Scalpers already offer Valve Steam Decks, for up to 5,000 dollars.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Essentially a Switch that plays PC video games... and also, well Emulators... portable Snes, heck yes.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You wont be playing many pc games at those specs. A decent laptop would murder this thing and wont cost much more compared to 512gb ver.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Apparently it's about as powerful as a PS4 Pro... that's kind of cool.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    More or less yes. Xbox one x is powerful as rx580.

Still think one should go with a laptop instead.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    For the specs, the price seems surprisingly reasonable looking at similar offerings that already exist. My only minor gripe is I've got to figure out how to dual boot the darn thing and install Windows too since I want RTSS and Standard AMD control panel features as well as native Windows apps.

I do wonder whether games will run faster on native Windows install VS SteamOS + Proton. From what I gather SteamOS may have specific customizations to make it more performant/lightweight? But then again you've gotta go through the Proton layer (which is quite good in fairness from what I gather).

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The Linux installer of whatever Linux distro you choose will do that automatically. You don't need to set up dual booting manually yourself.

If you want to keep the default Steam OS, then however you'll need to do it manually. It's not that difficult though. I've done it plenty of times.

Native is almost always faster. Unless Valve has some trick up their sleeve we haven't seen yet. Wine/Proton, even though it provides a very fast implementation of DirectX, just as fast as Microsoft's, has issues with shader stutter. Every time a game tries to load a shader, in Proton it needs to be recompiled because Vulkan or OpenGl can not run DirectX shaders. This produces a very annoying stutter.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Just, most PC games make use of a screen that is a bit larger than 7" in the case of various RTS, 4x, etc titles. In the case of FPS or 3ps and such also, and the control scheme is kind of bad for that.

I'm sure there are some titles that'll work OK. I just.. don't see the point :D

In regards to portable emulators then you can get ones that are much cheaper for that purpose.. this is a way overkill device for that, I'd say.

8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that's great to know! Yeah, the stuttering is a hard no from me then lol. Here's hoping they can fix it, it's nuts that we still have to deal with shader compilation stutter in 2021 :( It always makes me happy when games like Horizon ZD or CoD MW 2019 precompile their shaders since I'd rather sit through it at load screen then get stutters in gameplay.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    OK, I completely forgot the thing Valve does with shaders now:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/05/steam-beta-adds-vulkan-shader-processing

So maybe I'm wrong.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Nice, thanks for the link. I don't plan to buy a Steam Deck til after launch when I've seen performance testing, but if I do dual booting it with Windows (or just wiping it and installing Windows if Proton perf with steamOS is worse than native windows perf) is a must since I want to use RTSS and AMD control panel driver features (again, please AMD add some form of half-refresh rate v-sync to your driver for the love of god. Even Nvidia, I don't get why they make you jump through hoops with Inspector to access actual driver level half-refresh rate v-sync, just put this stuff in the control panel for people that want to use it).

One thing I kinda don't get is those touch pads. For one, I think maybe they should've gone with a horizontal rectangle shape rather than a square since in most games you're looking horizontally a ton more than vertically and when the pads are that small won't the user have to set their sensitivity to something wildly high in order for those touch pads to be used as a thumbstick replacement?

Gyro works for aiming for comparison in that you don't have to move your hands off of the analog sticks so you can use both gyro + stick at the same time, but if I have to move my thumb off the analog stick and onto the touch pad I'm not sure how well that'll work. In any case though I suppose you could set them up to act as additional buttons perhaps. Would have to try it I suppose.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It is not because of different shader languages but because of how different graphics APIs handle shader compile. When you play single player games, you can use unofficial DXVK async shader compile builds. VKD3D-Proton for D3D12 doesn't have this issue anymore, as D3D12 and Vulkan are more similar and there were Vulkan extensions introduced for this purpose.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    You under estimate the stupidity of people. it only takes 1 person

sykozis likes this.
  15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Bloatware taking up your steamdeck hdd, blue/ black screen of death, 2 hour updates and multiple reboots on a battery powered device? I'm really not sure Windows will be a good experience on the device.
    Even that Steam Deck (not the best name IMO) will flop, the development made for making games runs on it will be released into the open source community and Linux gaming will grow even more.
    All part of Gabe Newell's plan of leaving Microsoft Windows as operating system gaming platform.
    Will get one when it will be available and on sale. Maybe not for me, but as s gift for my nephew or other kin.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html?m=1
    https://cloud.google.com/text-to-speech
    Then it's irrelevant. I believe Valve only allows people with Steam accounts at least one year old at the time of announcement to reserve only one. Scalping seems a bit of an excessive term.