Red Dead Redemption 2 receive NVIDIA DLSS Performance Boost of up to 45% on GeForce RTX GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    RodroG, DannyD, Lily GFX and 2 others like this.
  2. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    User comparisons here

Maddness and Stormyandcold like this.
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    The numbers look nice, but, this is DLSS Performance mode, right? Which means it probably looks quite poor, hence no screenshots?

EDIT: It actually looks decent. I'm surprised.

4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Does it work for DX12 only or Vulkan as well?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly in motion it's not great. Lots of artifacts and looks way oversharpened. Supposedly downgrading the DLSS .dll to 2.2.6 improves this but I haven't tested it.

Both

Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not bad it only took three years. :p

insp1re2600 likes this.
  7. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Why does this kinda looks like failure? Seems rushed as they just saw FSR so they released it knowing something better is already up. (but not made yet, and possible after this rage it won't even be xd)

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's clearly not rushed as they announced it months ago.

It's just a bad implementation for whatever reason. Perhaps the engine isn't setup in a way they need it to be. Perhaps Rockstar just couldn't care less about implementing it correctly. Who knows.

For the record browsing over on the /r/pcgaming subreddit, most people think DLSS improves the image overall because vs TAA it's way less blurry. Personally I think both do terrible jobs for different reasons but reception is definitely mixed - I don't really see "rage". And saying FSR is "something better" is hilarious.

D1stRU3T0R and Solfaur like this.
  9. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Only 45% at performance mode ? Looks weak, that is the kind of thing you're expecting from quality mode.

10. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Exactly. DLSS would have been great 2 years ago in this game. Doesn't really matter today anymore...

D1stRU3T0R likes this.

11. Lily GFX

Lily GFX Member Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3090 Xtreme
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/red-dead-redemption-2-nvidia-dlss-upgrade-out-now/

Depth of field almost invisible cause of the upscale + sharpening and
    the tail and mane on the horses look odd at performance quality.

Depth of field and object motion blur gets affected by sharpening is common thou and is
    reason I prefer little to no sharpening when using ReShade, in game settings or similar
    post fx.

Might try later how quality look and perform but have to redownload unless I can find
    a backup.:)

12. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Good move - game looks amazing even without it, sadly this won't make a difference to revive the dead grind intensive multiplayer.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Performance mode looks like garbage so you need quality mode for somewhat acceptable image quality, which only gives like 10-15% FPS lol. Oh did I mention this patch reduced overall performance by 10%? So running DLSS quality with latest patch is more or less the same FPS as native resolution in last patch.

14. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Yeah I noticed this too, before I would get around 85FPS in the benchmark with my RTX 3070, now it's down to 76 FPS with the same settings. And DLSS quality only bumps that up to around 90FPS.
    Also unlike other DLSS titles this one has ringing/oversharpening artifacts around certain edges, like your horse and foliage.

15. Merlena

Merlena Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 8G
    I like it. I can now max out with DLSS Quality, and still keep around 60 FPS with a 3070.

PrMinisterGR and AuerX like this.

16. Benchmark shows 13% less FPS on Pascal. They also added a warning that R* no longer supports W7. Great "patch".

17. xwonic

xwonic Guest

GPU:
    2xMsi GTX660ti 2gb
    Last EDIT: i'm sorry, -.- Ignore my reply, when switching to dx12 all my setting were defaulted to low-medium, that i didn't pay attention to them and detail and i only saw number in front of me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Airbud likes this.
  18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It does to me. I bought this about 6 months ago on sale. But I needed to finish up a couple of games I was playing at the time. So for me, it's perfect timing.

19. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So far 2.2.6 looks the best with next to no artifacts or ghosting, I recommend using that dll with the sharpen+ filter to bring out the textures.

Stormyandcold, Krizby and Denial like this.
  20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm getting about 120 average fps with the DLSS setting on quality and the game basically maxed out in the ingame benchmark. That's with DX12, haven't tried the other one just put everything to ultra and turned off motion blur.

Haven't got round to starting a new game or playing it yet. Just used the benchmark and settings.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021