Alleged Intel Core i9-12900K beats AMD Ryzen 9 5950X with Cinebench R20 (bigtime)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    i dont know why some people are so salty about this leak. Listen here, competition is good for everyone, especially us the consumer.
    i hope this leak is true so AMD have to bring better product next year. who's the winner? us, the consumer (assuming they didnt price it outrageously expensive tho).

Silva likes this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Folks are salty cause it's not amd, if this was amd they'd switch into bot mode and talk it up whatever it is.

EDK-Rise and Noisiv like this.
  3. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Awesome ,I hope the numbers are even better than reported. We need faster CPU's and whoever makes them I will be buying. Also the jump in the Cinebench number single core is 100% possible and Cinebench is a crappy benchmark for performance of what I care about in a CPU and that is PC gaming.
    I want CPU so fast that it could play Crysis at sustained 60FPS+ and that CPU speed would be around 10Ghz.Get your crap together AMD/Intel and other players. Well giving people what they want would kill the CPU industry but I am selfish

Airbud likes this.
  4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I don't think people are being salty. It's just that a 30% jump in single threaded gen over gen is so unprecedented for Intel that many just have a tough time believing it. I'll be happy if it proves true, though.

As for the consumer being the winner... I don't entirely agree. The problem with halo products is that neither AMD nor Intel have any incentive to sell them at competitive prices, especially considering recent shortages. They are likely to price them at a significant premium until demand subsides. If Intel were desperate and on the backfoot for the better part of a decade things would have been different. As things stand, they are more likely to price gouge rather than undercut until AMD responds.

Airbud likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Caring about the best gaming CPU is such a 2007 thing. For nearly all games, an overclocked 10600K is all you need to get the best gaming experience, where anything else will offer a pretty negligible performance difference. For the small handful of games that max out such a CPU, a 10700K is a nice step up. If you're GPU bound, the CPU is largely irrelevant - a 2600X is usually more than sufficient to keep up with GPU-bound games.
    The fact you have a 7980XE for a gaming rig shows you put waaaaay too much emphasis on CPU power.
    As for RL, that big die is only going to run cool if you allow a large swath of transistors to go to waste.

If games are tuned properly, the small cores should significantly increase performance. If they can be clocked high enough, it might even make sense to play competitive games like CS:GO strictly on the small cores, because they will most likely have better latency.

Nobody should be salty or happy yet because we don't know the power consumption. 30% faster isn't impressive if it uses 30%+ more power.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    sykozis, Agonist and Solfaur like this.
  6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Yep, I can run it colder if I want, but not for absoulute max performance :) Problem with 5 series Ryzen is the heat is being "traped" under the ihs. It's harder to cool. Running direct die is fixing this ;)

There is difference between the "solder" between dies and ihs too. So results may vary. Both 5900x and 5950x here is pretty hot. Even if I run the same "wattage" on 11900k and 5900x, the 11900k is colder with the same cooler.

Performance on 5950x now is pretty good. In Shadow of the Tombraider benchmark, I'm pushing 300fps. Max I managed with 11900k was ~260fps

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yeah. But to be showing off something that the average consumer will never attain in order to try and be better than the competition is a joke.

Because if they did this on air off a Noctua cooler and proved it it would be rather impressive.

And my buddy's 5950 beats and or ties it in the multi-threaded area.

This thing decimates in single core though.

Airbud and Undying like this.
  8. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Sip more drank slowly..... No one's stepping on your toes here...

Just an observation I've made by going through the forum is that it would seem you're triggered by something maybe?

sykozis likes this.
  9. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Yea!....a nice/solid 65w, 8Ghz/16 core that runs 65c maxed out on air cooling would be nice!.....:D

DannyD likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its more like 230w for 8little8big cores that runs 99c on 380 rad.

Intel inside. :p

Airbud likes this.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Nice leak, even if it turns out to be bs.

We need Intel around. I certainly won't be ruling them out for my next upgrade.

12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Shhhh!...I was dreaming, don't wake me up...:p

DannyD and Undying like this.
  13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I think I can hear Tim Allen.....

14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I wouldn't call it an issue anymore, guess we were all kind of ignorant back then, thinking 100c is actually doomsday. There's two things i can say now for sure.

One, running it at 96-101c 24/7 for two months straight didn't damage the chip at all, every bench is spot on.

Two, the chip was actually fine, the cooling wasn't, especially with the overclock I was doing. Had a 240mm back then, I'm with a X73 now and if i hit it with 100% load it hovers around 83-85c at 4.5ghz on all cores.

In games it actually stays at almost idle temps, which are 40-45c because of the core amount I guess, it doesn't really get any load. Like 4-8%.

I don't regret getting it at all to be honest. X299 Is the most stable platform I have ever stumbled upon.

15. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Nice if true, but I find it hard to believe that the performance jump per core from 11900k to 12900k is higher then the performance jump from generation 2000 to 11000 of the core family.

The 5ghz allcore would be a nice boost, but I am afraid that it will be a stock auto overclock.

Nizzen stop promoting the 7980k as being easy to cool in games, gaming load is very low on the CPU and does not in any way show the full load temperature and power.
    A stock 10980k that is very close to a 7980k plays Red dead redemption at 25-30% CPU load with a 2080ti, a 3090 could make that 30-35% CPU load, but still very low compared to full load encoding.
    Other games have the CPU load down in the 10-25% or so.
    The 7980k also needs a delid if overclocked, 4.7ghz would send the CPU to 90 degrees in one Cinebench 15 run in 8-9 seconds with full custom watercooling.
    Longer load will damage the watercooling setup because of high water temps.

It is like saying that I can passively cool my 1700, because when I game it only uses 45 watts, but any more serious load, would make it thermal throttle immediately.
    Just like using a 5950x for gaming use only, when a 5800x would be within 1-3% same performance in games.

Do not call people noobs, because they want to use a CPU for what it is intended to do.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yep, we've been deluged with rumors about Intel beating AMD for years now...;) Yawn...;) Maybe one day it might even be true.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If this is even remotely close to be true, it's good news for all of us.

18. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    My 5950X already requires a chiller so no worries...:D

Just a reminder:

Like nizzen said here as long as it doesn't throttle I don't care.
    Let's hope for the sake of competition and the benefit of us (consumers) that it is true.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    5950x using clock tuner ryzen my cinebench r20 score is 11373, with pbo it was 11300 what's this 10k score ?
    the single thread performance tough...that could make me go back to intel

20. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    It's good to see Intel coming back around. For awhile there it almost looked to me like they could lose their ability to lead the industry. Now with DG2 coming as well-introducing much needed competition into the duopoly GPU sector and dominating high end CPU's Gelsinger will be riding high. I don't cheer corporations like football teams(I have always found that truly bizarre) but Intel is made in America and that I do support. Hopefully DG2 and talks of Nvidia contracting to Intel in Arizona that would be huge! We need to protect our tech industry and 20 billion going into the Arizona plant expansion is great. Semiconductors are a National Security as well as an intellectual security concern.