MMO New World (Closed Beta) is killing GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No, it really is a hardware issue. This isn't the first or even 2nd time Nvidia has had parts die prematurely because of a stressful workload. The chip really ought to be able to protect itself from such things. That's what thermal throttling is for.

2. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    I have an EVGA 1080 SC not a single issue, not even with this game

DanielRX likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Wonder if it's the vram thats getting too hot.

HandR likes this.
  4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Of course they have. And it is affecting more titles than our frtc. I think all people should limit their frames up to their monitor HZ or ~25% more as a max value.

5. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    It's not "killing 3090's" It's killing EVGA's FTW3 cards that have been known for months to have power delivery issues, and have been dying left and right long before this game came into the picture.

6. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
  7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sold my FTW3 after Evga kept ignoring the PCIE power issue, dodged a bullet :D

8. bonomork

bonomork Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 6800XT
    The problem is not just with the 3090s, and I speak from first-hand experience.
    On my main PC I have a 6800XT (ASUS TUF) and I noticed immediately while queuing to access the server that the card was getting warmer than normal. I closed the game, then set the FPS cap to 60. Now the temperature in game is 65°C max.
    On my office PC I did the same this morning, mostly as a precaution for what I'd heard about the 3090, but it didn't help.
    The result is that the ASUS R9 290, which has always worked fine now lies on the desk and still smells bad.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Embra and Dragam1337 like this.
  10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    [​IMG]

Might not be exclusive to Evga but it's shining a light on their flaws, and Amazons!

DannyD and chispy like this.

11. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    EVGA has probably sold more 3090's than anyone else too. Would make sense they had a bigger representation of failures.
    Interesting to see AMD cards in the mix now too.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The issue is with poorly designed graphics cards. And it seems to be exclusive to the top end. Which I don't understand? Mid range cards are better designed than top end?

Also, there's a difference between "shut downs" and failures, Jay!

13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Such issues should be prevent by the firmware, not by users or applications.

14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    JayTwoCents never wrote a line of code in his life I am ensured now. He knows everything.

The same goes with people blaming developers and Amazon. The fault is at hardware or better placed firmware level. Vendors and AIBs to blame. Safety precautions anyone?

hurakura, tunejunky, jura11 and 2 others like this.
  15. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    [​IMG]

tunejunky likes this.

16. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Glad i decided to always lock my fps to the max refreshrate of my displays.

17. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    A huge one, specially when the card shuts down for protection(like it should)

chispy likes this.
  18. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of war 3, has the same menu problem.
    I have used it for GPU stresstest a couple of times.
    My Vega runs 120 FPS V-sync locked, 220W chip power and 1550Mhz full boost speed in the main menu.

Apex Legends also has a fairly high load in a rather simple main menu.

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I've reported on this ages ago as i had a problem with a game where it would shoot up to between 3000 and 4000 fps while showing cut scenes or in menus and it caused my system to go nuts. Lucky for me it never damaged my gfx card. BTW that's with V-Sync on and frame rate locked to 240hz/fps. It still did it but soon as the scene switched or the video stopped it would go back to normal. It was a while back now and i forgot which game it was.

I think it was in Doom Eternal and while in the menus too. My pc just went mental and went from 35db up to like 80db and it frightened me at first when it happened. I think it caused my gfx card to throttle because i heard it step down a notch and then went back to normal once i went out of the menus.

I also think a game can't break a gfx card but it can show up weakness in a cards ability to cope with such massive increase in fps. This is why those whom experience this can get a warranty on their card. At least with 3090's you should have at least two years of warranty left or three if you signed up for it.

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    As for limiting FPS, according to Windows Central users have reported issues even with v-sync and other fps limiters enabled, don't have the game nor 3090 so can't confirm.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/amazons-new-world-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

It's funny when literally nowhere except in his 'anonymous mails' there's any mentions of AMD cards dying in New World (not sure of 3080 Ti but doesn't ring a bell either), given his history it wouldn't surprise me if those mails were sent by himself.