Some US states tightening power consumption requirements for high-end gaming PCs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2021.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

AHEM!

let's talk reality.

reality is climate change.
    climate change makes hotter summers, which increases the demand for AC, which leads to blackouts and fires from transmission lines.
    these fires are raging now and care nothing about politics.
    indeed every area charred by wildfires in the last three record breaking years has been in politically conservative areas.
    and btw, California has more conservatives than any state except Texas. they have been eliminated from statewide office by their own incompetence not by any masterplan.

2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    don't be dense. these regulations have been created BECAUSE of wildfires.
    excepting an occasional lightning strike, every major fire in the U.S. has been created by transmission lines or arson.
    in California the largest utility in the US is bankrupt from their liability for those fires.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah i believe this need to happen, but the "issues" it will cause will be reason why not done till it to late. Climate change is make issue with food production we already have water and food shortages in parts of world. that will be made more worse when we have 10b+ people.

To most politcis and people Climate change isnt "real" or and issue we need to deal with aka let our next generations deal with our frackup as "we" wont be around for it. and im sorry uncheck birth rates soon or later is cause another problem with food supplies.

I am in no way "tree" hugger but i not stupid enough to not see where this climate change going and what is happen and how thing can and will be made worse with uncheck birth rates.

But none this matters less something is done and enforced and make such rules and regulation is one thing enforcing them is another.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  4. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Dense?....you just said what I was thinking...now cut the trees down away from the transmission lines.

Valken and DannyD like this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Comes down to money goverment dont want to spend to fix issue apparent rather pay the damages that is more? sorta like the Levies that should be fix/redone to stop certain place from be flooded constantly from all the hurricane happen that are bigger then ever before cause of climate change.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Computing performance can both grow through power consumption and design improvements.
    Obviously the relation of voltage and clocks/performance is not linear, I have my GPU undervolted by 150mV and the power consumption dropped by half (the heat and noise too).
    Instead of pushing the max clocks possible, why not settle for a stable reliable energy efficient one? (being unlocked you could push it at home, don't come to me with your gun freedom talk)

I think they should pursue the mining problem directly, but capping the products with a minimum efficiency rating (not a max wattage) would help and not leave some people butt hurt.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the question is how well should such thing be enforced? and would then know if being ignored? people will just have friend out of those states have said item delivered to them and said friend bring it to them it not exactly hard to do i have done it before

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Most people buy prebuilts and aren’t like us mate.

Regarding your other comment, yeah, Google obviously exists for all sorts of info on batteries and electric cars. The details on price to replace/frequency of replacement are certainly out there, but batteries aren’t some magic silver bullet. They have some meaningful advantages certainly.
    You believe this is an effective way to fight climate change? Even though people are still going to buy the same products they just have to jump through more hoops to do so? Agree to disagree I guess, I’m skeptical the rather niche subset of people playing games on their 3090 prebuilts are having a meaningful environmental impact.

Ideally they’d find a more specific way to target crypto mining, but even that you can certainly do without these high end parts so I don’t see this making a dent there either. Seems like a dumb law to me causing inconvenience for no actual benefit.

This type of thing makes me wonder if the law makers are either A) ignorant/they simply don’t understand how pointless a law like this is OR B) they do know, but want to pander/virtue signal to the woke crowd to dupe people out of the loop into believing they’re “helping”? Seems to me it’s tough to push through the legislation that would actually have a meaningful impact because those sorts of laws start affecting big money corps and lobbies. So they do stuff like this instead so they can say, “Look, I’m helping!” when they’ve done nothing useful at all.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    itpro likes this.
  9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    agree!....we've had 121 years to fix it...I'll blame that one on dinosaur farts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

Valken and DannyD like this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This brings me back to the Al Gore South Park episodes lol.

Airbud likes this.

11. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    [​IMG]

DannyD likes this.
  12. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Airbud can't really be blamed, basically the entire environment was dusted or painted with lead when he was growing up

Airbud likes this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    True....believe it or not, when I was a kid we drank water from a garden hose!...

Instead of video games we played kickball, Jumping Jacks and Shoot marbles...Outside Too!

My Daddy had one of the first TV remote controls.....Me.

Valken, itpro, HandR and 5 others like this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    lol

I love this board

tunejunky and Airbud like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk why but this made me laugh so much haha

tunejunky, BlindBison and Airbud like this.

16. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Alexa ain't got nothing on what my Dad had....turn on the light bud! "light on"....mow the yard bud "yard mowed"....wash the car bud "car washed".....he was a true pioneer.

hatchet_ryda, itpro, HandR and 3 others like this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Don't ship gaming PCs but hey, have 5 AC units in your home with reasonably more power consumption just for wellbeing, no issue there. :rolleyes:

Classic example of politicians doing nothing useful.

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    You mean ACs which also have minimum efficiency requirements?

19. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    a lot of truth to this statement.
    between 2014 and 2016/17 everything in my house broke and I had to replace it, water heater, AC unit, refrigerator you name it....everything has paid for itself with Energy savings and I'm cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

60 watt light bulb ring a bell?.....lol/ got to love LED technology.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    ok no one here is dense in the every day sense and i was annoyed but didnt mean to insult.

PG&E (aka Pigs, Greed, & Extortion) is a historically mean and cheap operation. it goes back further than Erin Brockovich, or blowing up the city of San Bruno.

they are just now burying TL and it'll be a 10 year process
    up north it's worse because of more forests in, around, and near Bonneville that have never seen (according to tree rings) this kind of heat.

fry178 and Airbud like this.