AMD makes Super Resolution officially open source, four new games get support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Lanczos doesn't do edge-guided interpolation, but this does. So it seems it's based on lanczos, but it's not just lanczos.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    lol no I can't
    and softer image doesn't mean it's worse,take CAS vs DLSS example,CAS was just oversharpened lower resolution.
    SMAATX2 produces softer image than native,is the SMAATX2 image worse than no AA then ?

it's impossible to read these threads with people caring more about opinions than data.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    SMAATX2 is softer than "native"? What does that mean? Whatever SMAATX2 outputs, is native. That is your base for all comparisons afterwards. If DLSS is softer than native SMAATX2, then there's a problem, wouldn't you agree?

4. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    The amount of people associated over-sharpened images as higher image quality are mind-blowing really, hard to fault these people though.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I always respected your opinion and I will do so. No offence taken, nothing and no one is perfect.

Regarding image sharpening, upscaling and software.This thread is getting a bit ...hot. As in the wrong sense of the word. Please, let's keep it cool. We can do so.
    Thank you all in advance.

6. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    What technology provides better or worse image is just a matter of opinion. There is no objective "data" to have here.

Weekend and beedoo like this.
  7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    totally untrue.

8. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    You're entitled to your opinion.

9. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    than native with no aa,try to read whole sentences okay ?
    not a matter of opinion though.
    if you can tell the difference between 90% and 100% resolution scaling,you can compare detail on two upscaling methods too.
    it's not really difficult to understand.

people are trying to make this argument all over again,"it's a matter of preference".
    it's a matter of preference same way as 1080p vs 1440p.
    frankly the discussion that more vs less detail is a matter of preference is idiotic.since fsr came out people claim that worse is better.

dlss was crap according to amd owners.but when a techtuber says that fsr is as good as dlss in his eyes then suddenly fsr is worth losing our minds for.

wat ?
    seriously,this thread is getting dumber by the minute.
    have you never seen a screenshot ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I did, but the argument doesn't really apply here, because AA is not upscaling. DLSS on the other hand is upscaling that promises to provide a result that is very close to what a native render would look like. If an upscaler is blurrier than a native render, then that's an issue. TAA on the other hand promises to get rid of aliasing and shimmering. It does not promise to provide an image that's just as sharp as without TAA. In fact, it's expected that it won't.

An upscaler that promises to provide results that are "very close to native resolution" can be critiqued when it fails to do that. That applies to both DLSS as well as FSR, of course.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    except I never compared smaatx2 to dlss.
    go back,read again.

12. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Sure, you can also do pixel by pixel analysis. Whether the differences matter is just a matter of opinion. You might notice a blurry leaf on a tree in front of you and it will bug you, while I probably won't even notice. Also, I am pretty sure every techtuber always said (or at least implied), that you should try it out for yourself and see if it works for you, even though they provided all the data and their own opinion in their review.

Btw. I never bashed DLSS, nor am I losing my mind for FSR. I don't think either is worth it for a free feature no one forces me to use.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Gentlemen. We all want a smooth Saturday.
    Wouldn't you?
    Just take it academically. No reason to get heated.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I wonder if Valve would be willing to add FSR to Proton for Steam Play. The way Proton works, when you use a lower resolution in a game, regardless of whether you use fullscreen or windowed mode, the scaling is not done by the display nor by the normal GPU scaler. It's done by Proton itself. And you can configure the upscaler as well. For example, I can switch it to integer scaling. (Note that this also won't use the "integer scaling" of GPUs like nvidia turing and newer. It's done by Proton and thus works fine on my Maxwell GPU.)

If Proton would add FSR as an upscaler choice, then what you'd get is FSR support in every game when running it with Steam Play.

(And yes, this would obviously also FSR-upscale the UI of games, but that's probably fine.)

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It's "funny" how in every single AMD related news / thread people with - surprise, surprise - Nvidia GPUs or Intel CPUs show up declaring how whatever it is being talked about is crap / bad / worse than the alternative very vocally.

Then the same people start saying how these threads are always subjective and never factual.
    Catch the irony there?

I own an AMD CPU and GPU but feel no need to bash Intel or NVIDIA just because.
    And when I owned NV GPU and Intel CPU didn't feel the need to bash AMD.

Last, the news item this very thread is based upon contains information that leads you to a download for FSR tech demo.
    So everyone can see for themselves how it looks.

NV users included. Because AMD is cool like that.

Feel free to go nuts over this post (please don't).

Peace?

AlmondMan, jura11, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    What have you done!
    A balanced and respectful view, is one of the most controversial things.

AlmondMan and AsiJu like this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Let me shock you some more, enjoy a few unresized .png screenshots from FSR demo a la moi (remember to click image or open in new tab for full size):

Native:

[​IMG]

FSR Ultra:

[​IMG]

FSR Quality:

[​IMG]

FSR Balanced:

[​IMG]

FSR Performance:

[​IMG]

eminaguil, Spets and AuerX like this.
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I agree... but upscale on screen is like eating a mac donald's burger in a luxury restaurant (it's CRAP lol)
    Our GPU just do mac donald, and the maker say it is luxury food... So yeah, it's the best they can serve for a "normal" price (at least for them...) but it's not enough compared at the capacity they presented to us (mean any brand).
    (but also there is the pro eye that say: upscale is the cheap way, but it fit low cost work).

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think these kind of illustrate the sharpening point:

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/15902

That's Native vs FSR. I think most people would say that FSR is better here. I tend to agree - I prefer the FSR image but it's pretty clear that it's applying a sharpening filter. Which is fine - but that's not recreating native. Back to the video posted of FSR vs DLSS everyone is saying the DLSS image is softer -- but really what's closer to native? I'm going to assume it's DLSS. Then question then becomes what are we looking for in these technologies, to try to reconstruct native as closely as possible or to try to create the most pleasing image to the eye? I think that's going to be up to each individual person.

I think that video does demonstrate that FSR is a really good upscalar, but I'd like to see more games - games with higher texture detail (because in released FSR examples that's where it seems like FSR breaks down) and games with further draw distances and more subpixel details because I also think FSR breaks down there. But then FSR has an advantage in potentially performing better and an advantage in potentially being in more games.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    AsiJu, Spets and AuerX like this.