Substantial FPS difference between Resident Evil Village cracked vs DRM ON (Denuvo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD and Neo Cyrus like this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  3. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Has anyone ever experienced how in moments of extreme stress, time seems to slow down.
    The stuttering is a 'feature', meant to simulate the loss of cognitive ability suffered when being violently attacked.

mbk1969 and Aztec2Step like this.
  4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I’m enjoying the empress version

Undying and Passus like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Pirates get a better experience than those who paid for the game. Good work, Capcom.

Imagine buying a car, which had such an anti-theft measure that even when the legit owner was driving the vehicle, the thing would lose 80% of the engine power periodically and randomly for, let's say, 10 seconds, without the owner being able to do anything about it. It would drive anyone nuts. Fortunately Capcom doesn't make cars.

AsiJu, olymind1, Keitosha and 5 others like this.
  6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's a great analogy.

Undying likes this.
  7. FireGate_13

FireGate_13 Member

GPU:
    Twintech 9800GT
    EMPRESS had to disable every game animation that checked with Denuvo if the game is legit. So the cracked version does not have certaion animations.. We see clearly that the witch-vampir does not grab Ethan, Ethan is not trying to defend from bees, counter attack is not working in game .. Maybe Capcom will remove Denuvo some day. Till then I wont play EMPRESS shitty cracked version.

8. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    I'm not trying to defend DRM in any way, since we all know it's bad, but so is a 4 core CPU in 2021.
    I would like to see the same test done on at least a 6 core 12 thread CPU, which is the mainstream minimum of this current year.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The point is, it's doing what we've always knew it's doing, degrading performance, just because it might be possible to brute force our way through some of the performance loss doesn't mean it's not BS that shouldn't be stomped out. A 7700K isn't that different architecturally from a modern Intel CPU, certainly not nearly as different as Intel would like you to think, it's still a usable CPU... not to mention most games don't even properly use 8 threads to this day.

Dragam1337 and barbacot like this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Assassins Creed also had similar thing with Odyssey i think. Uplay crap also slowing the game down.

11. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    my lad plays rocket league , fortnite & minecraft , Forza and a few others on his I7-3770 - 1060 gtx, I share game pass and my steam library using family sharing, I think its disgusting that out of the 4 physical cores on my lads pc 1 of those would be sorta dedicated to DRM forcing an unneeded upgrade, GOG has the right idea and I get from there when I can.

He is now trying Days Gone, steam 1080p high details no issues I can't imagine what it would be like with Denuvo installed.

not everyone has the money to upgrade ( like myself ) or get the games day one but have to wait ( like myself ) until they come up either used ( ps4 ) , discounted in online stores or appear in game pass.

I understand that more detailed , larger and more ambitious games require more resources but that's just LAZY programming.

as an example look at day one PS4 games and look now, the SAME PS4 i bought when released but recent games play better, higher frames and better visuals on the same platform so why isn't this approach being used in the PC scene, i guess MONEY, forcing upgrades that costs for a GPU alone in excess of a PS5 or Series X, disgusting.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Why are companies still using that Denuvo garbage???

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sigh... how many times we've been through this, and still the legit buyers get the shaft. Shame!... to say the least.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    It shows that Denuvo is the issue even if it hasn't been completely removed from the game.

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    even though I always pay for my games,let me say this clearly: pirating this would help a good cause imo,it's unacceptable for paying customers to get this sort of experience.
    now everybody help !

16. 021 jcu 570

021 jcu 570 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire tri-x 390X
    I SAY DEATH TO DRM !!

17. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I'm anti-DRM, but I think this video is clickbait. The 10+ FPS segments are all during the moments when the user has control of the camera and swivels the view away from the high-poly models on the cracked/Empress version. There's a difference but it's impossible to tell since the two segments of gameplay are so dissimilar. The frame drops noticeably when the player is grabbed but that doesn't happen in the cracked version so we can't definitively say how big those (biggest) drops might be. In the steam version, the camera is focused right on the action during these segments and on the Empress version the camera is panning away (to minimize the FPS hit?).The only real comparison is at the very beginning of the video where the two are synchronized. In that situation you have a +1-2fps difference on the cracked copy.

TL,DR; Only segment with legit comparison shows difference around 1-3%.

GoldenTiger and AsiJu like this.
  18. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Did you just watch the first 20s? While they're not perfectly synched, the two videos are displaying roughly the same scene.
    The steam version had about 15 occurrences of massive lag (response time 100~150ms, i.e. 6-10 fps), lasting a few seconds. The cracked version had zero.

How do you explain that, bad luck?

19. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I’d rather save $50

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah DRM...

Got me thinking though. Are games like Village and Odyssey really poor ports for PC, or is it the DRM dragging things down? I recall that Forza on PC also had similar DRM/decryption problems.

I feel like even COD Cold War is affected somehow as when I compare my mates PS4 vs my other mates PC with GTX970 it's night and day difference (both in the same room), where as going back a few years it was a lot closer in terms of performance.