Windows 365 Cloud PC costs 18 to 148 euros per month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft has begun providing Windows 365 subscriptions for cloud-based personal computers. This costs a minimum of EUR 18.20 per month per user and a maximum of EUR 147.50 per month per user, dependi...

Windows 365 Cloud PC costs 18 to 148 euros per month

DannyD likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What happens when a subscription expires? do you lose access to the pc?

anticupidon likes this.
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    No, you pay an account restoration and some others fees.
    /J
    I just can't imagine how this will work. If a payment fails, even if the customer did everything right to pay and the bank bounced the check or whatever...then the issues start to pile up.
    So, you show up at work and your OS won't start because someone didn't pay. Oh, the productivity will skyrocket thanks to the cloud power.
    Wasn't it the role of the OS to stay out of the user's computing and ease the translation between users needs and hardware commands? Add the payment/subscription layer in between and we have s winning combination.
    /s

4. Sylwester Zarębski

Sylwester Zarębski Member

GPU:
    AMD
    This is very pricey and options with less than 6-8 GB RAM is useless, browser will take more than 3 GB. 2 GB version is a joke...

5. undorich

undorich Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce Palit 1080
    how about the traffic costs ? are they included ? for example if i start a program stream from around 500mb and i start it 10 times a day, who pays for the 5gb traffic =? is this on top of it ? in hungary 5gb are around 20-25€, mobile. what about the countrys without any so called flat rates at all ?

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    i mean this is just a proof of concept that no one outside some companies will try out.
    Is not for small business, is not for home, is a test that probably will fail.
    can't way when installing an update make the remote machine broken.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Proof of what concept?
    You do know that there are companies who made their living for a least the last decade from renting out remote workspaces for heavy tasks like photo and video editing?

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    No i do not know that, but that does not change my opinion.
    For microsoft this is a test if they can take that slice of market.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    On a business perspective, considering costs of license fees and replacing existing desktops/laptops they probably will take a slice of the market.
    As long as it runs well and saves money it's a win win.

10. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Pretty clear you've never overseen a business account. You don't simply, out of the blue, have your access cut off. You get letters, emails, phone calls, on-screen warnings... and if they do block your access, you can always immediately restore it; it isn't deleted immediately. They're very very thorough about letting you know what's going on. They want to get paid, and they don't want to deal with someone losing their access.

11. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Both of which require A) a GPU, B) huge amounts of storage, and C) more than one monitor (one of them color calibrated).

None of which is even an option with this service.

So, while I agree there are some Telnet style businesses that could use this service, I'm not really sure what the end-user for this is, since users still have to own a tablet or laptop or desktop to access this remote desktop anyway.

12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This sounds weird, 2gb mem when windows 11 requires 4gb.
    Had to opgrade my mediacenter from 4gb to 8gb, because I had to close my browser to play a movie on a very clean windows 10 pc.

On another note I could see a lot of people having fun with renting something like this, filling it with viruses, doing shady stuff or abusing the physical location of the server.
    I think this virtual pc thing will be very locked down.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Pretty clear that you missed my /j just after the first sentence.
    It was a joke, it supposed to be a jab at Microsoft.
    Maybe I saw some enterprise things, maybe I work in the IT, maybe I am clueless. Each one is free to say whatever over the internet.

As usually, what you wrote is entirely true. Never saw an enterprise account suddenly terminated, just so. And there are some things one can do, and after all, they will try to lure you back and keep you into the ecosystem.

I forgive your impulsiveness to put one into a type or whatever this is called. I pretty much don't care at this point to prove anything or pick a discussion over the internet. It's meaningless and a waste of time.
    And it gives this forum a bad vibe, and I quite enjoy the place.
    Alas, I offer you a coffee from my managerial desk from the IT department. Of course, you can believe whatever, you are entitled to your own opinion.
    Cheers!

PS next time when someone writes /J or /S at the end of the paragraph, it's done on purpose.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    GPU and storage is all server side, clients just need a device that can connect to it besides having one or more good monitors.

As for the MS 365 solution, any device will do to connect remotely, just needs to be enrolled into a companies AD, guess even a cheap Chromebook would be enough.