Steam: Nvidia sold 11 GeForce RTX 3000 for every Radeon RX 6000 that AMD sold

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    i think it's been like that forever
    dollar zone favors amd,eur zone favors nvidia
    both in price and availability.

m4dn355 and beedoo like this.
  2. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Same difference in price vs nvidia now, it's about 20% higher for both since launch. So I guess 6 series is just unpopular here...

3. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    you cant judge sales from cherry picked locations.
    it just messes up the numbers. steams survey isnt fit for purpose.
    no clue why the industry dont see it. i suppose they are payed not to.

ManofGod likes this.
  4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Nvidia's GPU sale alone has been making more money than AMD's CPU+GPU combined sales for 3 consecutive quarter now, of course Nvidia GPU would outsell AMD's GPU to a very large degree when AMD is more focused on shipping CPU than GPU, just logical reasoning here.

Nvidia Q1 GPU sale: 2.76 Billions usd
    AMD Q2 CPU+GPU Q2 sale: 2.25 Billions usd

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  6. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Not my fault if you don't understand how the world actually works.

ManofGod likes this.
  7. Tsenng

Tsenng Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080 AMP
    Was planning on going AMD on both CPU+GPU for my new build. Only reason i went 3080 from Nvidia was supply. It was absolutely impossible to get a 6800/6900 at all so the choice was simple. Supply and demand dictates. I got a 3080 January 2021 for 1000$ used and i went for it because there was no other option. Call it bad or good luck but the card broke like 2 months ago (Was a regular gigabyte gaming oc 3080) And the supplier told me it was impossible to get hold of the same card so they sendt a new Zotac amp holo black 3080 wich is much more expensive but the funny thing is the cheaper gigabyte ran cooler + had dual bios switch...Not impressed by Zotac at all. Anyone here have a Zotac AMD card and are you happy with it??

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Let's not forget the RTX 3000 series has been around for longer and came at a time when GPUs weren't in quite as high demand for mining as they were a few weeks later, so I'm sure more actually got in the hands of gamers.

No sane person uses 3dmark as a way to determine if they should buy a GPU...
    The RX 6000 series is fine, and if it weren't for inflated prices, it would be an ideal choice for anyone who doesn't yet care about raytracing.

Maddness and Kaarme like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^

AMD has limited access to wafers to produce their products, like everyone else, so they have to chose what´s more profitable for them. In this case it´s CPU´s, like Horus has explained very well.

And we can´t forget that AMD is obliged to produce a fixed number of APUs for the Xbos and the PS5, further reducing the number of CPUs and GPUs they can release.

Dribble, Maddness and HandR like this.
  10. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    There are some big RT titles that push people to buy Ampere, such as Cyberpunk 2077 and COD, later this year is Dying Light 2.

There are some people don't care about RayTracing yet but Ampere has slightly better price/perf than RDNA2 and RT/DLSS is a cherry on top.

Also I don't believe for a second that people would just outright declare that RT is not worth it before having experienced it themselves. Like when you can maintain playable framerates at the highest visual settings (Ultra or RT ON) why would anyone use lower visual settings?

GoldenTiger likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Dying Light 2 was delayed, Cod rt was subtle so only cyberpunk was a dealbreaker too bad game was totaly broken.

Actually Control was the only tittle rt was worth it.

12. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    Proshop sells in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Austria and Germany.
    So those two lists cover them all, just change no to se, dk, fi, pl, at or de they all the same.
    Prices are higher in Norway cause of import and taxes. It is same on almost anything else too.

@Tsenng
    Sorry to hear about your previous GPU.
    I do not think Zotac make AMD GPUs at all.

13. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah sure I have around 200h playtime in Cyberpunk 2077 and I want more contents, game looks freaking awesome with RT btw.
    Control and Metro Exodus sale numbers pale in comparison to CP2077, so even though RT implementation in Control and Metro Exodus is good, they hardly affect GPU sale.
    Dying Light 2 is scheduled to release in Dec 2021 and the trailers look lit.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    See @Undying 's point.
    I assume you're accounting for MSRP, where last I checked, that statement wasn't true. But with the reality of the prices today, no GPU is a good value, at least in most countries.
    Have you not been on the internet much? People are constantly downplaying RT or even [wrongfully] calling it useless. Although I see the true immense value of it, I'm not surprised nobody cares when much of the implementations of it provide things that were already easily done through rasterization at a fraction of the performance impact. Metro Exodus and Minecraft are the only especially good implementations that I can think of.
    As for "why would anyone use lower visual settings?", if you need to depend on DLSS, you are getting lower visual settings. If you don't depend on it then you're one of the few who was willing to spend more money on a GPU than what some peoples' entire PCs are worth, in which case your point doesn't carry much weight.
    Lastly, to say "not worth it before having experienced it themselves" should be all you need to think about - most technologies that come with a major side effect (whether that be an increase in power consumption, price, noise, performance loss, etc), people are wary of adopting new technologies and will brush them off as not worth getting. Real-time raytracing is the future of rendering, but I'm in the "it's not worth using, yet" camp. If prices were reasonable, I'd get an RX 6000 GPU, which ought to last me long enough until raytracing is mature and isn't so resource-intensive. Too bad for me, I guess.

icedman and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Indeed, you beat me into mentioning that significant factor. Still in early January you could buy/pre-order cards for only a somewhat tolerable margin over the (high) MSRP, but soon after the miners ruined everything. 6700 (XT) wasn't even released back then. When it was released, it was already too late because ethheads were buying everything they could straight from the factory production lines, regardless of the price. So, when the 6700 (XT) finally got out, it immediately carried the insane miners/scalpers' price. I have long believed shops were "selling" (carrying out orders, that is) queued or pre-sold cards all the way to the early summer. In other countries scalpers played a much bigger role, making things all the worse for any cards even a bit late to the game, which were AMD cards, essentially.

schmidtbag likes this.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Zotac don't make AMD cards. They an exclusive partner to Nvidia like Powercolor and Sapphire are too AMD.

I would argue Metro EE and Minecraft are excellent show cases for RT. But you are right for 95% of other RT games, they are just tacking it on for the sake of it as a selling point and probably because they get paid by Nvidia to include it, same as DLSS.

Undying likes this.
  17. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    As these are most likely second hand cards that are being bought on EBAY and the like, AMD is making absolutely zero dollars on that increase. And BTW your numbers come from the DirectX 12 section of the survey, the Radeon HD 8800 is nowhere to be seen in the All GPU chart.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah forgot to mention Metro Exodus. See 3 years after nvidia started pushing rt we are still talking about those few games while rtx owners still trying to juastify the purchase. Definitely worth it.

icedman and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  19. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah right, you haven't had the slightest experience with RayTracing or DLSS, everything you just said are recycled by AMD fans on the internet.

If you think rasterization can imitate RT effect like reflections, look at how Reflection quality affect performance in RDR2 (20%FPS), also the surfaces with rasterized reflections (only mirrors and glasses) and reflection quality is nowhere near RT Reflection level).

Current hybrid RT solution like DXR is always resource intensive because it's both Rasterization and RT, AMD and Nvidia need to balance between Rasterization and RT performance, therefore you will never see good RT performance without sacrificing Rasterization performance. So yeah you can wait for 10 years and still see turning on RT will heavily affect performance LMAO. When you reach a dimishing return with rasterization (Ultra vs High settings), using High settings + RT will make the game look much better than just Ultra without RT.

GoldenTiger and Cave Waverider like this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But their cards are still relevant regardless?.. take away RT/DLSS completely and you still have a powerful card at general rendering. Those features are just value-add bonuses. That's not to mention that people that bought 3080's early (like me) or people that bought 2k series cards just had 8 months of better performance than a bunch of people that literally couldn't even buy a card or if they did - spent like 2-3x times the amount of money. Like at any point during that time (maybe even now I don't check) they could have sold that 2k series card for twice what they paid for it.

That's not to mention that I mined ~$1600 worth of crypto since November lol. My card literally paid for itself and the next card.

You can't deny that RT incurs a massive performance hit for a minimal quality improvement. Whether or not it's worth it is up to the person but you can definitely get 90% of a RT image with significantly more performance just going pure raster. There is obviously going to be some games with worse fake GI implementations, reflections, etc - but it's definitely doable.

That being said RT is the future and more and more of these engines are building in effects that utilize it. So if you're buying a card and you want it to hang around for a while I think it's worth having. There are other features like VRS, Mesh Shaders, Etc that Turing has as well that haven't really been fully utilized yet - all of which could potentially add long-term value to these cards.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Cave Waverider likes this.