New gpu require new Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by tsunami231, Jul 13, 2021.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So I just realized, Almost no new GPU comes with DVI-D anymore and my my Monitor is HDMI or DVI-D.

How realistic is to get DP to DVI convert to be e used with this 180hz Gsync compatible monitors that coming at for 1440p?

or should i just bight the bullet and by new Monitor before getting new Gpu?

As i highly doubt I gona find 3060 to higher gpu that have Dvi-d at this point or much any new gpus.

The hdmi port solo for UHDTV have other wise there no way to connect it seeing almost none them have DP port. or Would GPU with 2 hdmi with just as rare work for me? i dont do dual view or cloning I just do Monitor or UHDTV but not both.

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    DVI-D is electrically compatible with hdmi, I would just get a passive hdmi to dvi adapter, the only time you might run into an issue is if the monitor was dual-link dvi. dp-dvi should be avoided if its an older gsync monitor with the module.

edit: there are alot of cards with 2x hdmi ports, so that would be my recommendation.
    if you dont need both displays running, you could always use an hdmi switch instead, as an alternative solution.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so hypothetically I can just get new gpu with 2 HDMI hook one up to my monitor and one uhdtv and be fine seeing I only have 1 or the other enabled ? but from what i read I would not be able to have both running at once, if for some reason I needed too? I only reason I could come up with need both running ti match color on monitor and uhdtv which would need both running at same time for.

I really not ready to buy new monitor it more likely i get new gpu. seeing there nothing wrong with monitor other then it 1080p, my uhdtv can do 1440p and 4k but still use the highest res my monitor can do which 1080p on my uhdtv when pc game on bigscreen

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    cards with 2x hdmi will be able to run them in dual display mode, (cloned or extended desktop ), , but in the case you decided to get a card with 1 hdmi , you could also just use a switch , thats all I meant to imply, adapters for displayport to dvi/hdmi can work too , but they wont support hdmi gsync, they can also be troublesome since there are a variety of chipsets and they dont necessarily mention which one in the specs, alot of them wont work at higher resolutions.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Good luck in using a DVI > DP adaptor at anything over 60hz. Even if you bought an expensive active adaptor. Your best bet would be to stick to HDMI.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So when I was reading gpu with 2 HDMI cant output both at at same time not true? hmmm if only Evga sold gpu with 2x hdmi, i dont remeber they last time I bought gpu that was evga, that I did not instantly regret and return, probably back when BFG was thing still

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    depends on the graphics card.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I can't actually think of a video card that hasn't supported at least 2 dvi/hdmi outputs simultaneously( that has at least 2 such connectors) in the last ~15 years, you could always ask the oem if you're worried about it.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will look into 2x hdmi gpu if i dont get new monitor first. thanks for info

10. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Be aware that you cannot switch resolutions just like that on LCD displays. Your TV is either 2k/1440P or 4K. You cannot display higher resolution than it is monitor's native resolution and setting lower resolution does result in distorted image. Best performance for dual displays is if they are of the same - resolution and refresh frequency.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am aware of problems with Fixed res panel. The higher hz monitor vs 60hz UHDTV might be issue, but only from HZ stand point, resolutions would be the same.

I been using 1080p and 1440p on my UHDTV Native (4k) and it a clean image compare to bellow 1080p on my monitor, to point I could use 1080p or 1440p or 4k and all would clean sharp image granted 4k is much better. but no where as bad as view sub 1080p on 1080p monitor as i would never use a res below 1080p cause anything but 1080p on it utterlay bad. and anything scaled from 1440p or 4k down to 1080p on montior is bad.

by that mean the desktop is just utterly bad to look at, games would be okish, 1440p and 1080p desktop on UHDTV is great to look at, and see no issue with it in game, 4k is better though.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Stupid question what are the chances R-IPS panels are used in 60HZ monitors? Frankly I been look at 4k TN panels which i can get for about same price I would pay for a 1440p monitor that is that does 120hz +

Even when I get new monitor am more likely to game on my 55" UHDTV so the 120hz + and gysnc/vrr really isnt gona mater much. The VA panel my UHDTV uses is faster then most IPS panels only r-ips is faster. prefrence still ies in VA cause they are faster then IPS.

Honestly look in to new monitor cause I want to match highest res monitor can do with what uhdtv can do with is 1080p/1440p/4k Monitor current maxes at 1080p. and my current monitor is dvi or hdmi which cause issues. going from TN to IPS or even R-IPS isnt gona change how sucky contrast/ blacks are for me cause both TN and IPS/R-IPS are bad

been eyeing this
    https://www.displayninja.com/asus-vp28uqg-review/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021