MMO New World (Closed Beta) is killing GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    I have a university degree, masters degree and PhD degree and guess what? - in physics...so I know something about capacitors, currents, etc - I don't know about "Jayz2Nothing"...I'm talking about myself here.
    Anyway this is not the point. This game affects both AMD and Nvidia cards so either all are to blame or the software is doing something bad...
    About your statement I think you are wrong..it's like driving very hard a card with ESP and other safety gadgets and while taking a curb at 180+ km/h hitting a tree outside the road...I should blame the car manufacturer for not making the ESP computer good enough to keep me (the less technical one) on the road and not myself for doing something stupid???

Krizby likes this.
  2. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    The little white component that failed is in fact a fuse which has failed by design due to an over current condition.

3. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Hell of a lot of damage for something designed to fail in order to protect the other components.
    That board looks like it will need a lot more work than simply soldering in a new fuse.

4. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Its designed to prevent a far more catastrophic failure such as an exploding MOSFET, not to be replaced.

5. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    EVGA made a mistake putting 20amps fuse that's all, the VRM portion that is connected to each power rail can handle way above 20amps so it doesn't need to shut down to protect anything.

It's like to put an 20amps fuse right after a 30amps one, the 20amp fuse is just useless baggage.

The main problem stem from the power balancing, I believe some of 3090 FTW3 owners already reported that the PCIe Power Plug #1 often draw more power than #2 and #3 that it could just blow the fuse under any circumstance, especially when running 520W PL.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I haven't seen any real reports of AMD cards failing. In fact the only source for AMD cards possibly failing is the guy you claim you don't know "Jayz2Nothing" but he didn't say they were specifically failing. He said he heard of reports of Nvidia & AMD cards failing and crashing and didn't distinguish which was doing what.

And maybe you have a PhD degree in physics but clearly you don't work in applied physics. I have a MS degree in computer engineering and the onus of an overcurrent issue, which seems to be the problem, is on the hardware system and not in software. The car analogy is not a good one because this isn't driving a car. A similar analogy would be if a car's brakes failed because the driver had a heavy foot. You're not going to blame the driver, you're going to blame the car manufacturer for not designing a brake to meet the requirements of the users that drive it, even outliers.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Airbud, hurakura, chispy and 3 others like this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    a game does not break hardware. bad hardware design, faulty firmwares and drivers can.

chispy, MonstroMart and itpro like this.
  8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    You're kidding right?!? HAHAHA....

I mean why?

9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Besides this are there any reliable sources that mention AMD GPU's having issues ?

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    With adaptive sync keeping the framerate below refresh rate became a thing and works best. Thats when limiters come in.

DeskStar and itpro like this.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This is a really stupid question.

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    If that is a stupid question then what the hell does your comment chalk up to?!?

Yeah riiiiight.......

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    See that's an answer there. And thanks for enlightening me on the subject.

Undying likes this.
  14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    @Undying you asked if there is an FPS limiter for Nvidia cards. There is exactly just that in the global settings under manage 3D settings tab. A "Max Frame Rate" option that goes all the way from 20-1000fps.

Just capped my games at 120-125ish and yeah. Crazy power savings to say the least when not running 250-300fps!!

Airbud and Undying like this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You dont wanna limit fps through driver - increases latency alot more than doing it on a per game basis, or through rivatuner.

16. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Although it is true that running game does not talk to the GPU chip directly, high and intensive software load does stress hardware and can cause premature failure. Most of the time it's damage from excess heat damaging either chips or connections between components, caps tend to fail too. So yes, some running scenarios are more intensive than manufacturers anticipate and may not design stuff to withstand the extra stress.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Absolutely agree ! That said even if a menu pushes 1 billion fps it should still be safe .

DeskStar and Undying like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Didnt notice any increase in latency compared to amd driver frtc and rtss.

DeskStar likes this.
  19. hurakura

hurakura Guest

GPU:
    Silicon Graphics
    So this game is like one of those viruses in the movies that make your computer explode. o_O

Passus likes this.
  20. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.