IKEA introduces a side table with an integrated smart air purifier.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. Maulet

Maulet Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6900 XTX
    I have another brand purifier, nice thing. It also comes with an app, never installed it, not even looked at it. wth, it has a sensor and starts on its own when air is dusty ;)

3. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Who da f00k buys anything at IKEA ?!
    Let me guess... Probably some normies with low IQ and zero knowledge of wood (just like IKEA)
    I mean, if you like to pay huge money for fake wood then go on.
    People from Sweden are not buying in IKEA and are laughing from those who are buying there.

FREE Golden Tip:
    Scout area around you, local carpenters will do the same (or better) with better quality and REAL WOOD.
    IKEA means TRASH.
    HQ out

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Not sure if you understand the tier system for products. Of course there are better products with real wood, but they also cost more. Why do you think IKEA has been phenomenally successful? Due to pricing. :rolleyes:

doorspaulo and schmidtbag like this.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Yep, regarding furniture IKEA is actually pretty high up in the price/quality ratio (better quality wood is hugely more expensive, at least in Europe), and the cherry on top is that its easy to get replacements, compatible add-ons (tech and non-tech), etc.

Edit: back to topic, unless your house is a complete disaster, someone actively smokes inside, or someone in the house is severely sick, I don't see air purifiers in a positive light at all, as having everything too clean is actually not good for your health (it causes allergies and other autoimmune issues).

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    It is very, very sad that we are starting to need something like this.

Modern "civilization" is destroying the Earth's surface, polluting the water and the air more and more ... so let's consume even more resources and pollute more to build "air purifiers". I'm disgusted to the bone on the direction humanity is going :mad:

Cave Waverider and Silva like this.
  7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    First of all, real wood costs a lot more in most parts of western Europe, beside that a lot of people trash their oak furniture, especially when they have to move, there are quite some that prefer fake wood.
    Secondly Ikea does have products made out of both laminated as real wood at very competitive prices, why do you think they are in business?
    They also got a lot of other things than just furniture.

Also got a tip for you, if you ever build a new kitchen, the cabinets are the same quality as cabinets from well known expensive brands (worked in a factory that produces those and other stuff for loads of companies), so a lot can be saved by taking those from Ikea and doors and other stuff from somewhere else.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    We don't need indoor air purifiers though....

mohiuddin and Brasky like this.
  9. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    You've clearly never been to an Ikea. And no local carpenter would make me a coffee table for 50 bucks, sorry.

doorspaulo and Mineria like this.
  10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Exactly, for 50 bucks you can barely get the untreated wood needed for an average little table top.

11. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    "The third filter collects gases and pungent smells, such as those produced by cooking."

Does it work for People/Animals too?

12. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    My local carpenters dont even pick up a tapemeasure without $250+ in their hand first.
    Be great if we all could just have bespoke furniture lovingly crafted by local artisans but yeah...

Second hand is a good choice tho, IF you have the time to spend hunting it down and a van/truck to bring it home.

I did our kitchen with Ikea cabinets and counters some 20 years ago, still looks fine.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    We do when you're in the room!
    OOOOHHH!!!

Nah I'm just kidding.

Mineria likes this.
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nah your going to want something industrial for that purpose :D

stormy, Cave Waverider and schmidtbag like this.
  15. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Where are the comparison graphs ?
    How do we know which product to buy without a detailed study of noise levels, performance, vibration, time to clear a 5 square meter room etc etc ?

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    purifier have to assembled too? and seriously why hell would want to have app for it? let alone connect it to internet

17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The only thing that comes to mind when IKEA introduces new gadgets, Italians singing praise to Odin, Master of IKEA!!!

Mineria likes this.
  18. ontelo

ontelo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    These are mainly meant for allergic people. Or people with pets. Doesn't have anything to do with global pollution.

19. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Pretty sure it does, more specifically these thing are always marketed at localized pollution from roads etc as well as pets and pollen. Especially in cities where the connection between air pollution and human health issues have been known about for about 700 years (Although the various pollutants have changed over time)

20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    the only video I saw about those air cleaning device is an engineer saying they release ozone which is a pollutant and that he would never have something like this at home

yes it kills odors bacteria etc..because it's bad for biological things..quoting random internet site :
    "a powerful oxidizer and sanitizer" does it sound like something you want to breath in ?
    same page promoting it :
    "should never purify air with it when people are around" which is exactly how people use it..when they are at home ><
    so the engineer was right, you're polluting your home with a toxic gas basically, which yes kills biological living things, really something I want running when I'm close to them

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021