AMD makes Super Resolution officially open source, four new games get support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's an optimized Lanczos-2 with edge-guided interpolation. It makes use of FP16 when supported for additional performance.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    That really isn't accurate. Their Linux Vulkan and OpenCL driver strategies are dumb, yet their upstream Linux kernel driver support is better than their proprietary Windows regression hell. I've recently switched back from AMD to Nvidia and their Linux desktop windowing performance is pure dogsh*t vs. AMD's. RadeonSI and RADV are great drivers too (the latter not thanks to AMD directly, but anyway).
    It's definitely not black and white...

Regarding FSR being open source: Crap doesn't getter better just because it's open source. Leaving AMD for this pathetic and deceitful attempt in favor of DLSS definitely was the right thing to do for me. FSR makes a laughing stock of open source.

Fediuld likes this.
  3. Weekend

Weekend Guest

GPU:
    1660 S
    it has to be after AA and before any post effects.
    also running a game on 1080 output on a 4k monitor with a reshade post effect (that is running on the 1080 res output) can't magically make it 4k again. the image needs to be resized into new res output.
    I'm not saying it's impossible but it would be a bad implementation.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    not im asking this dude specifically,
    what does accelerated half precision do for vega/rdna quality that it doesn't do for pascal.

too strongly worded but the premise is not untrue.
    it's like with dlss 1.0 - you could make it work in every game and still no one would care.I only used dlss 1.0 in metro to see ray traced GI in person,and believe me some of it was an ordeal for my eyes.

so far neither nvidia nor amd have found a way to make upscaling work flawlessly,but nvidia knows it's still a long way and needs constant improvement,while amd just released an open source lanczos upscaler and act like they did something huge.no one in pc enthusiast community cares about traditional upscalers,never did,never will.get back to me when it's as good as native.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    AMD did state that this is just the first version of FSR, and that they had plans to improve and iterate on it.
    I do wonder if they will ever ad temporal accumulation, or even Machine Learning.

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    until fsr can reconstruct detail,improve on antialising and reduce not increase shimmer,it's not gonna be interesting for the majority except people who like buzzwords.let's face it,most of fsr supporters like it because it's amd,if it was done by intel they'd thrash it.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dont think that's really fair. Alot of games simply do not attempt to upscale at all leaving it entirely to the driver/os/monitor, or they use really nasty looking fast/cheap techniques.
    FSR isn't anything special, however just having an off the shelf solution available without restrictive licensing, can make a difference for improving the overall state of graphics performance on high res monitors, without as much of the nasty blurring/aliasing that usually accompanies upscaling. for this reason it is interesting to developers, perhaps more so than dlss.

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yes
    but the question is
    have you ever cared to use upscaling ?
    it's not that fsr is bad at it,as far as I looked into it it's a pretty good upscaler.
    but what is it really for ?
    I don't think it's really that useful on its own.that's why I'm so puzzled they're not incorporating it in ray traced games but a bunch of titles that my old ass gtx1070 can play smoothly at 1440p.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Linux PC is a tiny fraction of open source, its not even relevant to the majority of opensource that dislikes AMD's poor software qa and support ethics for device extensions.

when you only factor linux, then sure amd is loved, but linux is full of narrow minded deviants anyway that have focused their concepts of need so tightly they can't even see when they are being hard core braindead about it.

AuerX likes this.
  10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Well, in my defense I was putting high hopes into FSR, as I dislike DLSS being vendor-locked a lot. Though these hopes were then crushed when I realized that without any temporal component, it would in no way be able to compete with DLSS 2.x and might even be worse than TAAU (which DF then confirmed when testing it).

There is a suprisingly high number of people that advocate FSR just because it is open source. They don't care if it actually has any benefits over TAAU + sharpen, it's complete madness.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    AuerX likes this.

11. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    You don't have to wait any longer.

There is a video up on YT running that comparison of DLSS vs FSR on a 3090.

FSR was generally, marginally faster than DLSS and the video author preferred the look of FSR.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Care to link?

13. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil

Airbud, Undying and AsiJu like this.
  14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I remember struggling to run games at native res wayback (1920x1200?) and having to compromise by dropping the resolution (and therefore upscaling )leading really bad blurring (was particularly bad on the geforce 7000 series). The utility of only having to render at 75% resolution but still getting a fairly clean image with ui elements running at native is self evident. Im sure raytraced games will pick it up eventually if they arent nvidia sponsored or employ their own upscaling techniques. Its Still pretty early mind you.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That is seriously impressive showing from fsr considering its still 1.0.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    let's maybe compare uncompressed screenshots to native instead of losing our minds for this.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Considering its in early stages competing with dlss2.2 and offering sharper image and more performance is enough to loose our minds over this.

18. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    maybe for you lol
    sharper image ? where ?
    how much more performance is it too ? in half of the video they're the same or dlss runs faster.
    also,wasn't comparing yt videos considered unfair for amd like a month ago ? now it's enough to lose our minds.... lol.

all those dlss/fsr threads are a circus honestly.
    we're supposed to lose our minds for fsr after seeing one yt video.
    no screenshot comparison.no dlss/fsr vs native.

what a joke.
    not gonna get sucked into this fanboyism until i pixel peep every inch of dlss vs native and fsr vs native

Krizby likes this.
  19. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can clearly see dlss have softer image and lower performance in many scenes. For what it is fsr looks damn impressive and i would prefer it in this game. Even the uploader said it. We need more games to compare.