just as q80t did so the qn90a.

Valken and PrMinisterGR like this.
  18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just saw the new 8K LG OLED (it was 80" or at least 70") side by side next to the 8K Samsung QLED at the mall.

Both were impressive but the OLED just wins me with its clarity, deep space blackness and motion compensation.

Glad it is priced like a CAR so I cannot afford it, nor the GPU to power it. One day in 2025 maybe!

I think the better question to end the argument is if you were given for FREE, OLED vs QLED, which one would you chose? The challenge would end right there.

Maddness likes this.
  19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I know what i'd choose at this point in time hands down.

Valken likes this.